Why 360 total security is in Malware domains list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantac

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
Hi, yesterday I wanted to download 360 total security essential from the official site.
I've installed ublock origin that blocked the connection because the link to download the software was blacklisted by Malware Domains.
Do you know why?

dUyabay.png

Last edited:
Reactions: marg

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Probably a false positive from the list

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
This is the answer from Malware Domains
AN8N6d5.png

They are correct that it is indeed bundled in things like OpenCandy sometimes. This isn't exactly done without Qihoo telling them (Qihoo has to make money sometimes and data collection is one of those ways - it wouldn't be bundled if they weren't getting paid by Qihoo). The AV itself is safe but many people do not trust it for privacy reasons. And the fact that they cheated on a independent test (which I don't care about since those tests are... nevermind). If you trust Qihoo with your data, Qihoo is a great choice and has done very well in my own test. Protection wise, I can recommend it.

Reactions: Kent

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Hi, yesterday I wanted to download 360 total security essential from the official site.
I've installed ublock origin that blocked the connection because the link to download the software was blacklisted by Malware Domains.
Do you know why?

Don't worry about it. uBlock has lots of false positives :p. Basically they blocks most of the downloader sites even like softpedia/ download.com also.

They are correct that it is indeed bundled in things like OpenCandy sometimes. This isn't exactly done without Qihoo telling them (Qihoo has to make money sometimes and data collection is one of those ways - it wouldn't be bundled if they weren't getting paid by Qihoo). The AV itself is safe but many people do not trust it for privacy reasons. And the fact that they cheated on a independent test (which I don't care about since those tests are... nevermind). If you trust Qihoo with your data, Qihoo is a great choice and has done very well in my own test. Protection wise, I can recommend it.

That's strange. I have installed in many times in many systems but never seen it installing opencandy. Though I agree that the Andorid verison is pretty nasty and installs lots of junk ware if you are not aware.

Reactions: Kent

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Don't worry about it. uBlock has lots of false positives :p. Basically they blocks most of the downloader sites even like softpedia/ download.com also.

That's strange. I have installed in many times in many systems but never seen it installing opencandy. Though I agree that the Andorid verison is pretty nasty and installs lots of junk ware if you are not aware.

It itself doesn't install OpenCandy or similar adware, other software bundles it using things like OpenCandy. All installers for Qihoo are completely clean unlike some other AV's that bundle things like Dropbox sync, Geekbuddy, etc.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This is the answer from Malware Domains
AN8N6d5.png
Sometimes you have to make your own decision regarding these warnings from uBlock.I have seen the same for very legitimate sites and download links.360 TS site is not blocked and has a good rating.
The reason it is probably blocked is because the download is from CNET.If you download it from MajorGeeks and choose the "Authors site" uBlock will give you the same warning.This is because it is downloaded from CNET.If you choose to download from MajorGeeks the download is not blocked.It is not 360 TS that is being blocked but the download site itself.That being CNET which is what bundles the installer with junk.
You will have to make your own judgement on it.There are a lot of members who use it.I have not used it so I cannot advise you on it other than if you have doubts then don't use it.
I think it has been pegged by some as a virus or malware because it can be,or was,difficult to remove form your system.It places files and registry keys deep within your system.This can make it difficult to completely remove,much like Norton in early 2000.It is not a virus or malware and can be removed completely from your system.
You can find reviews for it here and by googling it as well as guides to completely uninstall it from your system should you choose to try it.
There are many other free options available also that provide excellent protection.

Below are the VT results for the installer downloaded from majorgeeks

360TS_Setup_8.0.0.1058
Version: 8.0.0.1058
Size: 39.8 MB

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...5d191a3ea7935fd7ebe78d63f0e4477bf27/analysis/

Installer is clean in MBAM & Avast IS

Last edited:
Reactions: Anupam

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
In the past there were issues with the qihoo site too. Normally the official download should be safe. If you trust qihoo, use it. If not, there are lots of alternatives out there.

