Which is less likely to get malware or viruses Android or iOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

IOS is less likely, Android is much more vulnerable as there are many more apps that are dodgy, but doing stupid things like jail-breaking IOS will make it more vulnerable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am guessing iOS but not sure.
Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile are quite secure platforms, they don't allow .EXE like Windows Desktop. :p
Google Play is the only current App Store that allowed Antivirus Apps, while Windows Store and iOS App Store does not.

March Edit: Rogue/Compromised Apps can still infiltrate the Windows and iOS App Stores.

Last edited:
C

CySecy825

Windows Phones is safest choice

Android OS is much more Malware vulnerable than others

IPhones have some critical bugs

IMO

Reactions: safe1st

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Indeed, WinPhones are the safest. I wouldn't say Android is less safe. Thing is Android is the most used. Same applies to Windows. Being the world's most used OS makes Windows the most attacked one. Being Android the world's most popular system, makes it the most attacked one. I'd take a risk and say if iOS ever becomes the most used one, it will be much more vulnerable.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but android, IOS, and Windows Phones are all secure. Reason: If and only if you use the built in market/store to download apps (controled environment). The problem with Android: "Allow Unknown sources" can be enabled, thus allowing you to install apps from non-market locations (more likely to get malware). So, on android...stick with Google Play and don't enabled Unknown Sources. Google spends millions monitoring both Google Play and your device (yes, they actively scan your phone for malware).

We can go into things such as fragmentation (older Android OS), but I don't think that would be a problem with most users on this board.

Use this example of above with Windows: If Windows 10 only allowed installations from the Windows store, how much less malware would we likely see on Windows PCs? Probably an enormous amount because Windows would have the ability to control what gets put into the store, which would in turn limit 99% of the junk .exe made across the internet. Yes, less options...but that's another story. I honestly think that is the direction Microsoft was trying to take Windows 10 store (more secure Windows PC environment via controlled apps...+ more money of course).

Last edited:
Reactions: Morvotron

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but android, IOS, and Windows Phones are all secure. Reason: If and only if you use the built in market/store to download apps (controled environment). The problem with Android: "Allow Unknown sources" can be enabled, thus allowing you to install apps from non-market locations (more likely to get malware). So, on android...stick with Google Play and don't enabled Unknown Sources. Google spends millions monitoring both Google Play and your device (yes, they actively scan your phone for malware).

We can go into things such as fragmentation (older Android OS), but I don't think that would be a problem with most users on this board.
What do you say about Stagefright?

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
What do you say about Stagefright?

Anything made with software will be exploited. Android, IOS, Windows plateform, Linux, ...etc. I wasn't affected by it. No one I know was either. I believe they fixed that issue back in 4.0 if my memory serves me correct. Fragmentation is an issue with Androids, but I don't run a third world 2.2 build of Android as my daily. I like Nexus phones for the pure android experience + fast updates. I'm not bias towards android in no way, I just think most of the android malware news is purely 'hype' and non-existent towards most of the modern world...otherwise I would be making a killing scanning android phones with AVs ;)

Last edited:

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
“People who love themselves, don’t hurt other people. The more we hate ourselves, the more we want others to suffer.” ― Dan Pearce | #StopBullying

I like your quote BTW ;)

Reactions: Morvotron

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its all about the strict implementation where IOS may have less likely to have viruses than Android considering the audience use and its weakness points. The 'Bouncer' from Play Store tend to bypass some programs lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.