Battle Which is the best free antivirus for Android?

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
May I ask why do you need the AV on Android device? Is your device rooted or do you use unknown sources?

Reactions: aseu2k15

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
My opinion : If you want a paid one - Dr.Web for android or Avast *Premium
Free : 360 security for Android(If you do not feel confident about providing anonymous statistics regarding 360's usage, make sure you disable the Customer Experience Improvement Program option.) Or CheetahMobile Security.
or
AV-test.org results

Last edited:

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
My Vote goes to CM security.

I had one infected Android Device. It was so infected that even after full reset the viruses were there and it was auto connecting my Wifi Data even if I tirn them off. In addition to it the malware was downloading lots of Softwares in my device. After infection every day my device was auto installing 15-20 softwares everyday and I was resetting the device everyday. I tries all Anti Virus for Android and only CM was able to detect them and guided me to disable them.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Comodo Mobile Security is my current choice, because it's much lighter than any other AV I've used on Android, but as far as security is concerned, Avast Mobile Security Free wins the prize for me. I just don't have it installed since my main device is non-rooted and I don't really install too much on it which does not originate from the Play Store.

Reactions: aseu2k15

aseu2k15

Level 1
Verified
Nov 26, 2015
Mine uses CM Security, its web filter was good protecting my chrome. Also I love their built-in App-Locker (with intruder selfie: take a photo of someone entering incorrect password/draw pattern) to protect my Apps from intruders.

Downloaded by 100+ million peoples and has many good reviews.

Reactions: Rishi

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Mine uses CM Security, its web filter was good protecting my chrome. Also I love their built-in App-Locker (with intruder selfie: take a photo of someone entering incorrect password/draw pattern) to protect my Apps from intruders.

Downloaded by 100+ million peoples and has many good reviews.
I actually made a full translation of the software in Greek, a few days ago, using Comodo Mobile Security's Crowdin page. :D I love it and I believe that in the future it's features are going to be enhanced even further!
BitDefender Free is more than sufficient. Its feather light and simple with no non sense junk features.
I have never tried any of BitDefender's products, but they do have a recent reputation for having a dramatically limited resource usage and, primarily, a very small memory footprint. I'll be sure to try it out on my testing devices. :D

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I have never tried any of BitDefender's products, but they do have a recent reputation for having a dramatically limited resource usage and, primarily, a very small memory footprint. I'll be sure to try it out on my testing devices. :D

BitDefender Free is basically a cloud based minimalist anti virus only software, meaning there is no gizmos like system cleanup, phone theft protection etc, etc. Whenever an app is installed it get scanned in the cloud its as simple as that ;)

Reactions: Ink

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Unless the user visits every website under the sun and downloads anything that ain't from play store, the need for such security tool is obsolete. Yes you may consider quality of life but in the end takes up spaces and resources for no real reason behind it.

Reactions: enaph

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Unless the user visits every website under the sun and downloads anything that ain't from play store, the need for such security tool is obsolete. Yes you may consider quality of life but in the end takes up spaces and resources for no real reason behind it.
I have turned off the real-time protection from Comodo Mobile Security on my main device, and pretty much have it as an on-demand scanner right now. It just feels better for me when I know there's at least a security application sitting on my phone, ready to be enabled in case something goes wrong. (which really shouldn't since I don't use my main device for testing random apps and the like)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Is there a need for an antivirus on Android? Unless someone's really experimenting on shady sites or software's. I think one's phone will run better without it. Moreover having a Linux kernel is more than safe.

Reactions: Andrew999

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Is there a need for an antivirus on Android? Unless someone's really experimenting on shady sites or software's. I think one's phone will run better without it. Moreover having a Linux kernel is more than safe.
This would be the case, actually: Android has no need for security software, so long as the phone is NOT rooted and the user is practicing safe computing habits. Other than that, having an on-demand scanner for that impossible case where there is suspicion of an infection, is not entirely a bad thing. Maybe it's just unnecessary and an overkill. xD

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my experience to used few of Antivirus, its worth to check and test Dr.Web, ESET or even Avast.

Usually they have almost the same features from protection up to anti-theft capabilities, performance on how stable + battery consumption varies.

Regarding if AV is need for Android? The answer is optional at all, its beyond user preferences considering more applications are exist on that OS.

Reactions: Andrew999 and Rishi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.