fantac

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
Sometimes you have to make your own decision regarding these warnings from uBlock.I have seen the same for very legitimate sites and download links.360 TS site is not blocked and has a good rating.
The reason it is probably blocked is because the download is from CNET.If you download it from MajorGeeks and choose the "Authors site" uBlock will give you the same warning.This is because it is downloaded from CNET.If you choose to download from MajorGeeks the download is not blocked.It is not 360 TS that is being blocked but the download site itself.That being CNET which is what bundles the installer with junk.
You will have to make your own judgement on it.There are a lot of members who use it.I have not used it so I cannot advise you on it other than if you have doubts then don't use it.
I think it has been pegged by some as a virus or malware because it can be,or was,difficult to remove form your system.It places files and registry keys deep within your system.This can make it difficult to completely remove,much like Norton in early 2000.It is not a virus or malware and can be removed completely from your system.
You can find reviews for it here and by googling it as well as guides to completely uninstall it from your system should you choose to try it.
There are many other free options available also that provide excellent protection.

Below are the VT results for the installer downloaded from majorgeeks

360TS_Setup_8.0.0.1058
Version: 8.0.0.1058
Size: 39.8 MB

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...5d191a3ea7935fd7ebe78d63f0e4477bf27/analysis/

Installer is clean in MBAM & Avast IS

No, they blocked the official download link of 360 TS Essential from the official site as you can see from my first screenshot. That's why I was worried.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Sometimes those developers who analysed made correct findings, the verdict is rated as suspicious hence not totally malicious so we all know that the primarily suspect may bundled PUP which isn't a big deal if you exclude on installation or use Unchecky.

Reactions: XhenEd

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
No, they blocked the official download link of 360 TS Essential from the official site as you can see from my first screenshot. That's why I was worried.
The official download from the official site is from CNET.The offline installer is from 360 however I imagine that is from CNET also or associated with it.
XQ4lgmJ.png

However like I said if you have concerns there are other free options that provide excellent protection

fantac

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
The official download from the official site is from CNET.The offline installer is from 360 however I imagine that is from CNET also or associated with it.
XQ4lgmJ.png

However like I said if you have concerns there are other free options that provide excellent protection

NO. This is TOTAL SECURITY. I'm talking about TOTAL SECURITY ESSENTIAL. Try to download it from this link Download Free 360 Total Security Essential

This is their new reply. Another mail they send me. They attached this Malware Analysis. Malwr - Malware Analysis by Cuckoo Sandbox

IeXwSyW.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
NO. This is TOTAL SECURITY. I'm talking about TOTAL SECURITY ESSENTIAL. Try to download it from this link Download Free 360 Total Security Essential
No need for the all caps to make a point.It is the same thing for both 360TS & 360SE.Both are blocked but if you download it from Filehippo or majorgeeks they are not blocked.They are talking about distribution which probably refers to what I was saying earlier.Like I said the software Installer is clean for both 360TS & 360SE.
I also said it is not uncommon for uBlock origin to have an FP which requires the user to make a decision.As far as I know 360 is safe however uninstallation problems and other issues are a different thing all together.
Personally I do not download anything from CNET.Majorgeeks & Filehippo are usually very good.

fantac

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
No need for the All caps.It is the same thing for both 360TS & 360SE.Both are blocked but if you download it from Filehippo or majorgeeks they are not blocked.They are talking about distribution which probably refers to what I was saying earlier.Like I said the software Installer is clean for both 360TS & 360SE

Sorry for the caps. No, it's not the same thing because as you can see from the screenshots 360 TS is downloaded from CNET(that ublock always blocked) while 360 SE is downloaded from the qihoo site that ublock never blocked since yesterday.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Malware Domains said:
This is more a warning how we saw it being distributed
Once they flag one they obviously flag the whole site.In the second reply they were talking about it being distributed in a zip file
This is what they were probably talking about from CNET.Totally different installer
Code:
360TS_Setup_Mini_OG_DS_DD-66347416
They also backpedaled on their first reply,"We cannot recommend using this product" ,by saying the program is ok to use in their second reply.
I am not going to beat a dead horse anymore as it is obviously a user decision on whether or not to use the software.I will recommend that nobody download it from CNET.

Here are the VT results from the CNET installer https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...b8f30315ff2ee8c9ce6ca91cf2b1ec9d917/analysis/

This paints a totally different picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.