Battle Which is the most detrimental to your privacy: Facebook or Google?

Compare list
Facebook.com and it's subsidiaries
Google.com and it's subsidiaries

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Google's primary business is your data, the hoarding, indexing and collecting of it. Yes they carry the most data about you, but being it their primary business it also means they want to have it secure. Which they have proven it to be the way they want to go, of course there are cracks and annoyances (we all know them) or even simply lawbreaking collections of it. But when push comes to shove they want it secure, so they can make use of it for as long as possible.

Whereas Facebook has proven itself to disregard any such measures and just blatantly collects everything they can and even decides how your data is "perceived" regardless of intentions or need of it. Especially personal information such as contacts, phone numbers, geo-location coordinates etc... Therefore, I personally find Facebook to be the more detrimental party to your data and privacy than Google is.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I really easy to avoid FB and its really difficult to avoid Google.

Google's primary business is your data, the hoarding, indexing and collecting of it. Yes they carry the most data about you, but being it their primary business it also means they want to have it secure. Which they have proven it to be the way they want to go, of course there are cracks and annoyances (we all know them) or even simply lawbreaking collections of it. But when push comes to shove they want it secure, so they can make use of it for as long as possible.

Whereas Facebook has proven itself to disregard any such measures and just blatantly collects everything they can and even decides how your data is "perceived" regardless of intentions or need of it. Especially personal information such as contacts, phone numbers, geo-location coordinates etc... Therefore, I personally find Facebook to be the more detrimental party to your data and privacy than Google is.
Agree and agree. Personally its easy to avoid one of them, I don't use Facebook or any form of social media.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Google. It's got its hooks into almost every facet of the web, and there's no way to avoid it without turning the web into a nonfunctional mess.

Facebook's presence is sparse in comparison, and easy to avoid. From my experience, it's third-party integrations are never used for genuine functionality, and its own services can be easily replaced with alternatives if need-be.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
If you want to see who has been tracking you the most online
you can do this with DuckDuckGo's Privacy Essentials extension.
ddgo.jpg

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
If you want to see who has been tracking you the most online
you can do this with DuckDuckGo's Privacy Essentials extension.
The results are as expected, regardless of personal opinion. Google analytics, ads platform, gmail intergration etc... Is just too easy to incorporate and makes most sense for the average website/personal-blog user. Though depending on where you live and habits, Amazon and Facebook might swap places for some. :)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Facebook isnt that easy to avoid like it was mentioned here, it has hooks everywhere too and it is profiling users that arent using its services via their colleagues, friends and whatsoever.

Facebook machine learning is always stalking you, even if you never ever have used the internet, thats how nasty it is, blame your less concerned privacy oriented peers.

Google is pretty nasty too, but at least for now it has a solid reputation for dealing with your sensitive data and its privacy policy seems pretty transparent and legit to me, you cant say the same for Facebook.

So all for all I would always choose Google to deal with my data, Facebook is pure cancer.

Relevant info:
https://research.fb.com/wp-content/...budget-optimization-in-online-advertising.pdf (look at the expertise level of those guys)

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Easy—Facebook.

As much as I hate data collection, I have to say, I trust Google more than Facebook. Google lets me choose what I want saved and deletes data automatically after certain period of time. There aren't such settings on Facebook; it keeps collecting your "interests" and only lets you delete them manually. Security also has important place here; I don't remember last time Google had issues regarding privacy as Facebook. Facebook privacy scandals are becoming yearly thing.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.