Advice Request Which is best free Anti-keylogger software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
I was going to type Ardamax then I saw the word "Anti". Zemana Free offers system wide keystroke encryption unlike its competitors, so it's the best.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I use 360 TS which has anti-keylogging built into the program. I can't tell if it's superintuitive or superunderpowered, because the only time I distinctly remember getting an alert is when I purposely ran a keylogger test from Zemana. I know there have been other times, but I can't specifically recall them. The test:

Zemana Antilogger Keylogger Leak Test

Thing is this test could easily be a def in the 360 a-v too, so I don't know. Privatefirewall monitors for anything attempting to "Read Keyboard State". I wonder if PF gets the message first, and then I block, leading to no response from 360.

I ran a simple test on this, and it seems to me that 360 only worked some of the time that PF indicated there was a possible keylogging threat. The PF alerts are a very broad thing that don't differentiate between hotkeys and recording key strokes, but it is good to see. I approve these only a single time at a time if at all. PF also monitors for Simulated Input, so mouse clicks and simulated keystrokes are blocked...

6 months ago I would have said I like this set up, but I would like to find another way to do this now. I have tried the free programs, and I had some compatibility problems with PF and/or 360, so I had to uninstall them all. Comodo Firewall or CIS is a consideration, but I feel (just me probably) a little bit let down by the GUI. Features are great but the settings are jumbled together (net behavior/local behavior) too much for me. I would like to see an intuitive division between net protection choices and settings and local protection choices and settings. I feel certain it does a good job with anti-keylogging, but I will wait and hope it gets more user intuitive or maybe find something else or perhaps pay for an anti-keylogger...

Reactions: mal1 and Hangtooth

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
the only time I distinctly remember getting an alert is when I purposely ran a keylogger test from Zemana. I know there have been other times, but I can't specifically recall them. The test:

Zemana Antilogger Keylogger Leak Test

That's good. Sometime it would be good for you to post an article on MT bringing that test to to people's attention. I don't see any point in taking the test myself though, since my current anti-keylogger is Zemana. :)Looking for a discount on a Spy Shelter lifetime license.

I have tried the free programs, and I had some compatibility problems with PF and/or 360, so I had to uninstall them all.

I take it you refer to the free anti-keylogger programs?

By the way, one variety of free anti-keylogger programs is the category of secure onscreen keyboards, which one uses with mouse clicks rather than keystrokes. I have used Neo's Safe Keys with satisfaction.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I take it you refer to the free anti-keylogger programs?

Yes, only the free ones. I have heard that Zemana's Pro version is quite a bit better in many ways.

By the way, one variety of free anti-keylogger programs is the category of secure onscreen keyboards, which one uses with mouse clicks rather than keystrokes. I have used Neo's Safe Keys with satisfaction.

Interesting. I am not 100% sure that I am not protected adequately now. I just don't know. PF is set to ask for all programs for keyboard monitoring and some of them are set to block. It's just that it's hard to say what's going on underneath everything. I do allow key monitoring with Office, including Word and Excel, so I don't know. Maybe key encryption is the ultimate or maybe even the only practical answer to this issue. Seems like a very good option. At any rate, I don't think I would like using a mouse to type for whatever reason...

Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
At any rate, I don't think I would like using a mouse to type for whatever reason...

It's much easier than you would imagine. I actually think it's kind of fun. It is a necessity if your keyboard goes temporarily bad on you. Therefore Windows supplies an onscreen keyboard, but it's not as secure as Neo's. I definitely use Neo's whenever I have to enter my credit card info, of which I'm naturally super-protective.

Reactions: AtlBo

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Out of the ones you use as onscreen keyboard : Oxynger Keyshield is the best, it is supposed to defeat hook/kernel/hardware based keyloggers, screen logging protection, mouse logging protection,clipboard logging protection, shoulder surfing protection, no fixed keyboard format for entering sensitive data.And its free and portable.:D

If you enter sensitive data in a phising page,then nothing can be done no matter what you use.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
  • KeyScrambler
  • Zemana
There are lots of different types of keyloggers that use a wide range of keylogging techniques.

None of the currently available anti-keyloggers will protect against every single type of keylogging.

In-the-browser script based keylogging is the one you should really be worried about; as far as I have been able to determine via online research and email-based conversations with some developers, none of the anti-keyloggers protect against it.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
I would vouch for spyshelter in the paid category, the free version is crippleware.
– Keystroke Encryption in SpyShelter Free Anti-Keylogger works only with popular browsers and it’s configuration options are limited.
Same with Keyscrambler free.Only Zemana free offers system wide keystroke encryption.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
No one can expect 100 % protection from any security soft.

And no security soft vendor guarantees 100 % protection against 100 % of all security risks.

Well, maybe there are a few out there making, what seems to be, a 100 % guarantee - until you read the fine print.

They're idiots.

N

NOLF92

Thread author
I would vouch for spyshelter in the paid category, the free version is crippleware.
– Keystroke Encryption in SpyShelter Free Anti-Keylogger works only with popular browsers and it’s configuration options are limited.
Same with Keyscrambler free.Only Zemana free offers system wide keystroke encryption.

I wasn't impressed at all with the free version, especially how they deactivate the software after a few hours and you have to restart your computer in order to reactivate it. The only way to remove that feature is to get the paid version, which I'm not exactly motivated to due after them partaking in such a shady practice. I'm sure the paid version is great, though...

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Out of the ones you use as onscreen keyboard : Oxynger Keyshield is the best, it is supposed to defeat hook/kernel/hardware based keyloggers, screen logging protection, mouse logging protection,clipboard logging protection, shoulder surfing protection, no fixed keyboard format for entering sensitive data.And its free and portable.:D

I think it's probably better than Neo's, but I can't use it on my OS.

None of the currently available anti-keyloggers will protect against every single type of keylogging.

In-the-browser script based keylogging is the one you should really be worried about; as far as I have been able to determine via online research and email-based conversations with some developers, none of the anti-keyloggers protect against it.

What would you recommend for that, hjilbx?

This is true. Zemana gives a better freeware, while SpyShelter is arguably the best paid keylooger.

Reactions: Rishi
H

hjlbx

Thread author
What would you recommend for that, hjilbx?

There is nothing but measures that you will probably find extremely inconvenient...
  • Private\Incognito browsing mode (disable all browser extensions)
  • Disable java script
  • No-Script or equivalent
Even I won't mess with any of these because they make browsing pratically unusable.

I just surf and don't fret about it...

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
There is nothing but measures that you will probably find extremely inconvenient...
  • Private\Incognito browsing mode (disable all browser extensions)
  • Disable java script
  • No-Script or equivalent
Even I won't mess with any of these because they make browsing pratically unusable.

I just surf and don't fret about it...

Thanks, hjilbx. I know NoScript is highly regarded. I downloaded it on Firefox, but after I took a look at it I decided to postpone it till I had more time to devote to it.

Reactions: Rishi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.