Advice Request Which Kaspersky solution for a small business?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Alright, here goes. :) Some of you may know that I currently use Emsisoft Anti-Malware to secure 7-8 PCs/Notebooks and 1 server. I like the behavior blocker and the fact, that there's not much fuzz being made about milking businesses. Even the regular version will run just fine on servers technically, it is basically only a license issue.

That said, sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side. :D So I've been browsing Kaspersky's offerings for a bit and a few points leave me puzzled.
  • There seem to be several tiers for businesses and Kaspersky Small Office Security appears to basically be the consumer product with a different skin. Yes, the Scurity for Kids is called Web Controls instead, but that's about it. There is some management tacked on, but it is very rudimentary and only covers the most basic settings. On the other hand, it is way more expensive than the consumer products.
    Am I right assuming that it's really the same product as far as the functionality is concerned?
  • KIS/KTS don't have a server software listed in the compatibility section. This could mean it's not wanted and hence not supported. Or is it hardcoded, so it won't even install no matter what?
  • What's the major difference between the regular and the cloud products? They list some modules like Anti-Spam / Password Manager / etc. that are either there or not, which isn't what concerns me. I'd love to know if the security functionality/quality differs from one to the other.
Feel free to enlighten me, I'm grateful for any answers you can possibly provide. :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Before you start debating what to use assuming all your pc are the same specs, if not use the worse spec pc, try installing KAV/KIS and see how it runs. No point in debating stuff when you don't even know if it will perform well on the systems you have.
If it runs well then buy the KIS because the company sounds too small to cover the burden of enterprise products. Now if you have money to spare for sure go for it but if not you will survive with KIS/EAM/etc.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Most business products have the huge benefit of remote setting up and monitoring so it's worth it for big companies because you can't visit hundreds of pcs. Now with 7 you can survive without it i guess.

Fritz

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Most business products have the huge benefit of remote setting up and monitoring so it's worth it for big companies because you can't visit hundreds of pcs. Now with 7 you can survive without it i guess.
Exactly; if the rest of the functionality is the same, that remote stuff doesn't justify the higher price in my case. On top of that, this "business function" is on such a rudimentary level; many consumer products from other companies offer that functionality already. :rolleyes:

KIS/KTS won't install in a Server OS... so You should install KSOS...
System requirements for Kaspersky Internet Security 2018
Thanks for the clarification @harlan4096, that one takes KIS/KTS out of the loop then. I was hoping it might run without being officially supported. ;)

You will find through hard-won experience that this adage is very, very rarely true.
More often than not, the other side is just "a different kind of grass."
Yes @Lockdown, hence the smiley. I was referring to the green logo rather. ;)
I haven't forgotten how long it took them to get their stuff working halfway in Windows 10, but my recent findings show a high level of efficiency. I guess I'll monitor the different solutions a little longer for the time being.

Thanks everybody! :)

Fritz

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
A little follow-up:

For some reason, detection is not comparable between KIS and KSOS. I don't know if it's that KIS is Version 18 and KSOS only at 17, but KIS detected samples during a scan about 6-7 hrs ago that KSOS still isn't able to identify now after a database update. I was hoping the difference was basically the GUI, but they don't seem to be the same functionally. :(

Reactions: mlnevese

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
So strange, I think KSOS5 is based on KIS2017... but internal protection "updatable modules" should perfom the same because should be the same...

Reactions: frogboy and Fritz

Fritz

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
So strange, I think KSOS5 is based on KIS2017... but internal protection "updatable modules" should perfom the same because should be the same...
Exactly, I don't know why they run two different numbering schemes but my KSOS5 says it's 17.0.0.611 (e). No clue why it isn't at 18.x like the other products, maybe they just don't put as much effort into the SMB line.

Now app. 12 hrs after KIS found all samples KSOS found 2 of the remaining 4. :confused:

It looks just like I can either have the best protection with KIS, but not on the server or get KSOS which covers the server but lags behind in protection. :(

I'll keep an eye on the situation for the time being and will let you know how things go from here. As always, feel free to chime in if you have anything to add. :)

Reactions: hamo and harlan4096

Fritz

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Funny, looks like even G should be available via database update according to the forums.

I got the trial from the official main website and already did 15-20 database updates. :unsure:

Do you have any idea why the recent version isn't based on 18.x like the other products?

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
Funny, looks like even G should be available via database update according to the forums.

I got the trial from the official main website and already did 15-20 database updates. :unsure:

Do you have any idea why the recent version isn't based on 18.x like the other products?

Kaspersky do that allows, (+,-)6 months duration between updating server version and home version, it is normal.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Probably the next KSOS will be based in the upcoming K2019, which is already in beta testing stage...

Reactions: mlnevese and Fritz

Fritz

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Why only Kasper sky?
I would take a look at F-Secure website because they have some fancy products for business:p
Policy Manager | Onsite security management to meet the highest demands | F-Secure
Business Cyber Security Beyond Malware Protection | F-Secure
You'd be surprised, I'm actually a great fan of F-Secure. Very clear interface, no annoyances and a great company stance towards privacy.

Unfortunately, in addition to the official reviews our own tests in the hub show that it's clearly behind Kaspersky at the moment. :(

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Dude these tests are only for home users you don't know how their business products work also I don't know that too but you can give it a try.
Their business products are more than a simple av.
I Guess they have trial versions.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
The business versions contain usually more blah blah to make the higher price more palatable. :) They also come with a central console for deployment and administration. The core functionality is the same though for all intents and purposes. As seen with KSOS, they can even lag behind the consumer versions. :(

At any rate, I just set up 2 more VMs aside for their business products and will check it out myself. ;)

Reactions: mlnevese
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.