Advice Request Which kind of firewall do you (prefer to) use in general?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which kind of firewall do you (prefer to) use in general?

• Windows Firewall only (Default or Tweaked)

Votes: 51 41.8%
  • Internet Security bundled with Firewall (E.g. Avast, Bitdefender, etc)

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • 3rd party Firewall (Comodo, Lavasoft, etc)

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • No I don't use firewall.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Now 2017 going 2018 soon, the security softwares is getting more and more sophisticated and improved. And so go other softwares as well.

Which comes to my main point here: is Windows Firewall (WF) today performed on par with the rest of the firewalls offered from security vendors? I understand WF older time was pretty notorious, but coming 2017. Do you still put faith on WF or rather spend dime and get security overload with their FW from the Vendors side.

Flengo

Level 2
Verified
Oct 19, 2017
I personally use UFW which is a simple command line firewall.
From the Ubuntu Help Wiki page:
The default firewall configuration tool for Ubuntu is ufw. Developed to ease iptables firewall configuration, ufw provides a user friendly way to create an IPv4 or IPv6 host-based firewall.

For Windows, if you're looking for a simple, easy-to-use firewall I would go with Windows Firewall as it's baked into the system so it will probably have the least amount of problems.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Roger- Comodo Firewall is not made to be used as only a Firewall. The assumption is that one would also use either the HIPS and/or the sandbox. which will give protection that is not afforded by the Firewall. Note that the Comodo Firewall BY ITSELF will NOT protect you from forked processes connecting out, whereas either of the two other components this would not be an issue.

Please forgive the Caps, and note that I would never ever suggest that anyone use the Firewall alone (never ever).

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I prefer to use windows firewall with wfc but because i have cpu issues with it i switched to comodo firewall. Does the job well and light on the cpu usage.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Windows Firewall at the moment.

That is just great, a free firewall made in my country with features I have been always looking for and I did not even know about it. :notworthy:

P.S.: I had actually stumbled upon it once or twice, but I had pretty much ignored it, that is even worse.

EDIT: Pity, it does not allow to enter IP range, just IP. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.