Updates Which Linux Desktop Environment (DE)?

Which is your favourite DE?

• Gnome

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • KDE Plasma

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Xfce

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Budgie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deepin

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • MATE

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Cinnamon

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • LXDE

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

HarborFront

Level 59
Verified
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For Linux Manjaro 20x anyone running chrome/chromium browser with uBO extension? I seems not to able to show the colored panel on the left side despite enabling 'I'm an advanced user'. No issue on my Linux Mint Mate 20x running Ungoogled Chromium browser.

This happens for the latest version of uBO and the last version as well. I'm using Ungoogled Chromium browser so not sure whether it only affects Ungoogled Chromium or is it a Linux Manjaro issue

Screenshot_2020-07-29_17-29-25.png

Last edited:

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Oct 27, 2019
I chose others because of my personal experience.
I was and still a macOS user. But for privacy, pricing and security I have always been looking for a replacement for macOS. I tested freeBSD and GNOME (which is my love for servers), SUSE and GNOME, Mint and KDE, Xfce and some more. But finally I ended up with Pantheon and Elementary OS. Although it does not have an active desktop but for these reasons I would really recommend elementary and pantheon:
1- It is really an stable OS. Unlike many distros it does not crash after some updates
2- Pantheon is clean, usable and user friendly. And of course I am used to macOS environment which is really similar to Pantheon.
3- It has an active and organized development and by the recent changes in it’s App Center, many developers have started to write apps for this distro.

Eggnog

Level 3
Mar 21, 2018
Linux desktops. According to the PC you have to choose, if you have a powerful PC there is no problem with any of them.
If, on the contrary, you have a low resource PC, you will have to choose another one. The Kernel may be the same, but the desktop is what makes the difference.
I voted for the XFCE, for two reasons, I don't have a powerful PC and I've been using it for years.
It's pretty hard to beat good old Xfce, that's for sure. It can run on a potato. I think it recently got updated to 4.16.

Raiden

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
May 7, 2018
Don't blame me, now I like using GNOME 🙃
Welcome to the darkside!:p

In all seriousness, I too really like Gnome. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I just like the simplicity. I like the keyboard driven aspect of it and it's what prompted me to use my keyboard more when using Windows, or even KDE plasma. I'm pretty excited for whats coming in Gnome 40! it definitely has a lot of people talking.

geminis3

Level 18
Verified
Sep 10, 2015
That's awesome.

May I ask where you got the gnome os beta. Is it on github?
I don't know if that specific build is available to the public but somebody share me this direct link to GNOME's Gitlab

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-build-meta/-/jobs/1069970/artifacts/raw/image/installer.iso

PD: GNOME OS is an ostree distro made from scratch and can't be installed on real hardware yet, anyways the software catalog is limited to Flatpak so it's just for testing purposes.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Trusted
Feb 15, 2012
KDE is a great DE I like it a lot!
I am probably in the minority here, but I actually like Gnome 3. Took a little getting use to, but once I learned how to navigate around and understand where the Gnome team is going, I actually really like the simplistic get out of your way approach. That being said, it's a little heavier than KDE and and XFCE, however, since Ubuntu has gone back to Gnome for their DE, they have actually helped out quite a bit on the performance front. While still using a little more ram, 3.36 is definitely a lot snappier, compared to 3.34 IMHO.

The only thing that drives me a little crazy about Gnome is fractional scaling. It's pretty poor atm. KDE for the most part is much better in this regard.

Here are some screenshots of different DE setups I am playing around with. Still undecided, but it's what I like about Linux, choice to set it up they way YOU want it to be set up.View attachment 244094

View attachment 244095View attachment 244096
Where can I find these wallpapers?

Reactions: Raiden and Nevi

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Trusted
Feb 15, 2012
I have tried almost all the DE's and MATE on Mint is my favorite. I love the look of Mint's Cinnamon, but MATE is more stable and I just have used it enough to where i'm comfy with it. I do like Pop OS also.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Antimalware18

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2014
When I was using linux as my only OS (for a period of about a year) I started out with linux mint and really enjoyed it but it felt a bit lacking to me so I switched over to Kubuntu with KDE Plasma and it fit all my needs and really loved it.

I tried Gnome a few times but it always felt pretty heavy no matter the laptop I put it on (if it had under 8gb of ram)

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Jul 3, 2015
When I was using linux as my only OS (for a period of about a year) I started out with linux mint and really enjoyed it but it felt a bit lacking to me so I switched over to Kubuntu with KDE Plasma and it fit all my needs and really loved it.

I tried Gnome a few times but it always felt pretty heavy no matter the laptop I put it on (if it had under 8gb of ram)
Yes, I think Gnome uses more RAM, but as long as your system is not RAM-starved, it can be an awesome desktop environment. I bounce around a lot between KDE, Xfce and Gnome. Right now, I am on Gnome and liking it. It takes some tweaking to get it right. For instance, I use dash-to-panel, to create a more traditional desktop experience. Kubuntu is great out-of-the-box, as far as I am concerned, but Gnome requires more tweaking to get it right.