While we were discussing about which email provider is better: Gmail Delivers Spoofed Messages

vemn

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017
But I haven't been receiving such cases in my gmail though...

Gmail Delivers Spoofed Messages Without Warning, Researchers Find

Spoofed emails could easily land in user’s Gmail inboxes without even warning them of suspicious activity, security researchers have discovered.

While spam is normally used to deliver malicious documents or links to unsuspecting users, spoofed emails have a bigger chance of luring potential victims, because they are likely to click on a link or open a document coming from what they believe is a trusted contact. When it comes to spoofed messages, the sender is impersonated or changed to another, thus making messages appear legitimate.

Which users may expect Gmail to warn them of such suspicious activity, researchers at the Morphus Segurança da Informação recently discovered that this doesn’t always happen. According to them, users should revise the trust they have on Gmail blocking messages with spoofed senders, even when no alert is displayed regarding the legitimacy of that message.

“We realized that a message that appears in your Gmail inbox folder even with an important sign, coming from one of your Gmail contacts with no spoof or security alert, may have been forged and impersonated by a fraudster or cybercriminal,” Renato Marinho, Director at Morphus Segurança da Informação, explains.

Marinho explains that the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) defines the “mail envelop and its parameters, such as the message sender and recipient,” and not the message content and headers. Thus, a SMTP transaction includes Mail From (establishes the return address in case of failure), Rcpt to (the recipient address), and Data (a command for the SMTP server to receive the content of the message).

Read more: Gmail Delivers Spoofed Messages Without Warning, Researchers Find | SecurityWeek.Com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shukla44 and mal1
W

Wave

Yes, because no one has necessarily sent you a spoofed e-mail. The filter works fine for me and I regularly receive warnings if I open e-mail from my Spam folder (hunting for malicious content), although I don't need to do this anyway.

Reactions: shukla44 and vemn

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.