Advice Request Why are we even messing with anything other than WD these days?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I personally like a third party AV solution, on this PC at this this time KIS - To be honest I don't have an explanation why or feel I need one, It's very unlikely I will ever use WD on my PC's or those I look after at least in my lifetime :D:D

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Out of curiosity, do you use any additional software for banking transactions?
No. It is not required in the home environment when one uses WD + Edge + H_C settings (also for ConfigureDefender and FirewallHardening) adjusted to the user safety habits.

I had to correct my previous post about Heimdal Thor. The actual Heimdal software is a full AV, so it turns off WD real-time protection.
Most (non-casual) users in the home environment probably do not need a dedicated Banking Protection when using WD (ConfigureDefender HIGH preset) + Edge + FirewallHardening and using the second local account only for Banking. The exception may be sharing the computer with several family members. Another exception can be related to users who need to do banking in public networks, outside the safe home environment.
In such situations, the better solution is buying a commercial AV with Banking Protection or using a banking mobile app (for PC or mobile devices).
It is good to use a separate device, if possible (especially smartphone or tablet), only for banking.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

No. It is not required in the home environment when one uses WD + Edge + H_C settings (also for ConfigureDefender and FirewallHardening) adjusted to the user safety habits.

I had to correct my previous post about Heimdal Thor. The actual Heimdal software is a full AV, so it turns off WD real-time protection.
Most (non-casual) users in the home environment probably do not need a dedicated Banking Protection when using WD (ConfigureDefender HIGH preset) + Edge + FirewallHardening and using the second local account only for Banking. The exception may be sharing the computer with several family members. Another exception can be related to users who need to do banking in public networks, outside the safe home environment.
In such situations, the better solution is buying the commercial AV with Banking Protection or using a banking mobile app (for PC or mobile devices).
It is good to use a separate device, if possible (especially smartphone or tablet), only for banking.
Good words of reason and wisdom!

I agree with everything you said. I think the very nature of security and security forums in general is the tendency to always focus on the what if's and/or possibilities, rather than looking at the larger picture/targeted audience. The home environment for the most part typicaly isn't subject to a lot of the advanced attacks that is typically discussed on security fourms. Are they possible, yes absolutely, but there is a difference between whats possible and who is the targeted audience.

As you've said using the built in security within W10 (with some tweaking Configure defender and such), most home users will be fine. Most major browsers now a days work to help prevent some of this from happening. While still not perfect, browsers today are way more secure than they use to be 15 years ago.

That being said, as you pointed out, it's all about assessing the risk. If your at home and only you, or your close family use the computer, you are more than likely fine. However if you are in a public space, or others besides your family uses the computer, more measures may be required. That 3rd party program with banking protection may be worth it then, or simply use the official banking app on your phone/tablet. Another option for home and even in public is to use a secure/reliable VPN. In addition you could always have a separate W10 install in a VM that is only used for that purpose, or even have a Linux distro (dual boot/VM) for that purpose as well.

As with many things in life, there is more than one way to approach a problem. It all comes down to which one works best for you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
In such situations, the better solution is buying a commercial AV with Banking Protection or using a banking mobile app (for PC or mobile devices).
If one requires an advanced banking/web protection outside the home environment, then there is something like Heimdal Thor Foresight:
This one does not disable WD real-time protection and would be an excellent companion for WD + Edge as a web/banking/shopping protection. It works for all Internet traffic (not only for web browsers). It is available now as a free 1-year promotion:
Normally it costs 45 € (1 year - 3 devices).

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
With Thor Heimdel Foresight, maybe I'd consider online banking. But if I installed something like Trusteer Rapport, I would not feel so comfortable, even with an H_C profile. It's a free software, yes, but nowadays, "free" too often costs you something.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
With Thor Heimdel Foresight, maybe I'd consider online banking. But if I installed something like Trusteer Rapport, I would not feel so comfortable, even with an H_C profile. It's a free software, yes, but nowadays, "free" too often costs you something.
Yes, I do not know free & good banking protection that would protect well on the already infected computer. But, in the home environment, the best strategy is to apply the security that will prevent malware infections and then you do not need banking protection. It is much harder to apply such protection in enterprises due to a very big attack surface.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.