Advice Request Which kind of firewall do you (prefer to) use in general?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which kind of firewall do you (prefer to) use in general?

• Windows Firewall only (Default or Tweaked)

Votes: 51 41.8%
  • Internet Security bundled with Firewall (E.g. Avast, Bitdefender, etc)

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • 3rd party Firewall (Comodo, Lavasoft, etc)

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • No I don't use firewall.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TrinitronMSDOS

Currently using GlassWire Elite, so voted 3rd party. I love that software, but in all honesty it's more of a network monitor with advanced features than a firewall per se, as it doesn't even reinforced the Windows Firewall such as Emsisoft or Trend Micro does. Still, if you are satisfied with the level of security the default Windows Firewall provides, this soft is worth a look. The latest 2.0 update even includes the ability to check any process with VirusTotal. The free version is enough and there are sales regularly on StackSocial.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Umbra you are right but why are you using Appguard+Rehips+ Emsofit?:D win firewall, is good if I'm not a happy clicker?
You are not a happy clicker, right? so remove all you have and use WD.if win firewall is more than enough why don't you use wd which provided by the same company (Microsoft)
Btw I'm a happy clicker and I like to be a happy clicker.

Last edited:

Trender

Level 1
Verified
Feb 5, 2016
I used comodo with cruelsisters config(proactive setup) but somehow it slowed my network startup idk, in like Chrome would take some minutes after loggin in Windows to get connection

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I'm using Windows Firewall Control. Pain in the ass at first, you get a lot of notifications, but after it processes all your choices it's pretty well set and forget. It's also pretty light on resources.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I myself using Window Firewall with Binisoft's WFC.
Usually paired with Emsisoft / Appguard or NVT ERP.

Side Note: Seems we have quite a fair bit of 3rd party firewall user. Hmmm.. Guess Microsoft need to work hard more to convince those. :p
Keep voting guys!. Interesting to see how much faith MalwareTips members have on Firewalls.

D

Deleted member 178

Umbra you are right but why are you using Appguard+Rehips+ Emsofit?:D win firewall, is good if I'm not a happy clicker?
You are not a happy clicker, right? so remove all you have and use WD.if win firewall is more than enough why don't you use wd which provided by the same company (Microsoft)
Btw I'm a happy clicker and I like to be a happy clicker.
Because i like them and i beta test them ;)
Indeed, i can just use WD + WF on all machines as i do on one of them, i know i won't be infected anyway, but....where is the fun !!! :p

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have not used it, but it seems to be software that existed for several years.
Wokhan Solutions

I could find very little users' experience with WFN on the forums so I decided to try 2.0beta3 myself. My machine went nuts, CPU through the roof! I had no idea what was going on:confused:, so I disabled it. Now we know.... BTW - machine back to normal.:)(y)

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I could find very little users' experience with WFN on the forums so I decided to try 2.0beta3 myself. My machine went nuts, CPU through the roof! I had no idea what was going on:confused:, so I disabled it. Now we know.... BTW - machine back to normal.:)(y)
I had similar issue when I tried it about a year ago. It would be a good product if it was stable.

Right now I use simplewall. I also like WFC but simplewall is lighter and easier(not that WFC is difficult) I wish there was a standalone firewall thats as good as Eset's firewall.
I previously thought of using Comodo firewall module only but then CS said not to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.