Battle Which is the better Adblocker: Desktop Software or Browser Extension?

AnnonMy

Jan 20, 2017
As others have said - Adguard is great for system wide blocking and uBlock origin is great for browser, personally i like uBlock origin cause I don't need system wide blocking and uBlock origin has other useful features like webrtc blocker etc.. Personally when I tried AdFender it was rubbish, let adds through and crashed etc but that was a little while ago.

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I used to use Addblock Plus, but people on this forum put me onto uBlock origin and I have to say it's the best for browsers.

I used to have Admuncher for many years and found it pretty good for getting rid of system-wide adverts, and now its free, but I dont have it on my current system, as apps these days dont seem to suffer from ads as much (well apart from TuneIn radio & AVG products), and those that do I tend to fix by disabling the ad source in my hosts file.

I still have Peerblock, which isn't really an ad blocker, but prevents a lot of nasty intrusive pop-ups etc. Although its lists are fairly old and its not really being supported anymore it does stop a surprising amount of 'bad' stuff. I haven't tried Adguard, but it does sound useful.

Last edited:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
This is a tough question as both are good products.

Without the licence, I use uBlock Origin for the reasons already stated in post #5. The speed and the manual blocking capability is unmatched. I use it for Chrome (my default browser) and Firefox. I use AdblockPlus for Edge and IE due to lack of free alternatives.

With the license, I'd keep AdGuard for 6 weeks, then switch for 6 weeks (or until I missed what AdGuard brings).

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I use Adblocker Ultimate firefox extension i would think it does the same thing as adblock plus but adblocker Ultimate allows you to clean up those annoying flash ads that adblock plus may miss by few clicks here and there you can make any object on the web page you find undesirable vanish
I have never had an ad--flash or otherwise--get by Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin, or AdGuard.

Unless you are talking the host sites own ads that are inline with the content and not part of an ad network...

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If you've got programs that display ads that you wish to block then a system-wide blocker is preferable. If you only want to block ads in-browser then extensions are sufficient.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017
I switched from adblock to Ublock and never looked back. Ublock coupled with the Palo Alto firewall blocking ads, google-analytics, crashalytics, anything in the web-advertisements category I haven't seen any ads in a long time. I forget they exist then I use another computer and I am shocked at the amount of ads all over the internet.

I have not tried adguard but I don't see a need for it, maybe I will try it out just for fun

Sceptoris

Jun 17, 2016
Adguard. Using the browser extension is good enough. Also if you are using chrome, Get Poper Blocker. It blocks pop-ups pretty good.

Using the desktop version of adguard can block multiple ads in apps though.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.