Advice Request Why do some people still suggest MCShield?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crypto

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I've noticed that a few individuals here still use and recommend MCShield for some reason. It's a software that checks USBs for various security-risk points but it was last updated in 2014 and has appeared to have ceased in development.

Am I missing something or?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
because some AVs don't have a proper virus protection for USB
you don't need it if you are using Windows defender, avast, avira,... the resting I don't know
you should use it if you have kaspersky (extremely slow scanning speed), norton (USB protection is present in settings but does it work or not???)

I may do a test for USB protection feature of multiple AVs but this will take so much effort

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I've noticed that a few individuals here still use and recommend MCShield for some reason. It's a software that checks USBs for various security-risk points but it was last updated in 2014 and has appeared to have ceased in development.

Am I missing something or?
no, you are not missing anything, is because usb-based attacks have not evolved very much, so it is still a viable and free standalone.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
How about SmadAV (Indonesian)? It has some more features like registry scan besides simple USB protection.
Tried it, but can't be sure if it's better than MCshield.

Reactions: mal1
W

Wave

I've noticed that a few individuals here still use and recommend MCShield for some reason.
As long as you don't plug-in USB devices from others and are careful then it's not necessary. You'd be better off investing time with using HitmanPro.Alert to block attacks such as BadUSB (exploit). You can also disable auto-run.

How about SmadAV (Indonesian)?
I wouldn't waste your time with using small projects like this when we have Windows Defender.

A registry scanner in a security product can be useful to rid of traces of previous malware infections (e.g. left over keys) but unless the system has been hijacked to block Task Manager/registry tools/mess up UAC and the such, then it's pointless.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The programs software was last updated in 2014, but doesn't mean it won't receive updates within the program. @TwinHeadedEagle may be able to provide a better answer.

Translated with Google Translate:
People MCShield not need any updating. Updates to the events if someone eventually sign FP or if you come out with a new malware that MCShield can not cope, and this is not something new occurs. MCShield is now updated to cover all known malware techniques that benefits would not be spread via USB. When something new comes, then it will probably MCShield bit Update and updated.
Source: MCShield v3

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
The programs software was last updated in 2014, but doesn't mean it won't receive updates within the program. @TwinHeadedEagle may be able to provide a better answer.

Translated with Google Translate:

Source: MCShield v3
I was ready to quote TwinHeadedEagles words when you just did it :D

I still use this program but only when plugging external storage devices to my Computer. Windows Defender is not a specialized tool for USB infections, so it stands to reason that MCShield is much more than useless. There are often fp's, but if you 're not a novice user you can handle the situation and benefit from the product a lot - it offers a quarantine, and protection levels.

Reactions: Ink and Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
A registry scanner in a security product can be useful to rid of traces of previous malware infections (e.g. left over keys) but unless the system has been hijacked to block Task Manager/registry tools/mess up UAC and the such, then it's pointless.
Got ya! I've actually reverted to Win 8.1 right now.
Curious to find any significant differences in the protection modes offered by SmadAV and MCShield. TwinHeadedEagle's post helps, but it makes me ponder more about it.

Reactions: Wave
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.