Advice Request Which of my chosen extensions are needed or not?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
Hi all,

Sorry if the wrong thread, might be for the compare apps thread.

i am quite uneducated about chrome extensions and security and privacy as a whole, so i have ended up installing like 10 but i got a feeling some may conflict or be unnecessary, so can i have some advice please ? :)

I am using Version 69.0.3497.100 of Chrome, with Safe Browsing and the Do Not Track request option enabled, but no other changes in flags etc. as not sure which ones to change.

I run 10 extensions, and i wanted to hide my digital fingerprint but this is quite hard to do and i think the more extensions i have, the more unique i am, therefore i give up with hiding my digital print and i am focussing on privacy and security.

I use the following extensions:
HTTPS Everywhere (With rules changed as recommended by Decentralytes)
Bitdefender Trafficlight (I changed from Avast yesterday, but not sure which to go for between BD, Avast, Avira, or MBAM Extension?)
Enhancer for YouTube
Nano Defender & Adblocker (Default Settings)
Netcraft
Decentralytes
Privacy Possum
Random User-Agent
& Canvas Defender.

I feel some of them might be conflicting or unnecessary but not sure which.

Thankyou
:)

Reactions: oldschool

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
From my own experience I would state the following are not needed:
- HTTPS Everywhere - most websites now including the one we are on roll out HTTPS by default
- Nano Defender - Nano Adblocker can be implemented with this without the need for the extension, plus AAK is also available on FilterLists | Subscriptions for uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, AdGuard, ...
- Bitdefender Trafficlight - one the weakest out of the security extensions you could of chosen, the best extension for security after personal testing and test from @Evjl's Rain is MBAM, if you can handle the browser start up being slightly slow, it's hardly noticeable however

The rest are up to yourself, also if you feel the advice above helps you, you're more then welcome to follow it :p

~LDogg

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I use on mine PC umatrx, canvas defender, Self-Destructing cookies.
Apps on system instaled Adguard and K9 web protection for filters ads and some malware links

IF you need rly privacy. Use 2n web or even preffer work on 2nd system with VPN
and on your main for more secure you can run web browser in sandbox application like ReHIPS or Sandboxie

Reactions: oldschool and LDogg

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Bitdefender Trafficlight - one the weakest out of the security extensions you could of chosen, the best extension for security after personal testing and test from @Evjl's Rain is MBAM
I have to respectfully disagree...MBAM is good and even the new Comodo Online Security, but Avira Browser Safety is still the champ!... I have tested this countless times against malicious links against other extensions and it always blocks the most links.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
HTTPS Everywhere
Bitdefender Trafficlight
Enhancer for YouTube
Nano Defender & Adblocker
Netcraft
Decentralytes

Privacy Possum
Random User-Agent
& Canvas Defender.

I would leave what I have marked green.
I have marked red what you don't need, but you can still think about it.
The orange is good, but without VPN and with Google's browser it's unnecessary again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azure and oldschool

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I have to respectfully disagree...MBAM is good and even the new Comodo Online Security, but Avira Browser Safety is still the champ!... I have tested this countless times against malicious links against other extensions and it always blocks the most links.
I respect your opinion. I guess depending how oneself tests and looks at something, it can appear different to someone else. :)

~LDogg

D

Deleted member 178

I use the following extensions:

HTTPS Everywhere (With rules changed as recommended by Decentralytes)
Bitdefender Trafficlight (I changed from Avast yesterday, but not sure which to go for between BD, Avast, Avira, or MBAM Extension?)

Enhancer for YouTube
Nano Defender & Adblocker (Default Settings)
Netcraft
Decentralytes
Privacy Possum
Random User-Agent

& Canvas Defender.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Imo you only need 5 good extensions from Security to Privacy with reasons why too:
  • Netcraft - Superb phishing detection & blocking
  • ScriptSafe - Superb blocking of analytics, scripts, unwanted content with addition fingerprinting settings if needed
  • uBlock Origin w/ preferred lists - Self explanatory as everyone knows it
  • Canvas Defender (Chrome) or CanvasBlocker (Firefox) - Superb fingerprint protection that doesn't completlye block the Canvas API readout
  • Trace/Cookie Auto Delete or Behind the Overlay - Dependent on the type of your config, these can help massively on various things.
~LDogg

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
ScriptSafe - Superb blocking of analytics, scripts, unwanted content with addition fingerprinting settings if needed
- ScriptSafe totally breaks most of my websites, including YouTube and as a beginner, i was not sure how to overcome this so i deleted it.
- Netcraft already doing its job on my browser :p
- I use Nano Adblocker with "Fanboy+Easylist-Merged Ultimate List" as my one custom list, while i ticked the other included ones with Nano such as Spam404 and the other few that were unticked.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
the Do Not Track request option enabled, but no other changes in flags etc. as not sure which ones to change.

I run 10 extensions, and i wanted to hide my digital fingerprint but this is quite hard to do and i think the more extensions i have, the more unique i am, therefore i give up with hiding my digital print and i am focussing on privacy and security.

I don't think "Do Not Track" option does much in browsers, a trustworthy extension may offer more privacy / flexible options.

Alterative to Bitdefender, Avira and Avast browser extensions:
- Windows Defender Browser Protection [Link]
- Malwarebytes for Chrome (beta)

For Chrome experimental flags, here are a few to start with:
- Strict Site Isolation
- Enable AppContainer Lockdown
- Enable GPU AppContainer Lockdown
- Block unsafe downloads over insecure connections

Restart Chrome to make changes.

And more here (Scroll to any posts made in 2018 or later)
Q&A - List of interesting Experimental Flags for Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.