Which hardware you plan to buy soon

Dex4Sure

Level 3
May 14, 2019
Depends on what he will do with his PC. If the PC is for gaming I actually think the Ryzen 5 generation is the better and more affordable choice.
Old comment I know, but currently Intel is actually cheaper and readily available unlike new AMD gen... You can get i7 10700K here for 339 euros while 5800X is 469 euros... And 5900X and 5600X are constantly out of stock. i9 10850K (10 core) is 439 euros as well... So, Intel CPU's are actually cheaper, on stock and more affordable currently. When I got 10900K back in fall for 499€ I knew AMD stuff was coming and was going to be impressive. However, I also predicted they would be constantly out of stock for months on end and I did not want to wait that long, so I just went Intel. And honestly, don't regret it. Its not like these Intel CPU's are slow even if AMD is faster.

SecurityNightmares

Level 40
Verified
Jan 9, 2020
This is on my list:
  • PowerColor Radeon 6800 or 6800 XT
Done.

I was able to get hold of an XFX 12GB Radeon RX 6700 XT QICK 319 Core at today's launch.
Unfortunately, not directly from AMD, because their site was hopelessly overloaded (I got to the last step of the purchase, but then it was over).

I also pay ~230€ more than MSRP but XFX is (very good) custom card and slight better than stock. It was the cheapest one too.
Card should be arriving at Saturday.

blackice

Level 33
Verified
Apr 1, 2019
Done.

I was able to get hold of an XFX 12GB Radeon RX 6700 XT QICK 319 Core at today's launch.
Unfortunately, not directly from AMD, because their site was hopelessly overloaded (I got to the last step of the purchase, but then it was over).

I also pay ~230€ more than MSRP but XFX is (very good) custom card and slight better than stock. It was the cheapest one too.
Card should be arriving at Saturday.
Congrats!

Boring

Level 2
Jan 21, 2020
I like your choices, security123. (y)

1. A NVIDIA rtx 3070/3070Ti whenever there's one, just one, available. Prob. the 3070 as my PSU is borderline for watts.
2. Monitor--27" 144Hz, 1440p. LG or ASUS brand but best to keep an open mind. Black Friday deals sound good but will most likely be ordering online. Don't like going into stores any more, for obvious reasons. 😷🤧

Remember to sanitize your items when they arrived at your doorsteps 🙃

venustus

Level 58
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Dec 30, 2012
Thinking about a USB-C hub. Any suggestions, or what features to look for, or what to avoid?
Well worth the money :)

mkoundo

Level 5
Verified
Jul 21, 2017
Thinking about a USB-C hub. Any suggestions, or what features to look for, or what to avoid?

Well worth the money :)

One more option for you: I have the startech thunderbolt 3 dock. It supports:
  • dual 4k monitors @ 60Hz
  • 85W power delivery
  • 6 x USB 3.1
  • SD 4.0
  • gigabit ethernet
  • headset jack
  • windows and mac compatible
So far it has worked as intended. The only downside is the cost. The thing to look out for is the power delivery rating and if you're running 4k monitors to ensure that the dock can drive them at 60Hz. 85W PD is enough for most ultrabooks but you need to check. The easiest way to do that is to have a look at the power adapter that came with the ultrabook.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 48
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
If you don't play games or use programs like photoshop etc. 8GB is still enough.
There wil be a slight benefit from going to 16GB (and use your ram in dual channel mode, so 2x4GB. 2x8GB or 2x16GB).
The most benefit you will notice is going from an HDD to an SSD.