Advice Request Why don't most Firewalls block a program? Some need to be blocked via Host files?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
Hi
i have 2 questions

1) why can't firewalls (at least all i have tested) block completely a program ?
for example , this is just a question for purpose knowledge , some programs for example (for example adobe programs like photoshop , lightroom and so on) could be blocked with several firewall but they can still comunicate sending outgoing data to the adobe servers

to block them completely , the hosts need to be edited ,additing some lines and the program it blocked @100%
well again it's for purpose knowledge (i pay them with a subscription) Can i know why can block block and intercept these outgoing data ?
it's an example , but there are many program that you can block with the firewall but they can comunicate with their servers
i know many program need for update and to work in case of subscriptions or to be sure they are legit , but there are many programs free , and honestly i would like to control them

in short why can they bypass the firewall?

2) is there a tool (or tools "programs") that are able to detect all the activity and track a program @100% ?
for example the program i listed above , and there are others paid softwares

thanks
best regards

I

illumination

hi
i have tried several firewall from Eset SpyShelter Comodo & Private FW in paranoid mode (no white list)

thanks
What steps have you taken with each, like example...

Eset: Firewall placed into interactive mode, all communication notifications by application have been blocked
CW: set to Custom, again, all set to block
Private FW: Custom rule added to block application communication.

Custom rules can be applied to all 3, was this done?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.