Battle Which one is lighter for a netbook: Kaspersky Antivirus 2014 or ESET Nod32 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hi!

I've been using ESET Nod32 7 on my netbook with this specs, and found it to be very light:

Intel Atom N455 1.66Ghz
2GB DDR3 RAM

I only do surfing and document works.

Also, the protection is very efficient. I have noticed on some independent lab tests that Kaspersky is one of the lightest now. However, based on users' real experiences, ESET is lighter, they say in multiple forums.

Which one really is lighter?

Thanks.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I haven't used KAV 2014 but I would have to say based on KIS 2013 that ESS is lighter.I would imagine the same for EAV & KAV.I really think it depends on your system as to whether or not you might even notice a difference.Nevermind the testing results and all that.Trying them for yourself is the only way you will really find the answer.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
From my experience, ESET Nod32 is way lighter than Kaspersky Antivirus 2014. I have tried them both on different machines, and each time the boot time, applications loading time and general experience feels better with ESET. Kaspersky Antivirus 2014 is a definite improvement over the 2012 and 2013 versions however, in some rare occasions, you can feel a certain lag.....might be only on my machine but .... I felt it.
Like @exterminator20 said, you should try them both on the laptop and see how you like them. ESET and Kaspersky both offer the 30-days trial so it's not that hard to test them. :D

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I second what all the members above have said:ESET
Have used both extensively and eset is way lighter:)

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I have used both, the difference is when I had KAV 2014 I could tell it was there, with ESET I could not tell it was on and always liked the protection it provides over others.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Thanks much. I have used KIS 2012 and 2013 and those versions were really heavy and slow. And - the updates - terribly slow too. But of course the protection is superb.

alexp79

Level 2
Verified
Jul 16, 2013
hello
Kaspersky is much lighter than before but it's still an heavy product.
Eset v7, i felt it a bit heavier than V6
For really light things, you can go with webroot or avira^^

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
hello
Kaspersky is much lighter than before but it's still an heavy product.
Eset v7, i felt it a bit heavier than V6
For really light things, you can go with webroot or avira^^

Of course webroot is super light. But i really doubt its efficiency and protection. Its detections rates are far too below than average according to 'reliable' antimalware testing videos. But its rollback feature is superb. I cannot fully trust a product that relies all on the cloud. I prefer signature + cloud.

alexp79

Level 2
Verified
Jul 16, 2013
hello
well all i can say is that i never experienced any infection issue with webroot but i am not an high risky user also
Too many products are eating computer's performances now; i like webroot lightess approach.
New 8 version is also really user friendly and easy to use.
In my opinion, as the main infection risk is internet surfing, cloud protection can be enough to protect a computer (risk of being infected offline is limited).
About webprotection, some free addons can increase the level of security; so all in all cloud is ok.
Last thing, MBAM or hitman can be there if the main protection fail one time but it's true for all products (by the past i experienced virus with gdata, avast, kaspersky, norton on my computer, nothing is perfect^^)

Last edited:
I

illumination

I agree with most above that previous times i have tried Kaspersky it was pretty heavy, compared to Eset, either in just AV's or suites..
I would vote Eset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.