Why bullguard activate his own firewall and windows firewall is this a bug?

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Ignore it, Agnitum Firewall is gone, instead Bullguard's Firewall now functions as a layer on top of Windows Firewall, similar to programs like Windows Firewall Control. BullGuard now manages rules and settings for the inbuilt Windows Firewall and also adds some additional functionality.

Windows Firewall and BullGuard Firewall both being displayed as ON in the Action Center/Security and Maintenance Applet is the recommended and proper behaviour.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
BullGuard now basically functions as an extension/upgrade for Windows Firewall.

Agnitum being acquired by Yandex meant the end of OEM support as it was the base for BullGuard's firewall. Hence BullGuard decided to drop the old code and instead build a new layer "on top of" Windows Firewall.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
BullGuard now basically functions as an extension/upgrade for Windows Firewall.

Agnitum being acquired by Yandex meant the end of OEM support as it was the base for BullGuard's firewall. Hence BullGuard decided to drop the old code and instead build a new layer "on top of" Windows Firewall.

The interesting part is I see that Windows firewall is turned off because I am running a firewall from a trusted vendor (Bullguard)

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
The interesting part is I see that Windows firewall is turned off because I am running a firewall from a trusted vendor (Bullguard)

Uhh, I am sure because BullGuard itself had given me this explanation that they have relegated all "low level filtering functions" to the Windows Firewall and only operate on top of the already existing Firewall.

I haven't used BullGuard in a few months, so will need to check if they changed it.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Most (home user) vendors will take this road, it is simpler, cheap and requires less development and support resources.
Security-wise, Windows Firewall is good enough for classic home use, and even if a malware try to call home, you main concern isn't the fact that it calls home, but how come it is running to even call home.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.