Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Three years back I had created a similar thread where

1. HP,
2. ASUS &
3. Acer

were the top 3 brands used by MalwareTips members.

Let's see how it differs in 2018 :D

a. What laptop brand do you currently use?
b. How long have you been using the brand?
c. What do you think is good about your brand?
d. What do you think is bad about your brand?

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
a.)
i'm currently running (total) 3 laptops: two MSI gaming laptops and an Packard Bell (older average model with i5 and GT540M, discontinued by manufacturer).

b.)
bought my MSI laptops about 3-4 years ago. I bought my Packard Bell in the year 2009.

c.)
MSI seems to have a quite good reputation here on popular german gamer/computer boards: their gaming laptops
are offering a very good gaming performane. On the other side the price for this performance sems to be quite fair/very good.
I had no problems at all (so far) with my msi machines: running one of them as desktop replacement (MSI GE60, i7,
GTX 860M, SSD, 15 inch). Also my Packard Bell is still running fine: no problems at all.

d.)
i'm very satisfied with my two MSI gaming laptops (no problems at all) and also my Packard Bell was running fine all
the time... ...so based on my personal experience i would recommend MSI and Packard Bell: nothing bad about my brands.

BTW:
here is my second gaming laptop (MSI GT72, i7, GTX 970M, SSD with 250GB, HDD with 1TB) on malwaretips.com:
System Specs - Gaming-Laptop: MSI-GT72-2QD (GTX970M, i7)

Last edited:

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
a. What laptop brand do you currently use? Asus. Do not know the model number off the top of my head.

b. How long have you been using the brand? I think since 2012. So about 6 years. Bought it brand new about a year before Diablo 3.

c. What do you think is good about your brand? IMO the company makes good decisions of what hardware to put inside. The looks as well. For 2012, my laptop was pretty sharp looking at Best Buy. :)

d. What do you think is bad about your brand? Nothing honestly. Still working great today. Never changed any of the hardware. Other than that would be just the typical bloatware in the OS. But what brand does not have some bloatware. Easy to cleanup anyway regardless.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
HP (5 years)
Pros:
- good price-over-quality
- everything is good overall
Cons:
- Driver support dropped
- lack of support for 1 more HDD/SSD slot
- Quite hot while playing games (since the beginning), cooling system is not the best

Acer (7-8 years)
Pros:
- super cheap for its quality
- i5 with iGPU, it never gets hot and never needs a cleanup but still quite and cool
- everything is okay, satisfactory

Cons:
- driver support?
- speaker
- screen

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Dell.
The one I have is a Latitude, it is in the business line, so it had a long warranty with at-site service. And believe me, I used it.
As far as I can tell, all laptops break (except for the ancient IBM with 250 MB RAM that is still kicking), so the most important thing is good service.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Anything but Lenovo.

Lenovo makes good products, but the company just has a very long and most importantly, recurring pattern of embedding spyware and even malware in their products. Google Lenovo malware to see for yourself. With such a history of repeating offenses even after execs promise to stop, I can only guess there is some Chinese government influences going on that maybe even Lenovo cannot control. But as the #1 or #2 (depending on source) market share holder in the world, it is a big deal.

I personally have never liked notebooks and only used them out of necessity when mobility was required. I much prefer the full size keyboard and mouse, two 24" widescreen monitors, and full surround sound speakers provided by my PC.

My current notebook is a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6009 I purchased way back in February 2010. It came with 64-bit W7 Pro and now has 64-bit W10 Pro. It has been problem free since day one.

My only complaint is I barely get 2 hours of battery run time. HOWEVER, when brand new, and as noted in the specs, it only got 2 hours, 35 minutes. So to only lose 35-40 minutes from an 8 year old battery, I really don't have anything to complain about. I would recommend and buy Toshiba again but they announced in 2016 they would stop making consumer laptops.:(

If I had to buy a new notebook today, I would look at Dell first. But I would stay away from their entry level model. Actually, regardless the brand, I recommend staying away from the entry level models. Invest (read: spend more money) on higher end models if you expect the notebook to last beyond the warranty period. Of course, buying higher end does not guarantee longer service, but it improves your chances.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
a. What laptop brand do you currently use? (ASUS)
b. How long have you been using the brand? (5 years)
c. What do you think is good about your brand? (Quality and Performance)
d. What do you think is bad about your brand? (Price point)

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
a. What laptop brand do you currently use?
Actually using an Acer Predator Helios 300

b. How long have you been using the brand?
Half an year aprox, with intense use for gaming and editing

c. What do you think is good about your brand?
Great, quick, fast support (even via chat)
Well known and recognized, good reputation
Great quality and materials
Affordable
Usual driver releases

d. What do you think is bad about your brand?
Gaming devices are built on aluminium which means a fingerprint magnet
Scratches are really easy to make
No warranty if you bought at US and you leave

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
a. What laptop brand do you currently use? (Acer ES-11)
b. How long have you been using the brand? (1+ years)
c. What do you think is good about your brand? (Shrug)
d. What do you think is bad about your brand? (Need more computing power)

D

Deleted member 178

i have 3 laptops: ACER, ASUS, Lenovo.

Lenovo one is my favorite one, followed by the ACER; the ASUS is the oldest one (4+ years).

Problem with ASUS is that if you update the BIOS with a non-shipped HDD (aka an HDD without the original UEFI) , the bios will hide secureboot options so you won't benefit from it anymore.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Problem with ASUS is that if you update the BIOS with a non-shipped HDD (aka an HDD without the original UEFI) , the bios will hide secureboot options so you won't benefit from it anymore.
That's stupid feature built by Asus. If their HDD fails then secure boot is good as dead.
Any other options that piqued your interest?
I never heard that kind of BIOS lock when someone changes their hardware. You want wanna check MDL forums for any available MODs for your laptop that gets rid of it.

Reactions: Nevi and Weebarra
D

Deleted member 178

That's stupid feature built by Asus. If their HDD fails then secure boot is good as dead.
Any other options that piqued your interest?
I never heard that kind of BIOS lock when someone changes their hardware. You want wanna check MDL forums for any available MODs for your laptop that gets rid of it.
i need a small program (BT.exe compatible with Win10) to get secureboot back, but i can't find it anywhere.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.