Advice Request Which is better - Nano AdBlocker or uBlock Origin?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Nano Adblocker works better out of the box if you use Medium Mode. Otherwise, you can accomplish the same in uBO with some Nano filters, but you may need a bit more rule-making in Med. mode. It's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

I can't say I agree with @Gandalf_The_Grey (and I rarely disagree with the wise Wizard!:)) on the trust issue. On Chrome/Chromium-based, both are great. There is no Nano for Firefox. Development is slow for both these apps on Edge. The only issues I have personal experience of with either extension are on Edge 1809 - ubo is broken, Nano is partly broken. When functioning, I prefer Nano in Edge.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Nano Adblocker works better out of the box if you use Medium Mode. Otherwise, you can accomplish the same in uBO with some Nano filters, but you may need a bit more rule-making in Med. mode. It's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

I can't say I agree with @Gandalf_The_Grey (and I rarely disagree with the wise Wizard!:)) on the trust issue. On Chrome/Chromium-based, both are great. There is no Nano for Firefox. Development is slow for both these apps on Edge. The only issues I have personal experience of with either extension are on Edge 1809 - ubo is broken, Nano is partly broken. When functioning, I prefer Nano in Edge.
I didn't want to mention it because I can't find the website anymore.... see spoiler ,but sadly no proof... :emoji_disappointed: For me I won't be using Nano anymore.
uBlock Origin or AdGuard are both fine and for the moment AdGuard works better on Edge, because uBlock on Edge is an ill maintained fork.
But when chromium based Edge arrives it could be that the original uBlock Origin can be used on it.
He cheated by adding a code so that a website showed Nano superior to uBlock and AdGuard in being not detected as using an adblocker.
He was rude to Ramon Hill (creator of uBlock) and he is not very helpful when you have issues.
IMO he is just a spoiled brat using another mans work.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I didn't want to mention it because I can't find the website anymore.... see spoiler ,but sadly no proof... :emoji_disappointed: For me I won't be using Nano anymore.
uBlock Origin or AdGuard are both fine and for the moment AdGuard works better on Edge, because uBlock on Edge is an ill maintained fork.
But when chromium based Edge arrives it could be that the original uBlock Origin can be used on it.
He cheated by adding a code so that a website showed Nano superior to uBlock and AdGuard in being not detected as using an adblocker.
He was rude to Ramon Hill (creator of uBlock) and he is not very helpful when you have issues.
IMO he is just a spoiled brat using another mans work.

I was not aware of this. Thanks!

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Well, I see there is NA by yet another developer for FF. I still prefer Nano Integration filter in uBO. After a while it becomes too difficult to stay on top of these other forks, with updating, etc.

Reactions: Nestor and bribon77

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
It was on one of the comparison threads here, but I can't find it unfortunately... :emoji_disappointed:
I assume you are talking about my inquiry over at Wilders.

Some might consider it bad to have filter specifically for browserleaks, others might not. Personally, I would go with uBlock Origin out of those two.

From what I remember, the development of Nano over at Edge is in halt until Microsoft switches over to Chromium. And uBlock over there is not being actively develop either way.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
None of the above.

For ease of use:
  • Adguard Adblocker
  • TunnelBear Adblocker
  • Adblock Plus
Screenshot taken on Firefox, but are more or less the same for Chrome users.

uBlock Origin:

Nano AdBlocker:

Adguard AdBlocker:

TunnelBear Blocker:

AdBlock Plus:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I assume you are talking about my inquiry over at Wilders.

Some might consider it bad to have filter specifically for browserleaks, others might not. Personally, I would go with uBlock Origin out of those two.

From what I remember, the development of Nano over at Edge is in halt until Microsoft switches over to Chromium. And uBlock over there is not being actively develop either way.
@Azure Yes, that's the post I was looking for. Looked in the wrong forum :oops:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.