Advice Request Which of these Firewalls (/Control) have you used?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which of these Firewall/ Firewall Control Software have you used?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
TinyWall has been improved. Current version is 2.x.x. It is still default deny. I wouldn't say massive improvement over v. 1.x.x, because the GUI is still essentially the same. Bug fixes primarily.

I'd say you will still prefer free version of Sphinx over TinyWall.

There are other good, basic firewalls out there - like Evorim.

Really good, stand-alone, free firewalls are few and far in-between.
Thanks. I appreciate the help. I haven't heard about Evorim at all, but now with the help of google search I found it. Its good to see @MT is home to new security software even if you're a lone developer or part of large organisation.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm not worry against intrusion attacks since you should consider the environment where risk can be measure.

Well if insist; products like Tinywall, WFC, and few others are fine since they run under automated settings without conflict on other programs.

Note: Use it as your own preference as settings contains complications that can occur trouble if incorrectly configure.

---------------------------------

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I've used the following:

Windows Vista Firewall. Very poor and next to useless for me.

Comodo. Very good protection but an indescribable nightmare to clean install new versions. Almost wrecked my computer and as a result I won't go anywhere near Comodo products again.

Online Armor. Excellent protection but like most Emsisoft products a little resource heavy. Very good though but now discontinued.

ZoneAlarm. Doesn't get the credit it deserves in my opinion. On max settings it gives very good protection and is less intrusive than many would have you believe.

I've also used Peerblock in the past but I didn't think it was a firewall.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't really see the point in a fancy firewall, unless you enjoy being informed about useless information.
If an unknown program tries to make an outbound connection, windows firewall will block it, or ask you.
And if it is sophisticated malware, it will bypass both windows firewall and your fancy firewall.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
All my Linux machines have Gufw , and it makes life so much simpler , but we are talking Windows here :-

I have Tiny Wall on one W7 rig and WFC ( Binisoft ) on another ; can't really say that I use them that much
but they can stay , for now .

I used Glasswire for a while , but I now have some serious objections to it ( feel free to ask if anyone is interested )

What I do use ( and this is definitely a keeper ) is a beautifully light and elegant little app from Tweaking.com

It adds a right-click menu entry which is context-sensitive , so you won't see it unless you right-click on an executable .
Then you get a very simple and sensible choice of options to configure the firewall for that app .
What's not to like about that ? " Neat , sweet , petite " .... what was that 60s TV series ?

I really do admire elegant and well-crafted code , and this is a prime example ; no froth , no fluff , no whizz-bang
and as far as I can see , the dev didn't even stop to give it a name !
I guess he just moved on to the next project ?

I recommend it to all Malwaretippers , so much so that I might start a new thread about it :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
All my Linux machines have Gufw , and it makes life so much simpler , but we are talking Windows here :-

I have Tiny Wall on one W7 rig and WFC ( Binisoft ) on another ; can't really say that I use them that much
but they can stay , for now .

I used Glasswire for a while , but I now have some serious objections to it ( feel free to ask if anyone is interested )

What I do use ( and this is definitely a keeper ) is a beautifully light and elegant little app from Tweaking.com

It adds a right-click menu entry which is context-sensitive , so you won't see it unless you right-click on an executable .
Then you get a very simple and sensible choice of options to configure the firewall for that app .
What's not to like about that ? " Neat , sweet , petite " .... what was that 60s TV series ?

I really do admire elegant and well-crafted code , and this is a prime example ; no froth , no fluff , no whizz-bang
and as far as I can see , the dev didn't even stop to give it a name !
I guess he just moved on to the next project ?

I recommend it to all Malwaretippers , so much so that I might start a new thread about it :)
sounds very good, almost as good as the quote in your signature

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.