Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Total voters

Raiden

Level 17
Verified
Content Creator
As you know I have been dabbling around with Linux, in hopes of finding a distro to be my main OS along side Windows. So far I have narrowed it down to either PopOS, or Manjaro. As with many things in Linux there are tons of desktop environments to choose from. My top two for me personally are Gnome and KDE Plasma. Each have their pros and cons, which has me gong back and forth on which one to stick with. For me personally out of these two there is no clear winner...yet. I like the simplicity of Gnome, much cleaner and easier to manage IMO. I like KDE, very polished, modern, tweak-able and very similar to Windows which makes it easier to use by comparison.

I am curious as to which DE you use/like most and why?

Like with many things Linux/Opensource related, there are many choices to choose, all catering to different crowds. At the end of it all, there's a DE out there for everyone depending on your needs and wants, which one is your?

bribon77

Level 33
Verified
Linux desktops. According to the PC you have to choose, if you have a powerful PC there is no problem with any of them.
If, on the contrary, you have a low resource PC, you will have to choose another one. The Kernel may be the same, but the desktop is what makes the difference.
I voted for the XFCE, for two reasons, I don't have a powerful PC and I've been using it for years.

Raiden

Level 17
Verified
Content Creator
I know KDE was so, so before plasma came out, used more resources and such. What I find most interesting is that despite KDE being very popular right now (as it should be, its really good), many distros still come with Gnome by default. Sure some have different builds, or you can install KDE yourself, but Gnome still seems to be the default for so many. There's even talk of distros like Fedora and others dropping support for KDE entirely at some point in the future, which seems interesting given the fact the KDE plasma is so popular.

Hopefully KDE won't go away completely, it's a really nice DE, it would be a shame to see it die off.

1.As you said KDE had reputation for being heavyweight and it really was. People still believe this is the case and won't try KDE.
2. Ubuntu is another reason. When Ubuntu came out with gnome as default DE, it became so popular that other distros started with same tactic.
3 .KDE could be too complicated for beginners. Similar to Windows 10 with "windows settings" and "control panel". Too much stuff to set/edit.
4. Distro project need developers to implement DE into system. KDE is pretty big cow to do that.
5. Once they switched to plasma, lots features was missing and they needed about a year or even more to make it useful again. In the meantime they lost lots of users.
6. KDE won't die. Maybe some distros won't make ISOs (point 4) but will be in repositories.

Raiden

Level 17
Verified
Content Creator
1.As you said KDE had reputation for being heavyweight and it really was. People still believe this is the case and won't try KDE.
2. Ubuntu is another reason. When Ubuntu came out with gnome as default DE, it became so popular that other distros started with same tactic.
3 .KDE could be too complicated for beginners. Similar to Windows 10 with "windows settings" and "control panel". Too much stuff to set/edit.
4. Distro project need developers to implement DE into system. KDE is pretty big cow to do that.
5. Once they switched to plasma, lots features was missing and they needed about a year or even more to make it useful again. In the meantime they lost lots of users.
6. KDE won't die. Maybe some distros won't make ISOs (point 4) but will be in repositories.
Good points and I agree.

The only bad thing that could potentially happen with KDE if, and when some of these distros stop supporting it, is that KDE may get the blame when things don't work as well. Like we both said, even though it won't be officially supported in some cases, you can still install it. Problem is, those maintaining the distro will wash their hands of any potential issues that arise and as a result people will either get frustrated with the distro, or people will just stop using KDE in some instances. At least that's how I see it playing out to some degree. Unless Gnome makes a big come back, we will have to wait and see. Apparently Gnome 3.36 that was just released seems to have address many issues and so far the response seems pretty positive, so we will have to wait and see.

SeriousHoax

Level 28
Verified
Malware Tester
KDE Plasma is my choice because of the beautiful modern look, stability and customizability. Deepin is gorgeous too but not very polish, resource hungry and Manjaro also dropped their community based Manjaro Deepin for now because of some issues.

Good points and I agree.

The only bad thing that could potentially happen with KDE if, and when some of these distros stop supporting it, is that KDE may get the blame when things don't work as well. Like we both said, even though it won't be officially supported in some cases, you can still install it. Problem is, those maintaining the distro will wash their hands of any potential issues that arise and as a result people will either get frustrated with the distro, or people will just stop using KDE in some instances. At least that's how I see it playing out to some degree. Unless Gnome makes a big come back, we will have to wait and see. Apparently Gnome 3.36 that was just released seems to have address many issues and so far the response seems pretty positive, so we will have to wait and see.
KDE is too big in linux world for any developer/distro to get away from it. But to be fair, how many distros are there that doesn't have KDE ISOs? MX and Mint come to my mind. Fact that lots of KDE apps run on Windows too tells you how big KDE is.

All new popular DE will disappear before KDE.

SeriousHoax

Level 28
Verified
Malware Tester
KDE is too big in linux world for any developer/distro to get away from it. But to be fair, how many distros are there that doesn't have KDE ISOs? MX and Mint come to my mind. Fact that lots of KDE apps run on Windows too tells you how big KDE is.

KDE also building Plasma Mobile: Plasma Mobile - Plasma in your pocket

Raiden

Level 17
Verified
Content Creator

That's good to hear!

I really haven't followed the development very closely, mostly just reading tidbits here and there on what others are saying. As the saying goes, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.;):p

HarborFront

Level 53
Verified
Content Creator
Running Linux Mint Mate 20x and Linux Manjaro Xfce 20x (below)

Screenshot_2020-07-09_19-45-53.png

So far I find Manjaro

1) Tedious to install
2) Text in FF address bar, Bookmarks Toolbar and drop down menu smaller than Linux Mint Mate even though both are set to 150% zoom and font size of 16
3) Difficult to install and update software especially those customized ones like Ungoogled Chromium, LibreWolf etc from AUR which needs hours of compilation
4) One nice thing I find is now I can drag-and-drop files from/to guest/host desktops in Manjaro something which can't be done in Linux Mint Mate (and Ubuntu 20x) yet. Not sure it's because of difference in kernel version - Manjaro is using the v5.7x and Linux Mint Mate v5.4x
5) BP Privacy Block All Font and Glyph Detection extension for FF not available in Manjaro

Note :- I followed the below video link to install Manjaro smoothly

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
how many distros are there that doesn't have KDE ISOs? MX and Mint come to my mind.
KDE is an official desktop of MX Linux. You can't download a ISO for it, but you can install KDE (and other desktops) from the MX Linux software center. You will not get the latest and greatest version of KDE, but that's by design -- Debian distros lean toward stability; they are slow to update.

HarborFront

Level 53
Verified
Content Creator
Had a first run with Ungoogled Chromium and LibreWolf from AUR with Manjaro using Yay AUR helper. Took a long time to run the compilation and Ungoogled Chromium threw up an error message and quit whilst LibreWolf just hangs there without error message after some time.

Very disappointed indeed for wasting time.