Compare Performance Which is the better Adblocker: Desktop Software or Browser Extension?

Discussion in 'Compare Apps' started by skandaloes, May 5, 2016.

?

Which Adblocker is the best?

1. Adguard for Windows/Mac (Not browser extension)

76 vote(s)
    32.9%
  2. µblock

10 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Adblock Plus

17 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Ad-Muncher (Not browser extension)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other (see post)

8 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. µblock origin

120 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. Tairan

Tairan Level 3

Oct 1, 2016
    Dayton, OH
    Ublock Origin is the best! Most filters and can ad your own, but super light and secure! It is like Adguard but lighter and available on most borwsers (even Edge now).

2. Kubla

Kubla Level 2

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    Adguard gets my vote, you can replace Ublock Origin with it by adding the much of the same filtration and eliminating overlap between the two plus you get Adguard stealth mode and all its features and there is the advantage of having one less extension thus a little bit better fingerprint non-uniqueness.

3. AnnonMy

AnnonMy New Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Australia
    As others have said - Adguard is great for system wide blocking and uBlock origin is great for browser, personally i like uBlock origin cause I don't need system wide blocking and uBlock origin has other useful features like webrtc blocker etc.. Personally when I tried AdFender it was rubbish, let adds through and crashed etc but that was a little while ago.

4. Paul123

Paul123 Level 4

Dec 9, 2016
    IT Web Developer
    London
    Windows 10
    Zemana
    #44 Paul123, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    I used to use Addblock Plus, but people on this forum put me onto uBlock origin and I have to say it's the best for browsers.

I used to have Admuncher for many years and found it pretty good for getting rid of system-wide adverts, and now its free, but I dont have it on my current system, as apps these days dont seem to suffer from ads as much (well apart from TuneIn radio & AVG products), and those that do I tend to fix by disabling the ad source in my hosts file.

I still have Peerblock, which isn't really an ad blocker, but prevents a lot of nasty intrusive pop-ups etc. Although its lists are fairly old and its not really being supported anymore it does stop a surprising amount of 'bad' stuff. I haven't tried Adguard, but it does sound useful.

5. Marko :)

Marko :) Level 10

Aug 12, 2015
    Croatia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Adguard browser extension can also be light like uBlock Origin. Just enable optimized filters on bottom of settings page and that's it. :)

6. Rolo

Rolo Level 18

Jun 14, 2015
    Retired Electronics, Computer, Network Engineer
    North Carolina
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    This is a tough question as both are good products.

Without the licence, I use uBlock Origin for the reasons already stated in post #5. The speed and the manual blocking capability is unmatched. I use it for Chrome (my default browser) and Firefox. I use AdblockPlus for Edge and IE due to lack of free alternatives.

With the license, I'd keep AdGuard for 6 weeks, then switch for 6 weeks (or until I missed what AdGuard brings).

7. giants8058

giants8058 Level 4

Jan 26, 2016
    US
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    I'd have to go with Adguard. Doesn't slow down browsing where ADP does with Internet Explorer. Isn't the whole point of an adblocker to speed things up. Not to mention ADP has had some shady practices in the past.

8. Rolo

Rolo Level 18

Jun 14, 2015
    Retired Electronics, Computer, Network Engineer
    North Carolina
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    I have never had an ad--flash or otherwise--get by Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin, or AdGuard.

Unless you are talking the host sites own ads that are inline with the content and not part of an ad network...

9. konkisko

konkisko Level 1

May 13, 2017
    London
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Extension is much easier and comfortable

10. amir 957

amir 957 Level 4

Jan 9, 2017
    Iran
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Browser Extention in my opinion
    I prefer uBlock origin
    Because It works great and it is really light :)

11. S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

May 22, 2017
    US
    Since I do not require system wide blocking, I use Ublock Origin with custom set filters.

12. woomera

woomera Level 6

Jan 15, 2012
    all the windows app blockers require some sort of payment while the extensions dont. they work great and much less trouble with false-positives.

13. dJim

dJim Level 2

Mar 12, 2016
    españa
    Privacy Badger the best one

14. Malware Person

Malware Person Level 4

Jun 8, 2016
    United States
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    desktop version of Adguard is the absolute best. if you want a browser extension, go for ublock

15. Adguard desktop for me. Light, easy and without issues in my system.

16. Arequire

Arequire Level 18

Feb 10, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    If you've got programs that display ads that you wish to block then a system-wide blocker is preferable. If you only want to block ads in-browser then extensions are sufficient.

Cats-4_Owners-2 likes this.
  17. orthonovum

orthonovum Level 3

Jun 17, 2017
    Infosec
    USA
    I switched from adblock to Ublock and never looked back. Ublock coupled with the Palo Alto firewall blocking ads, google-analytics, crashalytics, anything in the web-advertisements category I haven't seen any ads in a long time. I forget they exist then I use another computer and I am shocked at the amount of ads all over the internet.

I have not tried adguard but I don't see a need for it, maybe I will try it out just for fun

18. Glashouse

Glashouse Level 4

Jun 4, 2017
    Germany
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    My vote goes to Adguard desktop version. Protects all installed browsers, works well if it is tuned and you don't have to mess with to many extensions which bloat your browsers...

Cats-4_Owners-2 and ispx like this.
  19. ispx

ispx Level 13

Jun 21, 2017
    not reachable
    totally agree. you just stated all that i had in mind. if i aint wrong adguard desktop even blocks ads on skype.

Cats-4_Owners-2 and Glashouse like this.
  20. tuffkirby

tuffkirby New Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Mcdonough, Georgia
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    Adguard. Using the browser extension is good enough. Also if you are using chrome, Get Poper Blocker. It blocks pop-ups pretty good.

Using the desktop version of adguard can block multiple ads in apps though.