Which hardware you plan to buy soon

blackice

Level 32
Verified
Apr 1, 2019
If you don't play games or use programs like photoshop etc. 8GB is still enough.
There wil be a slight benefit from going to 16GB (and use your ram in dual channel mode, so 2x4GB. 2x8GB or 2x16GB).
The most benefit you will notice is going from an HDD to an SSD.
For our work laptops we use Teams, Outlook, a web based accounting system, excel and Acrobat extensively and simultaneously. They have 8GB and I was just discussing with a colleague today that memory was getting tight..

Opc9

Level 6
Aug 2, 2020
how much difference will it make if I upgraded my rams from 8GB to 16GB? anyone?
16GB will be better than 8GB and there should be a noticeable difference if you multitasking or have several apps opened at the same time.
32GB is generally way more expensive and overkill for most users. I would not recommend this option for most people.

Also has @Gandalf_The_Grey said if you are using a HDD going to an SDD will be more beneficial.

SecurityNightmares

Level 37
Verified
Jan 9, 2020
There wil be a slight benefit from going to 16GB (and use your ram in dual channel mode, so 2x4GB. 2x8GB or 2x16GB).
The most benefit you will notice is going from an HDD to an SSD.
Fast RAM / RAM OC can also add up to 20FPS or more. Always depending on RAM and other system components.

More RAM also means less disk usage and RAM is also still a lot faster than any SSD - even m2 SSDs.

Opc9

Level 6
Aug 2, 2020
Fast RAM / RAM OC can also add up to 20FPS or more. Always depending on RAM and other system components.

More RAM also means less disk usage and RAM is also still a lot faster than any SSD - even m2 SSDs.
For most users programs have to be loaded from your local disk storage before it gets loaded into memory
even if you have tons of RAM but a regular HDD you will bottleneck you entire system. Faster or more RAM
and slow local disk storage is not ideal. Using a SSD or M.2 drive removes a significant bottleneck it greatly improves
the time it takes to load programs into memory.