Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I didn't check either of the 3 because I haven't used their latest offerings,
What's up with the "lighter" questions? Light is all relative to your system and what you have running on it.
..so I suppose our Windows 7 & 8 both using only Windows Defender, Firewall, & UAC (always notify) are technically lighter. We've an XP for which I would have checked "other" since Avira was not mentioned. '..the best protection in real time'?o_O I cant say, although my guess from what I've gleaned here from the "Oracles of Malware Eradication" has been that Comodo is very tight, Quihoo has been said to be light, and Avast may be as well.
But some antiviruses slow down your computer by using too much processing power in order to clean a virus
neverending, I think you want to know which one uses the least resources, is that right?;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I agree, everyone keeps asking this same ol' question.

Also what is meant by "lighter" for an AV? Performance?
- Maximum, average or idle RAM consumption
- Amount of I/O on the CPU
- Amount of disk space taken
- Bandwidth required for initial updates
- Bandwidth required for program, virus database, file checking etc.
- Installer size
- How much bloatware is included
- Time for a quick or full scan

In most polls, votes can based on their favourite software and what they experienced on their PC. For example: Some have gaming rigs running Windows 7 with the latest Intel CPUs and 16GB DDR3 RAM, while some have Windows XP with a single core and 512MB RAM. (Very slight exaggeration).

Why don't you try them, and what ones have you found to work best on your system? What kind of system specs do you have? :)

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
there is 2 questions here about 3 software

1: which one provides the best real time protection
2: And which one is lighter on system resources

1: Avast
2: Comodo
3: Qihoo 360

@neverending these types of questions are hard to answer because you did not give
enough info on your system and your experience level at dealing with Malware and/or
software and other security software on the pc

of the 3 Avast and Qihoo 360 would be for novice to experienced users
and Comodo could be a overwhelming experience for a novice user

and what works for some people might not work for other people

so it could be best to try them one at a time and see what works best for you

in the end your the only one that would know what works best for you

:)

James

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
Tiranium Anti-Virus has good detection rates and the ability to detect as behavioral Ransomwares, Trojans, Worms, Keyloggers and most of malwares.
Just take a try ;)

(but high RAM usage)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Can't go wrong with CFW and Qihoo 360. Both very light and ultra powerful. CFW for me is super light and plays nice with Qihoo 360.

kjdemuth, what is your opinion of Avast; and do you think it might also 'play nice' with Comodo's Firewall, or might one :eek:beat up on the other?:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Except for human error, so it's better to lock down Windows.

For example, Standard user account with a password-protected Admin account can prevent unintentional software installs. In Windows 8, you'll still be able to install Store apps without admin, and some programs that install to your user profile (I think it's the AppData folder?).

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I agree, everyone keeps asking this same ol' question.

Also what is meant by "lighter" for an AV? Performance?
- Maximum, average or idle RAM consumption
- Amount of I/O on the CPU
- Amount of disk space taken
- Bandwidth required for initial updates
- Bandwidth required for program, virus database, file checking etc.
- Installer size
- How much bloatware is included
- Time for a quick or full scan

In most polls, votes can based on their favourite software and what they experienced on their PC. For example: Some have gaming rigs running Windows 7 with the latest Intel CPUs and 16GB DDR3 RAM, while some have Windows XP with a single core and 512MB RAM. (Very slight exaggeration).

Why don't you try them, and what ones have you found to work best on your system? What kind of system specs do you have? :)

GREAT reply, and let me add to it, that most AV solutions will use less resources over time.
Initially they will soak up a lot of resources during the first 3 or 4 full scans, also when you are making HUGE changes to your software config you will see your security solutions use more ram and more capacity.
This due to the fact most make a snap shot of your system, and index it.
Well lets not go into details, but generally just look at the requirements of a AV program and you have a idea what you will be looking at in terms of resources.
Another thing is if you change settings within your AV you will see a increase or decrease of resources usage.
That being said if your system is properly maintained then usually your AV will not slow it down much.
But if your pc is considered clean by a user who barley knows how to turn it on or off, then yes I fully understand why ANY AV would make ur pc slow.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Personally I have no problems with CIS. I have been using it for a long time.

manmur, do you use Comodo Firewall too? I've read many good things about Comodo, although (presently) my sole experience has been using their extremely fast Chrome Browser alternative, Comodo Dragon.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.