Battle Which Toolbar with URL Filter/Web Protection would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Tobi said:
Both have an affiliation with Visicom Media and if you attempt to run them both one gets killed. Heh... :angel:

Indeed one becomes useless if you install the second one.

I was surprised at Lavasoft approach on the toolbar plugins, in comparison with Panda...

P

Plexx

Thread author
Indeed they dont work with Dragon and Waterfox.

Their URL protection does work on Chrome tho, which is what I use.

Note that with Panda, the link in Lavasoft screenshot was not blocked at all, just Google Chrome blocking.

With Lavasoft, before its web protection kicks in, Google's protection kicks in first.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
No toolbars or add-ons, Just the Panda URL Filter Windows service. You don't need the toolbar in order to use it and it's very light.

P

Plexx

Thread author
MrXidus said:
No toolbars or add-ons, Just the Panda URL Filter Windows service. You don't need the toolbar in order to use it and it's very light.

I ended up uninstalling the toolbar as well but I went Lavasoft route :) So far so good.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What features do the ones I've highlighted in bold have?

malbky said:
Wont use either. My top picks are AVG Security toolbar, Bitdefender Traffic light and Trendmicro's toolbar.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Earth said:
What features do the ones I've highlighted in bold have?

malbky said:
Wont use either. My top picks are AVG Security toolbar, Bitdefender Traffic light and Trendmicro's toolbar.

From what I remember when I reviewed both security suites:

AVG had a safe search/advisor and then some plug ins like weather, facebook, windows applications. (looked a bit cluttered to be honest).

Trend Micro was simply a site advisor displaying if they are safe or not etc.

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
never tried Ad-Aware toolbar.

About Panda toolbar, it is only working for IE and Firefox even though Panda URL filter is working with Google Chrome. So, panda gets the vote.

I prefer Norton Toolbar since it's handling malicious websites and for it's Identity Safe (but I disabled it because I'm using LastPass).

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
I will say no to both of them....... i prefer bitdefender traffic light as it works in every browser......also bcoz it keep itself hidden with small icon that pops out in top bar which makes browser look clean.......

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Toolbar: Its sound like some unnecessary application which either installed by user wish or forced install on browser by some adware.
I am not fond of toolbar and I don't use them even they give some sorts of protection.

I would basically choose wot only if i have to filter malicious sites or i trust inbuilt web filter of antivirus.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
MRF71 said:
Aren't they the same thing? I prefer WOT or BDT

No they are not same but woth same function
WOT is a community-based, free safe surfing tool for browsers that provides website ratings & reviews to help web users as they search, surf & shop online.

TrafficLight. TrafficLight is a small, unobtrusive application which filters web traffic and blocks access to web pages which contain malware or phishing attempts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.