Why antivirus uses so much RAM – And why that is actually a good thing! - Emsi blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Conclusion regarding Emsisoft users, If you’re not somewhere near the physical memory maximum, during a busy computer day, disable the “Memory usage optimization” to get the best possible performance. Why is it even enabled by default then..

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Conclusion regarding Emsisoft users, If you’re not somewhere near the physical memory maximum, during a busy computer day, disable the “Memory usage optimization” to get the best possible performance. Why is it even enabled by default then..
Because not every machine have more than 2 - 3 GB of RAM and without this optmialisation EIS would kill the machine?

N

Noxx

I'm not saying having less than 4gb is weird in 2016, but it is weird in 2016. My brother got a new laptop over the holidays and it only has like 2gb of ram and can barely run built-in Windows 10 at factory settings with no games, no AV, etc. There shouldn't be any new PC's being sold at Walmart, or anywhere else for that matter, with less than 8gb. Just my two cents for what it's worth, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I'm not saying having less than 4gb is weird in 2016, but it is weird in 2016. My brother got a new laptop over the holidays and it only has like 2gb of ram and can barely run built-in Windows 10 at factory settings with no games, no AV, etc. There shouldn't be any new PC's being sold at Walmart, or anywhere else for that matter, with less than 8gb. Just my two cents for what it's worth, lol.
And what about old machines? My wife for example is still using old Samsung laptop with 3GB RAM and she is not going to change it since it's working good, so people like her need the optimisation option ticked on by default :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A software should have an adequate RAM usage operation in order to make sure that the process and performance work in such reliable way; so for AV, definitely a must because its not just a simple delete of threats but rather perform disinfection tools to avoid any complications.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo: Of course you can, let Emsisoft do the job where usually stability issues are minimal even though the hardware specification are not in the minimum requirements.

The influence of other applications affects the performance how it is being stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.