Advice Request Why Do You Use Windows Defender Antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For Part 1: Windows 10 - Why Do You Use Windows 10?
Self-explained thread title.

Windows Defender Antivirus is:
  • Invades Your Privacy
  • Sends All Data to Microsoft Servers
  • Very Weak Protection
  • Slows Down My PC
  • Scans All My 1000 Downloaded Files
  • Low Detection Rate
  • Easily Bypassed
  • No Real Firewall
  • Uses All My RAM (Memory)
  • Broken White-listing Settings
  • Lack of Customization
  • Cannot Be Trusted
Comment below.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
  • Understands Windows arquitecture the best
  • Doesn't ruin Windows Updates
  • Is improved in every build
  • Includes vulnerability protection
  • Attack surface reduction
  • Can completely integrate into SRP policies and can be configured in order to default-deny
  • Is widely used, meaning fast signature recognition
  • Leo from TPSC doesn't like it so I now love it

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
WD has lots of features, you just have to enable them. Exploit protection can also harden or stop build-in script engines. With a default deny SRP allowing admins to bypass, there is no better and lighter protection (at least on our PC's). Only on my (travel) ASUS 2-in-1 with Intel Atom Z3740 low end processor, I have excluded Program Files and Windows folders to scan to reduce system impact.

For me WD plus Hard Configurator and WD configurator sort of made all other security software redundant (I only have Kaspesky free VPN on my Asus 2-in-1 when booking stuff while travellingl)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The answer is simple for most of the average home users, because WD on Windows 10 is one of the best free AVs.:giggle:
  1. You do not need to install it.
  2. It can protect you, as good as any free good AV.
  3. You do not need to fight with broken Windows Updates.
  4. You do not worry if it will work properly after the next Windows Update.
  5. It has a better anti script/macro protection than most free AVs.
  6. The known WD performance issues are usually invisible for the average users, except some (not common) hardware/software configurations.
  7. No nags and adware notifications.
  8. Advanced firewall is usually not needed in the home environment.
  9. You can trust M$ as much as other AV vendors, and sometimes more. Furthermore, M$ knows you already because you use M$ Windows.
  10. It cannot be easily bypassed on Windows ver. 1903 (upcoming). No one bothered to bypass it on the home user computers.
The answer can be simple also for the advanced users (in the free AV category):
  1. You can configure advanced WD features (ASR rules, Network Protection, Controlled Folder Access, etc.) via PowerShell or using ConfigureDefender tool. You cannot do it, for example, when using Kaspersky free or BitDefender free.
  2. You can quickly turn OFF/ON the protection when doing computer management tasks (file copying/comparing/compressing/decompressing etc.).
  3. You can use folders to store executables. Why to keep all of them in one folder?
  4. You can harden Windows Firewall and home router.
So, is WD the best solution for everyone? No, and there does not exist such a solution.
Should every one stick with WD? No, and the answer would be the same with Kaspersky or another good AV.(y)

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If one likes to use AV for testing malware, then WD is not a convenient solution. Everything related to detect and remove the malware takes a long time. Also, the WD Security Center is inconvenient for such tasks. But, it is not an issue for applying WD as a protection, when using the computer for the standard tasks.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Improved a lot the last two years,still don't trust it.
That is normal with TRUST. WD improved for 3 years. The rest improved for many years.:giggle:

But, I think that it is the time for accepting WD on Windows 10 as a protection comparable with other free AVs. I do not know the objective facts which could suggest that WD protection for home users is worse than with any good free AV. This is also true that I do not see why WD should be better in the home environment than any good free AV. (y)

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Two actual issues would be lack of customization of settings which Andy's tool can solve. Another, the main one is eating CPU. People say its because it scans downloaded files when opening folders even if they are staying dormant and aren't executed. @Andy Ful does Configure defender have setting to disable this and make WD perform better?

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I understand bashing windows 10 (last thread), but bashing windows defender is going bit far ( thread wide) but thats just my opinion

On topic:
- its built-in feature in os; well integrated, no need to install 3rd party
- antivirus wide its enough for me

Well integrated ? Sometime WD can't remove its own detection :D Don't assume things dude.

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
In my opinion I find it useless in the default configuration I believe that the SmartScreen protects more than it, the advanced protect well but there is much CPU usage. For Newbie user would recommend some third party protection of the type install and forget.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
If one likes to use AV for testing malware, then WD is not a convenient solution. Everything related to detect and remove the malware takes a long time. Also, the WD Security Center is inconvenient for such tasks. But, it is not an issue for applying WD as a protection, when using the computer for the standard tasks.
With Kaspersky free or Bitdefender free or Avast free or Forticlient or Sophos free you can not download anything from Malcode database because of web filters.For the most normal home users the security extensions is something unknown to they take the extra protection for defender

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
...the advanced protect well but there is much CPU usage….
There can be abnormal CPU usage on some computers, but normally the CPU usage is very low. Here is mine at this moment (0% CPU for WD):

Attachments

• tm.png
    tm.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 503

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
With Kaspersky free or Bitdefender free or Avast free or Forticlient or Sophos free you can not download anything from Malcode database because of web filters.For the most normal home users the security extensions is something unknown to they take the extra protection for defender
Why the most normal home user should visit the Malcode databases? :unsure:
He does not have to install any extension because Edge, Google Chrome and Firefox have it preinstalled.(y)

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
There can be abnormal CPU usage on some computers, but normally the CPU usage is very low. Here is mine at this moment (0% CPU for WD):
I Tested with your program that configures Windows Defender that is very good, I enabled high settings and noticed spikes of 100% CPU when I opened a browser for example, while in Avast spent around 60% CPU. My processor is a bit old is a phenom X6

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.