Battle Which laptop is better? Acer vs Dell vs HP vs Lenovo (on budget)

Atatrah

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2014
Hey All
I want to buy New Laptop
Which one is better among these ?
FB_IMG_1507898368776.jpg
FB_IMG_1507898374677.jpg
FB_IMG_1507898380612.jpg
FB_IMG_1507898392930.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It depends on the workload. If casual gaming is the only factor then I would have gone for Acer, simply because of it's much better GPU (940mx). Although I would upgrade that ram from 4GB to 8GB. And if you just want a multimedia device for watching videos then I would go for Dell, cause of the Full HD screen in it. Add a SSD for a much much better daily performance. Hope it helps.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
IMO you should buy DELL or HP. Both manufacturers have very good reputation: their machines have a good quality and also their support (in europe/germany) is OK too. A lot of users on popular computer/IT-boards in germany are frequently recommending HP or Dell: at this time they have best products and best support on the market.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
I would buy a dell laptop. Unfortunately I have never had a dell laptop like Hp (I had IBM, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Packardbell and Asus). I don't like Lenovo as I've heard many complains about this brand. Dell has 4 RAM but you can expand it.
By what about warranty for all products you listed? For me warranty period is also important.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I bought a comparable Acer a couple years ago, and my biggest regret since upgrading to Windows 10, is the 4GB memory. It really could use 8GB, which I think is optimal for Windows 10 for most uses. I have a desktop with 8GB and it never maxes out, but I can't say the same for the laptop with only 4GB.

I also wish it had a SSD, but that is usually not an issue once the computer has booted up and settled down after a few minutes while all the scheduled housekeeping tasks run. My desktop on the other hand, with SSD, starts up and runs through all that in seconds.

Other than that my Acer Aspire has been a dependable machine, inexpensive, and good for what I bought it for. A decent mobile office for travel.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
^^ yes i also think that (total) 8 GB RAM and a SSD is absolutely necessary and recommended for every average user.
The average memory usage on my gaming laptop (win 8.1) is 3-4 GB... ...therefore i would say upgrading RAM to
(total) 8GB RAM is a must. An SSD is also a very "nice" feature and means a lot of performane for your machine.
Already About 4-5 years ago i upgraded all my machines with (min.) 8 GB RAM and an SSD.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Let me give you a best tip in choosing a laptop.
  1. I suggest you to choose a non GPU laptop which would give you more life of your laptop MB. My suggestion is for the Acer in the list. But if u ask my personal opinion I would ask you to search for Asus laptops.
  2. An SSD is a wise choice, but why pay extra for the inbuilt variant? Buy a laptop with HDD for a much lower price and later Upgrade it with a SSD which will be equal to the same price and hence you gain more profit. Do the same with the RAM
  3. My choice of brands would be in the order, Asus >> Acer >> Dell >> Lenovo >> HP

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
^^ yes i also think that (total) 8 GB RAM and a SSD is absolutely necessary and recommended for every average user.
The average memory usage on my gaming laptop (win 8.1) is 3-4 GB... ...therefore i would say upgrading RAM to
(total) 8GB RAM is a must. An SSD is also a very "nice" feature and means a lot of performane for your machine.
Already About 4-5 years ago i upgraded all my machines with (min.) 8 GB RAM and an SSD.

Another thing to consider is how easy is the laptop to access the RAM and hard drive. With my Acer I should have ordered one with 8GB from the factory, as the memory is only accessible with a complete teardown. It is located UNDER the mainboard. At least it has another socket, and the one existing module is not soldered in place. I build my own desktops, but a laptop teardown is a project I will wait for, because I fear damaging the unit.

The HDD is located under the keyboard, so that part would be relatively easy. But if I go that route, I will probably do it all at once and add the RAM too!

Bottom line is that my Acer unit has no internal access from the bottom of the case. I would recommend checking any models you plan to buy if you plan to upgrade parts yourself.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Dell for easy servicing w/o warranty void and upgrades.
Let me give you a best tip in choosing a laptop.
  1. I suggest you to choose a non GPU laptop which would give you more life of your laptop MB. My suggestion is for the Acer in the list. But if u ask my personal opinion I would ask you to search for Asus laptops.
How iGPU increases longevity of a laptop?

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Dell for easy servicing w/o warranty void and upgrades.

How iGPU increases longevity of a laptop?
Heat amongst other things especially if you will by using GPU intensive apps like games/3DS MAx Maya etc..;)
Laptops can't handle heat very well unless you spend the money on an Asus ROG or Alienware or other high performance laptops but they cost a fortune!!!

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Heat amongst other things especially if you will by using GPU intensive apps like games/3DS MAx Maya etc..;)
Laptops can't handle heat very well unless you spend the money on an Asus ROG or Alienware or other high performance laptops but they cost a fortune!!!
Nah I don't believe it. A repaste will solve thermal related issues. If you want to run Workstation based apps then both desktop and laptops(with 7700k or 8700k) are expensive with Top end GPUs from AMD or Nvidia.
Even Alienware, ASUS Rog, Razer( Worst crap PC ever produced) are riddled with heat issues.
It took me nearly a year to fix my Alienware thermal issues. Repaste and optimal repadding did the trick. GTA V on ultra never crosses above 65C on both CPU and GPU(near passive fans). As for witcher 3 on high settings tops out CPU 65C and GPU at 75C with active fans running at 2500-4000rpms.
On max fans it will be 10C cooler.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.