Battle Which is the best antivirus for heuristics and behavior block ?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
@Nico@FMA : I think you actually use Symantec, right? Did anything get past yet?

Symantec is good but need to tweak the settings, stock settings arent great, same for Kaspersky.

I use Symantec yes, however i am using the Endpoint solution which is totally different from their "home" packages.
In regards to their settings if you take NIS its actually a performance based setting that has a trade off between protection and user understanding. But yeah you are right the stock settings are not great, but certainly not bad either.
When it comes to their EP products the stock settings are almost stellar.

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
I use Symantec yes, however i am using the Endpoint solution which is totally different from their "home" packages.
In regards to their settings if you take NIS its actually a performance based setting that has a trade off between protection and user understanding. But yeah you are right the stock settings are not great, but certainly not bad either.
When it comes to their EP products the stock settings are almost stellar.

Norton/Symantec need to beef up on their products again anyway, since 2009 they went downhill alot. Their security products
were awesome, both home and business, now they have to catch up again, they focused too much on backup solutions,etc.

We had Symantec until their 2008/2009 versions, until we got a Trojan in out network that spread over all PCs (XP back then i think)

Since then we no longer have a home group as well.

If Symantec beefs up on their cetection alot then i might get back to them. But hey they 39 million which arent detecting much, they could just optimize that entire database plus the engine, beef up and enhance SONAR and their web filter and theyre good to go.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Ps forgot to reply to the question if anything did get past (Sorry)
2 weeks ago we did have a dirty USB being used at one of my client networks during a moment when SEP was actually turned off.
However Sonar remains active on the background and will protect the OS corefiles and the SEP config files from being tampered with.
Thanks to this we where able to avoid a mass spread of some stupid network Trojan.
Yet after running SEP clients trough SEPM admin panel all infections and corruptions where solved faster then snow melts before the sun.
So did get anything past? No not yet. The only few times that something did get past was when we loaded a wrong DEF file as it got corrupted and even then SEP was able to use their "backup" signatures and warned us about it.

Reactions: Secondmineboy

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Ps forgot to reply to the question if anything did get past (Sorry)
2 weeks ago we did have a dirty USB being used at one of my client networks during a moment when SEP was actually turned off.
However Sonar remains active on the background and will protect the OS corefiles and the SEP config files from being tampered with.
Thanks to this we where able to avoid a mass spread of some stupid network Trojan.
Yet after running SEP clients trough SEPM admin panel all infections and corruptions where solved faster then snow melts before the sun.
So did get anything past? No not yet. The only few times that something did get past was when we loaded a wrong DEF file as it got corrupted and even then SEP was able to use their "backup" signatures and warned us about it.

Nice :)

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Norton/Symantec need to beef up on their products again anyway, since 2009 they went downhill alot. Their security products
were awesome, both home and business, now they have to catch up again, they focused too much on backup solutions,etc.

We had Symantec until their 2008/2009 versions, until we got a Trojan in out network that spread over all PCs (XP back then i think)

Since then we no longer have a home group as well.

If Symantec beefs up on their cetection alot then i might get back to them. But hey they 39 million which arent detecting much, they could just optimize that entire database plus the engine, beef up and enhance SONAR and their web filter and theyre good to go.
You might want to contact Symantec and have them run a demo, you will be surprised how fantastic they have become since 2008/9 as back them they where inferior today they rock the boat in the EP market.
Not trying to sell SEP products here lol, but really if this is what you know about them at this point? Please pick up the phone call them...
You are in for a true shock...

Reactions: Secondmineboy

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
You might want to contact Symantec and have them run a demo, you will be surprised how fantastic they have become since 2008/9 as back them they where inferior today they rock the boat in the EP market.
Not trying to sell SEP products here lol, but really if this is what you know about them at this point? Please pick up the phone call them...
You are in for a true shock...

Their Endpoint products are great, maybe just a new design for the UI and thats it.

But their Home user versions arent that great right now, maybe they can take technology from their Endpoint lineup over just like Kaspersky did numerous times?

Reactions: Nico@FMA

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Secondmineboy: I've also experience where my USB before contains a bunch of autorun/worm that Norton Security successfully disinfect, although Auto-Protect seems to be so passive but assurance the Cloud and Sonar integration helps a lot as I've encounter too that.

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
@Secondmineboy: I've also experience where my USB before contains a bunch of autorun/worm that Norton Security successfully disinfect, although Auto-Protect seems to be so passive but assurance the Cloud and Sonar integration helps a lot as I've encounter too that.

They still need to improve, mostly their home versions, SONAR could get better too. Their sigs arent great as well.

Reactions: Hangtooth

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Secondmineboy: Definitely, I think for sure that one of the reason why Norton didn't participate like AV-Comparatives is their way of relying the protection where majority were through cloud than traditional signatures. ;)

Reactions: Hangtooth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.