Battle Which is the better Adblocker: Desktop Software or Browser Extension?

Y

yigido

• I was a big fan of uBlock Origin (formerly uBlock) before. Then, I tried Adguard extension and it has a local filter for my language. I love this.
  • I tried free AdMuncher software and it isn't good as much as Adguard Windows (even extension). AdMuncher also does not support HTTPS website filtering so you will see ads on HTTPS website while using AdMuncher. (Youtube, Facebook etc.)
  • About AdBlockPlus, yes it is so famous but we have AdGuard extension and uBlock Origin. I prefer uBlock Origin over ABP. ABP has limited filters by default and it hasn't good and useful features like uBlock Origin.
I am using Adguard extension now. I do not want an application to filter my all traffic. Extension does the job well. On very few website, Adguard Windows can block better. If you have a key or you have enough money to effort, buy Adguard Windows. It is great app. If you want free, use Adguard or uBO. Others cannot be close these application's quality level.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Browser extension is fine for those casual users especially if they provide aggressive yet effective within less errors. So as usual Ublock or Adguard extension.

Of course having a full functional program will indeed help not only to filter advertisement in browsers but from programs we run.

Reethu

Level 1
Verified
Oct 15, 2014
  • I was a big fan of uBlock Origin (formerly uBlock) before. Then, I tried Adguard extension and it has a local filter for my language. I love this.
  • I tried free AdMuncher software and it isn't good as much as Adguard Windows (even extension). AdMuncher also does not support HTTPS website filtering so you will see ads on HTTPS website while using AdMuncher. (Youtube, Facebook etc.)
  • About AdBlockPlus, yes it is so famous but we have AdGuard extension and uBlock Origin. I prefer uBlock Origin over ABP. ABP has limited filters by default and it hasn't good and useful features like uBlock Origin.
I am using Adguard extension now. I do not want an application to filter my all traffic. Extension does the job well. On very few website, Adguard Windows can block better. If you have a key or you have enough money to effort, buy Adguard Windows. It is great app. If you want free, use Adguard or uBO. Others cannot be close these application's quality level.

Seems like you've used a lot. You should also consider AdFender as I described in this post. I'd like to know what you think about it. :)

Reactions: Nevi
Y

yigido

Seems like you've used a lot. You should also consider AdFender as I described in this post. I'd like to know what you think about it. :)
Actually, I never used it, this is why I did not comment on it. I just checked their site and I saw that many good things are available for PRO users ;) AdFender | Download (on the left)
I will still prefer Adguard, it seems the best about what it does.

simbelmayne

Level 3
Verified
Jul 4, 2016
Hey people, here's the one for you: who cares about adblockers if that freaking "cookie use" message is on every new page on every website? I use the default free ABP, and it copes with its job, but cookie... it drives me really crazy :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: Nevi and Rolo

Naqeeb

Level 1
Verified
Aug 16, 2016
AdBloker is working fine at my end. I'm using it since last 2 year. did not found any issue with it. suggest to you people. if there is any best altertative that you have guys please let us know the comparison. i will adopt that also.

shicomu

Level 1
Verified
Aug 22, 2016
I'm using the disconnect plugin.

To me it's a choice ; when we all block ad's like hell we will lose some very nice services in the long run ( youtube for instance.. )
For that reason i don't mind the ad's but i do want to keep out the bad stuff.

Disconnect does that for me ; keeps out the bad stuff but allows the right stuff

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Another alternative:

Install SimpleDNSscrypt set it to Adguard DNS, now you have DNSscrypt protection, blocks ads, trackers and phishing websites, and also a parental control instrument for your browsers. Of course it is in Beta so it wont block 100% ads some useful Ads might get thru. Adguard DNS - the free DNS with advanced ad blocking

If you play with your smart phone its unwise to configure your router to use Adguard DNS as it may also block useful game Ads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi, Varok and Ink

Varok

Level 1
Verified
Nov 27, 2016
Another alternative:

Install SimpleDNSscrypt set it to Adguard DNS, now you have DNSscrypt protection, blocks ads, trackers and phishing websites, and also a parental control instrument for your browsers. Of course it is in Beta so it wont block 100% ads some useful Ads might get thru. Adguard DNS - the free DNS with advanced ad blocking

If you play with your smart phone its unwise to configure your router to use Adguard DNS as it may also block useful game Ads.
wow let me try that adguard dns ,my adguard trial already expired

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I am currently involved in the beta testing program of adguard premium and I must say that I am quite impressed with the program. :) I would shell out cash for this program for sure! :D

Reactions: Nevi and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.