Battle Which to buy - Cylance or KIS 2017?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

When I look at the price for 1 device both are $60.

I'm thinking of going signature-less since I already have HMPA, AppGuard, WinAntiRansom and VS (free). Maybe can add SBIE later...and...with a paid VPN

So which to buy?

Thanks

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You already have HMPA, AppGuard, WinAntiRansom and VS (free)."No need to buy AV".;)
Hi

FYI, I have ZAL too so I guess no need of Crystal Security, right?

But these applications cannot protect against phishing/fraud/malicious websites and PUP/PUA/PUS which traditional AV/Internet Security Suite are protecting against

Forget to mention I need a firewall as well....Comodo looks great

Thanks

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi

But these applications cannot protect against phishing/fraud/malicious websites and PUP/PUA/PUS which traditional AV/ISS are protecting.

Thanks
for phising and malicious website, use norton DNS and avira browser safety + ublock origin malware filters, reference is in logethica's security setup
PUPs, voodooshield can do the job better than most AVs due to its VT and Ai. Secondary prevention for PUPs is manual scanning with zemana, which is very very good against PUPS

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For phishing/fraud/malicious websites-Avira browser safety(ABS),PUP/PUA/PUS-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware(Free) and Unchecky(free).
I'm using Chrome and Firefox. As for Malwarebytes AntiMalware you'll need malware definitions download besides its PUA/PUP protection

FYI, I've tested the ABS latest version and it looks like not doing a good job compared to the old version. I had it removed from my Chrome browser

I'm trying to steer away from signatures

Thanks

Edit :- I'm re-testing ABS again in Chrome

Last edited:
W

Wave

Kaspersky Internet Security is a winner compared to Cylance, no one can recommend Cylance because as @SHvFl no one here has tried it and with good reason... IMO Cylance cannot be trusted because they fail to provide a freely available trial/free version to see a bit about it, regardless of why they may not do this (I do understand some of their reasons, about funding for their servers, etc). To me it just looks like all marketing with their "Next-Gen" stuff.

Kaspersky Internet Security is a very good product and sufficient enough for AV protection, and the Application Control is a very good and useful feature. :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
for phising and malicious website, use norton DNS and avira browser safety + ublock origin malware filters, reference is in logethica's security setup
PUPs, voodooshield can do the job better than most AVs due to its VT and Ai. Secondary prevention for PUPs is manual scanning with zemana, which is very very good against PUPS
Like I mentioned Malwarebytes AntiMalware and Zemana AntiMalware need signatures download

I wish there's a real-time software just to handle PUP/PUA/PUS

Kaspersky Internet Security is a winner compared to Cylance, no one can recommend Cylance because as @SHvFl no one here has tried it and with good reason... IMO Cylance cannot be trusted because they fail to provide a freely available trial/free version to see a bit about it, regardless of why they may not do this (I do understand some of their reasons, about funding for their servers, etc).

Kaspersky Internet Security is a very good product and sufficient enough for AV protection, and the Application Control is a very good and useful feature. :)
Cylance just started office in my country....I believe for corporate users

Like I said I want to steer away from signatures and both Cylance and KIS cost $60 for 1 device.....I don't mind trying Cylance

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wave

Cylance just started office in my country....I believe for corporate users

Like I said I want to steer away from signatures and both Cylance and KIS cost $60 for 1 device.....
But if no one has tried it here to test it's capabilities then we cannot recommend it, we cannot just take their marketing as straight facts and assume it is the best because it "Next-Gen".

And Kaspersky doesn't just use signatures. ;)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Like I mentioned Malwarebytes AntiMalware and Zemana AntiMalware need signatures download
not for zemana, I mean zemana free portable as a scanner when you are already infected by PUPs, usually they don't steal pr break anything, just annoying
zemana doesn't have offline signature, it's 100% cloud-based

you don't need to add anything with your current setup

for the question which to buy, I choose KIS but it's $10-20 if you can find some discounts
cylance is not reliable

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google Safe Browsing on Chrome is very effective against Phishing and Malware. And use Unchecky for Anti-PUA, it's useful when installing new Freeware software. Or click happy users.

Thought you said you wanted signature-less software, so I don't know why you want additional software like Kaspersky. :rolleyes:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
not for zemana, I mean zemana free portable as a scanner when you are already infected by PUPs, usually they don't steal pr break anything, just annoying
zemana doesn't have offline signature, it's 100% cloud-based

you don't need to add anything with your current setup

for the question which to buy, I choose KIS but it's $10-20 if you can find some discounts
cylance is not reliable
You are right that Zemana don't require signature download. I got confused with so many software for a moment

Google Safe Browsing on Chrome is very effective against Phishing and Malware. And use Unchecky for Anti-PUA, it's useful when installing new Freeware software. Or click happy users.

Thought you said you wanted signature-less software, so I don't know why you want additional software like Kaspersky. :rolleyes:
I just have a clean system so is considering both approaches....preferably signature-less. Can Unchecky remove Comodo's geek buddy? I tried that the last time but it won't...careless of me then

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Get KIS. More all around protection.
Thing is almost all can't suggest Cylance because none tried it. Cylance requires a credit card and buying to test and then if you don't like it refund before the trial expires(i think 30 days).
Too bad DeepArmor is still not available for purchase yet. I know there are some testers for DeepArmor here but no feedback so far

Thanks

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Too bad DeepArmor is still not available for purchase yet. I know there are some testers for DeepArmor here but no feedback so far

Thanks
They just started a beta not long ago. I for sure hope they take their time developing the product before releasing it. First release is the one that makes you or breaks you.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You actually have a decent solid protection, and i strongly think KIS will affect your system performance, due to its incompatibily with most security software. If you want an antivirus solution, i would suggest something light with a decent firewall to complement VS, like Norton Standard Security, Avast Free and CFW, or maybe Emsisoft Internet Security. As for the less-sig product you mentioned, i haven't had the opportunity to test it yet, but i just asked for a demo in representation of my working organization. If i get it, i'll probably give it to one of our AV reviewers to do some nice video for us.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I have a Cylance 1 year subscription so i maybe can help.

Cylance installer is about 150MB. You need a internet connection to update the client when a new one is released. No way around it.

Cylance quarantined three programs straight away that were not malware/virus. Cylance is known for false positives..

I have not tested Cylance with live malware yet because I deleted the program from my PC.

There are serious privacy questions about Cylance. It is a CIA funded start up so it has strong links to US intelligence.

I hope that helps.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Cylance installer is about 150MB. You need a internet connection to update the client when a new one is released. No way around it.

Cylance quarantined three programs straight away that were not malware/virus. Cylance is known for false positives..

I have not tested Cylance with live malware yet because I deleted the program from my PC.

There are serious privacy questions about Cylance. It is a CIA funded start up so it has strong links to US intelligence.

I hope that helps.
Thanks for the feedback

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For the sake of comparison, go to well established product and that is Kaspersky's AV/IS.

You can tweak the Application Control in such lock down (untrusted) against malicious threats; which already defeats common techniques like Cloud or signatures.

Although you can go to Appguard or use Voodoshield on the other hand. ;)

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014

I hope that helps.
Thanks for your input!

If I may ask, what are those three "clean" programs? I just want to know because they may have been quarantined for a reason.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.