Battle Which is the lightest antivirus/security suite you used in last 6 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Which is the lightest antivirus/security suite you used in last 6 months?

You can vote to the product either you used only av or security suite like avast user can vote to avast "option" either he have avast free avast pro or avast IS.

You can mention it in your reply. ;)

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Please Note that I have not named MSE in list because there are only 10 options and MSE is light on the system as we all know and its a Microsoft product,I listed only 3rd party av in the list

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
i have been using avast free since last 4 months....it uses just about approx. 10 mb ram....doesn't feel any system slowdown at all....

D

Deleted member 178

Comodo IS (1 local AV, 1 Cloud AV, 1 Firewall, 1 HIPS, 1 Sandbox), all those for 20mb only (working set), hard to find better; maybe Panda Global.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would have to vote for Avira Free, the only AV that I didn't see any performance drop when putting my laptop to sleep/wake. General usage was okay, but cannot remember RAM usage.

ESET (not beta) is also very light, despite RAM usage. Very transparent to the OS. No Ads or bloat.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well I have not used any of them with in the 6 months. The one that I have used is Trend Micro.

D

Deleted member 178

McLovin said:
Well I have not used any of them with in the 6 months. The one that I have used is Trend Micro.

i remember see you using it since so long time that it is seems built-in your system to me :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
i remember see you using it since so long time that it is seems built-in your system to me :D

Yeah I guess that :p I've been using it for a while. I'm think about Kaspersky, give that ago.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Webroot Antivirus SecureAnywhere seems to me the lightest, but there are also two Chinese light programs: Twister Antivirus and Kingsoft Antivirus

D

Deleted member 178

Yes Webroot SA is among the smallest one, around 3-10mb, unfortunately its prevention ability is behind others.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
Yes Webroot SA is among the smallest one, around 3-10mb, unfortunately its prevention ability is behind others.

its slow down download speed to1/2 or even less, remember i am saying download speed not browsing.
tested it on two machine and idm speed becomes half when wsc installed

Edit:Eset only 1 vote
norton+?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Comodo IS (1 local AV, 1 Cloud AV, 1 Firewall, 1 HIPS, 1 Sandbox), all those for 20mb only (working set), hard to find better; maybe Panda Global.

Unfortunately RAM has very little to do with a program to be considered light. Especially on newer systems that have at least 2GB of RAM or more.
A light program doesn't slow down system response time, it doesn't make a difference how much RAM or CPU cycles it uses.

In Comodo IS case, it may only use a little RAM and CPU cycles, but it still puts a drag on system response time. Why? it is how the HIPS components work. Every process, handles, loaded memory modules, etc. has to get checked each time they are launched. This is what puts the drag on system response time because it pauses everything while checking.

Comodo IS is far from being light, sorry Comodo fanboys but it is the truth. This also applies to almost all full HIPS applications; Online Armor, Privatefirewall, Malware Defender, etc. (They are NOT light). If you don't believe try completely uninstalling them and use your computer with only basic AV and Windows firewall and feel the power of your system at work, disabling them is not as effective as completely uninstalling making sure to cleanup the boot drivers. Comodo is notorious for leaving behind boot drivers which still slow down system response time even after uninstalling. Some other security programs do the same.

I have tried just about every security setup and here is my findings according to system response time not counting RAM or CPU cycles:

1. Avira
2. Eset
3. Avast
4. Norton
5. AVG

This is an honest observation as most of you know I'm a Avast user but not a fanboy. I would like to see Avast run the lightest, maybe in the future. Of coarse I don't like Norton but it can run very light on some systems they have really made improvements in the last 3 years. Not the old bloatware Norton many older users were used to. It really is amazing how light Avira is even on old systems with slow processors and 512MB of RAM. Of coarse that is about all I like about Avira.

Thanks.:D

Reactions: ifacedown
D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
In Comodo IS case, it may only use a little RAM and CPU cycles, but it still puts a drag on system response time. Why? it is how the HIPS components work. Every process, handles, loaded memory modules, etc. has to get checked each time they are launched. This is what puts the drag on system response time because it pauses everything while checking.

Comodo IS is far from being light, sorry Comodo fanboys but it is the truth. This also applies to almost all full HIPS applications; Online Armor, Privatefirewall, Malware Defender, etc. (They are NOT light). If you don't believe try completely uninstalling them and use your computer with only basic AV and Windows firewall and feel the power of your system at work, disabling them is not as effective as completely uninstalling making sure to cleanup the boot drivers.

i don't know for your system, but on mine with both EAM and CIS, it is very responsive, and surely EAM is the one that slow it the most.
I did a clean install of Win7, disabled many useless services as usual, i felt almost no differences after installing CIS.

Comodo is notorious for leaving behind boot drivers which still slow down system response time even after uninstalling. Some other security programs do the same.

when uninstalling it, i use some unofficial comodo uninstaller and remove manually all traces i can find from comodo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.