Battle Which is your most trusted/favorite FREE Antivirus software ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapoo

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
which is your most trusted/favorite FREE Antivirus software [ NOT Internet Security] ?? Vote ......

NOTES
1. Four products Comodo, Roboscan, Outpost, Zonealarm are excluded from this list, as they are mainly Internet Security Suite, vote Others options
2. Immunet free excluded because only 10 options available, vote for OTHERS option
3. Paid products users vote for OTHERS option.
4. any others products users also vote for OTHERS option.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Which is which is your most trusted/favorite FREE Antivirus software ??

My 2 favourite Free antivirus software would have to be Avast and MSE. Everything else I would never use.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It would have to be Avast because it offers more for free, is user-friendly, runs very light and limited false positives, it doesn't include adware or toolbars in their installer and Avast doesn't allow it to be repackaged by third-party adware installers from download sites like Cnet Download.com and others. Avast is a trusted company without any kind of dirt which I couldn't say for most of the others. Of coarse MSE will be my second option because it is very user-friendly, runs light, no false positives or compatibility problems.

Thanks.:D

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi!

MSE because has no toolbars. Good interface.Good detection. Good remove capacity. Bad 0 day protection.

Have a nice day!

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

I'm for Avast all the way!
You can also install Comodo Firewall as an alternative for the default windows firewall.
Avast + Comodo is a great combination.

NOTE: Comodo Internet Security can be installed without its antivirus feature, thus naming it Comodo Firewall.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I will go for Avast and MSE since their performances doesn't impact for the system and they are design for not so complicated preferences.

+ User choice by the two AV's mentioned.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most trusted is Microsoft Security Essentials with the least amounts of FPs and general trust using their software.

Generally, Cloud AV's are to be less trusted, without being country-specific.

And vice-versa Comodo Internet Security without it's Firewall becomes Comodo Antivirus, of which this threads about, not Firewall software. ;)

XVSkulblaka7 said:
NOTE: Comodo Internet Security can be installed without its antivirus feature, thus naming it Comodo Firewall.

Z

ZeroDay

Me and Avira go way back and even though they bundle the ask crap now I still think it's a solid product. My second choice would be Avast.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I would go with Avast and Comodo AV (remember they do offer a standalone AV).
MSE is good but I find its lack of Zero-Day protection and the time to update and remove very unappealing to me.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
I'm sure I'll be the only one using UnThreat. It's Viper re-branded. Lighter than Webroot on my machine. Using for a couple of months with zero issues so far. I used MSE for three years before with zero malware infections. Used Avast from 2004-2009 with several PUP/Adware issues even with PUP settings turned on. Used McAfee from 1997-2004 with no problems

Z

ZeroDay

DrBeenGolfing said:
I'm sure I'll be the only one using UnThreat. It's Viper re-branded. Lighter than Webroot on my machine. Using for a couple of months with zero issues so far. I used MSE for three years before with zero malware infections. Used Avast from 2004-2009 with several PUP/Adware issues even with PUP settings turned on. Used McAfee from 1997-2004 with no problems

Unthreat is run by some very dodgy characters, there was something over at wilders about them. I'm not sure but I think they've had something to do with spyware or adware distribution. If I've got time later I'll try and find the posts on wilders about it.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I have installed on many computers Avast Antivirus Free.
Apart from the fact that this is a free product, Avast offers multiple layer of protection (including Web Guard and Site Advisor), it's very user friendly, and will not slow down your computer.

Here are the 3 main features that would make me choose Avast over Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials:

1. The avast! Auto-Sandbox
The avast! Sandbox is a special security feature which allows potentially suspicious applications to be run automatically in a completely isolated environment with no risk to your computer or any of your other files.

By default, if an application is started and avast! detects anything suspicious, it will automatically run the application in the Sandbox.
The advantage of running an application in the Sandbox is that it allows you to check any suspicious applications while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that an infected application might try to perform.
The browser or other application will then open in a special window with a red border, indicating that it is being run inside the sandbox.In the “Browser Integration” tab, you can further specify that your browsers should always be run in the Sandbox to ensure you are always protected while surfing the web.
When the Sandbox is closed, it will be restored to its original state and any downloaded files or changed browser settings will be automatically deleted.
asnx.png

2.Avast Reputation Services
Avast File Reputation Services will check if a file is safe even before it is opened, by checking its database of known files. Whether the file is considered safe or not will be determined by how many other users have the file, and for how long it has existed.
kChRqkl.png

3. Avast Software Updater
Malware often spreads by exploiting known security issues in commonly used software.
This means if your software is kept up to date, most malware would be unable to spread!
Avast Software Updater shows you an overview of all your outdated software applications, so you can keep them up to date and eliminate any security vulnerabilities.

software-updater-3.jpg

tapoo

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
looks like Avast Free is getting top spot again and again 8)
BTW, i forgot to include Forticlient, this is also a very good standalone antivirus, with excellent web filter, but has unnecessary features for home users, and thus runs unnecessary processes, that's quite annoying :(

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
ZeroDay said:
DrBeenGolfing said:

Unthreat is run by some very dodgy characters, there was something over at wilders about them. I'm not sure but I think they've had something to do with spyware or adware distribution. If I've got time later I'll try and find the posts on wilders about it.

Yeah, I've read all that stuff - if they were pulling dodgy stuff, Viper would pull the plug on 'em. UnThreat doesn't have a toolbar nor adverts, and I've kept watch to see if it is phoning home with my info - nothing so far.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
tapoo said:
looks like Avast Free is getting top spot again and again 8)
BTW, i forgot to include Forticlient, this is also a very good standalone antivirus, with excellent web filter, but has unnecessary features for home users, and thus runs unnecessary processes, that's quite annoying :(
Forticlient also disables about half of the Sofpedia website, says it is blocking "free download" stuff. Strange, but it thinks CNET is OK, even though it has the same "free downloads" but adds installers full of rubbish.

Z

ZeroDay

DrBeenGolfing said:
ZeroDay said:
DrBeenGolfing said:

Yeah, I've read all that stuff - if they were pulling dodgy stuff, Viper would pull the plug on 'em. UnThreat doesn't have a toolbar nor adverts, and I've kept watch to see if it is phoning home with my info - nothing so far.

Ok Doc glad you're already aware :)

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Avast is my choice, why? Just read Littlebits and Jack's replies! I can't add anything else cause they beat me to it! Anytime I fix a pc I install Avast Free cause I trust it that much :)

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Also using CIS6 W defence+ @ Proactive. Works great sofar. Has the same config on my wm machine where i test the malwarepacks from here. So far no infections not handled by av or Hips. Used Avast before but became sick of all popups. I'm a happier guy now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.