Q&A Which kind of firewall do you (prefer to) use in general?

Which kind of firewall do you (prefer to) use in general?

• Windows Firewall only (Default or Tweaked)

Votes: 51 41.8%
  • Internet Security bundled with Firewall (E.g. Avast, Bitdefender, etc)

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • 3rd party Firewall (Comodo, Lavasoft, etc)

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • No I don't use firewall.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
Now 2017 going 2018 soon, the security softwares is getting more and more sophisticated and improved. And so go other softwares as well.

Which comes to my main point here: is Windows Firewall (WF) today performed on par with the rest of the firewalls offered from security vendors? I understand WF older time was pretty notorious, but coming 2017. Do you still put faith on WF or rather spend dime and get security overload with their FW from the Vendors side.

OS
Linux
I personally use UFW which is a simple command line firewall.
From the Ubuntu Help Wiki page:
The default firewall configuration tool for Ubuntu is ufw. Developed to ease iptables firewall configuration, ufw provides a user friendly way to create an IPv4 or IPv6 host-based firewall.
For Windows, if you're looking for a simple, easy-to-use firewall I would go with Windows Firewall as it's baked into the system so it will probably have the least amount of problems.

cruelsister

Level 36
Content Creator
Verified
Roger- Comodo Firewall is not made to be used as only a Firewall. The assumption is that one would also use either the HIPS and/or the sandbox. which will give protection that is not afforded by the Firewall. Note that the Comodo Firewall BY ITSELF will NOT protect you from forked processes connecting out, whereas either of the two other components this would not be an issue.

Please forgive the Caps, and note that I would never ever suggest that anyone use the Firewall alone (never ever).

Umbra

Level 85
Content Creator
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
Windows Firewall with or without Binisoft WFC (depends how it performs).

Home Users don't need complex Firewalls those days, your NAT router replace it it for you.

What Home Users may need is an outbound connections notifier, nothing more.

TairikuOkami

Level 18
Content Creator
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny