Why Do We Make This So Difficult??

Status
Not open for further replies.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
HI! Why do we make our computer world so difficult? My computer world is very simple. I always have a clean back up image of my OS on a external drive. In fact, I probably have 8 images that I know are free from malware on my external 1TB HD at this very moment.
I can use my Macrium Windows PE3.1 to boot my PC and choose anyone of the 8 images and be back up and running just like the day I created that image. I can replace my HD with one equal to or larger and be back up and running just like I was on the day I created that image. Yes. I can restore that image to a brand new cold HD.
Why do you not do these things. It beats the Hell out of me. It's very easy to create a back up image of your OS. Macrium Reflect has made it so simple a 4 year old could do it. What's you excuse?
Are you waiting for the day when your OS has gotten so corrupted that it won't boot windows. Well it will be to late then. Do it now!
I have to get on my stump on every forum that I have joined and create a thread like this, hoping at least one person reads it and creates a back up image of their OS. There are a lot of free and paid for programs that will get the job done. Please get one and create a back up image of your OS. I haven't been in the computer world all that long, but only a idiot would not take this advise from someone that has recovered from a corrupted Windows OS and who has used Macrium many times to get out of a jam. It's so easy and takes a lot of worry and stress from your mind knowing you can recover from almost any disaster;)
DO IT NOW!!:rolleyes:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I hope everyone who comes to this site reads this, it is very very good advice. Mostly the people posting in the Malware help section how to get them to read the above post. ;) Please all DO IT NOW.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
i have similar system backup which can be used to restore fully updated window 8.1 within 30 minutes with all necessary softwares installed.

you should make a good tutorial about it. Maybe that will help.
Hi there are already several tutorials about how to use Macrium Reflect.
Thanks for your reply!

I hope everyone who comes to this site reads this, it is very very good advice. Mostly the people posting in the Malware help section how to get them to read the above post. ;) Please all DO IT NOW.
Hi friend! Thanks for your reply. If just one person reads this and creates a back up image of their OS, I will be a happy camper.;)

i have similar system backup which can be used to restore fully updated window 8.1 within 30 minutes with all necessary softwares installed.

you should make a good tutorial about it. Maybe that will help.
Why not share your back up system??:)

Why restore back to factory and have to down load all your Apps again when you can restore from a image you created when your PC was free form malware and running just like you wanted it to. Sure a clean install is good some times, but not every time you want to restore your OS because you really messed things up. Maybe a restore to a earlier time might work, it it's not corrupted by malware.:eek:

Hi Thanks for condensing my replies. Very professional!
I have one more tip for MT members. Go into setting usually F2 and set your boot order to boot to DVD/CD as first choice.
I don't understand why that's not default, but it's not. It may add a few seconds to your start up time, but there may be a day when you're glad you have it set that way.
What's your plan when you have a disaster??
Mine is Macrium Reflect!
http://www.macrium.com/help.aspx

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 421
Last edited by a moderator:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for a good thread here. It's all true, but I think my head would spin if I tried to understand all the reasons PC users don't use an imager. I think it's partly at least because they don't understand how it works and that the whole process happens outside of Windows. The whole idea leaves them stuck sensing that they will have to try to learn how to image on an (all too often) underpowered machine with (all too often) too little disk space (no backup drive is too common too) and on a PC they probably won't be able to boot into to restore, anyway (if they need to restore).

For me, learning that it happens outside of Windows meant that I then knew that I needed backup drives over and beyond even a single one. That's when I started to get it what imaging can do. Then, when I saw how small they can be, 15 GB for 35 GB of data and so on, I was blown away. After a little while I got down the differential backup methods and those backups are only 5-8 GB many times. The payoff is so huge. Backing up a whole 35 GB system with a 15 GB master and then having several what amounts to full backups that are only 5-8 GB in size makes imaging seem like too good to be true almost. Yet it isn't too good to be true.

I run across too many users stuck in that perpetual paranoia of one drive. We've all been there (most of us) at least for awhile. They just don't realize how much so imaging makes finding a way to pay for the extra equipment worth their efforts. It's so much peace of mind. I think I would say it's the biggest single payoff in the steps to learning to gain mastery over a PC.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
It's so much peace of mind. I think I would say it's the biggest single payoff in the steps to learning to gain mastery over a PC.
That is the best reply I have ever seen my friend. I wish I would have said that.
You just made this old man's day! I'm sure you will be a asset to MT!
Welcome to MT my friend. Backup images are dear to this old man's heart.

Reactions: tonibalas and AtlBo

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
i never have any backups and dont need backups. each there own. some need backups,some not. if my os realy get broken i simply format and reinstall it but in all my years that never happens. so for me its a time of waste todo so much backups for no reasons.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
i never have any backups and don't need backups. each there own. some need backups,some not. if my os realy get broken i simply format and reinstall it but in all my years that never happens. so for me its a time of waste todo so much backups for no reasons.
Good for you! I hope you never need to restore your OS. Some need back ups and some don't have back ups and that's why I keep preaching.;)
If you simply format and reinstall but have never done that; how do you know that will work?? Do you have a OME CD??

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I'll try I promise and thanks for the welcome...

Reactions: frogboy

reyes

Level 4
Verified
Sep 5, 2013
This is the first thing i do :) create a clean backup of the system with all updates using Terabyte Image for Linux ... then i will create another image with all the apps i need :) that's it whenever i need i can go back and restore a clean image :)

oops forgot to mention that i have create a bootable usb using Easy2boot containing Terabyte IFL, Terabyte WinPE, Bootit Bare Metal, Shadow protect Recovery environment :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Welldone

Level 5
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
I feel glad that i can get my OS up and running in less than 10 minutes.I create backup images once a month with TeraByte Unlimited's Image for Linux and once every 3 months using ShadowProtect and Macrium Reflect Pro WinPE.:D

I use Bvckup2 for backup of data files/folders;Once i connect the External HDD,data files/folders are mirrored automatically :)

If not for backup images,it would take me more than a day to patch and configure Windows especially with slow internet connection.Also backup images gives me the confidence to use RollBack Rx for fast restores(like 1 minute or so) which i find very convenient to test various software updates/upgrades.:cool:

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I have a whole drawer full of live boot able CD's. WinPE3.1. Bart PE, Hirens Bot CD and a whole bunch more.
I run W7. Just never got into Linux yet;)

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
For me the backups are different :D.

I do not do Windows Full Backup.
I keep backup of every important things including configurations everyday. I have a small batch script which copies them to my 2 TB Network Drive. ( Z Drive in by below screenshot )

upload_2015-1-2_13-27-44.png

Whenever I face any problem ( Did not face in last 10 year though :p. I am too cautious about the security of my computer except one time HDD crashed ), I resinall fresh windows and softwares. I like it clean. May be I have to work little bit but that gives me more peace :D .

Even I re-install my entire system every 3 to 4 months on one weekend ;)

R

rocky

I used to rely on Macrium but not so much anymore. I have one complete backup on a external drive. But on a daily basis I use Ax64 Time Machine. The hot restore has worked well for me and I catch myself jumping between snapshots of different security configurations daily sometimes.

Reactions: scot and frogboy

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
This is the first thing i do :) create a clean backup of the system with all updates using Terabyte Image for Linux ... then i will create another image with all the apps i need :) that's it whenever i need i can go back and restore a clean image :)

Same here.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
One of the importance is a fully working BIOS especially hotkeys with the ability of changing boot sequence since in order to restore images from hot backup then a bootable CD/DVD/USB/External HDD is need.

My Samsung Ultrabook came an issue due to such accidents happened for some reason cannot access the BIOS + boot sequence is not working/missing on BIOS menu.

Reactions: scot
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.