Why does Trend Micro send telemetry to data mining firms?

Discussion in 'Trend Micro' started by Slyguy, May 26, 2017.

1. Game Of Thrones

Game Of Thrones Level 5

Jun 5, 2014
    IT professional, real estate developer
    Windows 10
    Norton
    I go out and when I back home you find another reason for ditching the trend be aware to not become the second Snowden :) ( kidding :) ) thanks for enlightening us man, I myself really appreciate that and always enjoy your posts here. to me, trend is dead until they say something about this.

ravi prakash saini, JB007 and Fritz like this.
  2. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    #22 Slyguy, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Unfortunately I have got some confirmation that Trend Micro is part of the intelligence complex now. I think about it this way - let's say Booz/NSA come up with a new exploit, if their labs are merged with Trend how difficult would it be for them to whitelist this with Trend? Also since we now know Trend helped form an NSA investment firm in emerging tech companies this relationship appears tighter than at first glance.

Trend Micro and all of their products/associations are dead to me now.. Sadly. I'd say we should probably spread the word about this so people like whistleblowers, privacy advocates, regular citizens aren't caught up in what could be the telemetry/surveillance dragnet of Trend+Booz.

In the interest of disclosure, I used several tools to determine Trend's activity, including this one.. Which monitors/logs background application traffic to determine what they are doing and names the processes and locations;

3. woodrowbone

woodrowbone Level 8

Dec 24, 2011
    Wow! My own suspicions were that WSA is doing just what you described here...

/W

4. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    WSA employs spooks, I think their past press releases sort of gave that away. I'd try running Hacker Deterrent on it and see what telemetry and redirects are taking place from their modules. It's also possible much of this happens on the back end out of visibility of such tools.

For me, the idea of a PAID application harvesting my activity for profit is absolutely repulsive. Harvesting it for intelligence reasons is even more repulsive. Trend (and other firms) appear to be doing this.

I've only validated Emsisoft and Zemana NOT doing this.. I will be checking Dr. Web this evening. Avira, unfortunately does do this as well.. <sigh>

Fritz and woodrowbone like this.
  5. woodrowbone

woodrowbone Level 8

Dec 24, 2011
    If you have the time and feel for it, please check Avast.

/W

6. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    I am considering testing this outside of a VM on a development machine and running through a variety of security products. Avira, unfortunately, seems to have a fascination with MIXPANEL. Ironically, Emsisoft labels Mixpanel as a malicious/privacy invasion site in their database.

woodrowbone likes this.
  7. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    By the way, I believe the "B" domain Trend hits is the Booz Allen Hamilton one. (B for Booz) Just a guess really, I would need to reinstall it to find out for sure. But I think they'd probably feel putting Booz would be too obvious, and the B sufficed.

8. Slerion

Slerion Level 2

Feb 24, 2016
    Deutschland
    Is this still a thing ? i could get licenses for it very cheap

9. ispx

ispx Level 13

Jun 21, 2017
    not reachable
    trend micro is an interpol partner & they have no qualms in admitting it : so why the huge astonishment?

wrong, trend micro's headquarters are in yoyogi, shibuya, tokyo, japan :) get your facts right :p