Why I hate "tech" movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
You see...some FBI officials call some guy. The guy says he is a "little good with computers" and opens the command prompt. He types ipconfig/all and that's it, he has hacked one of the most powerful mega-evil hackers' servers...He then "uploads virus" that "he just created using C++". And then all the identities of the hackers are "uploaded" to the "FBI Server". The FBI guys shake hand with the guy who is good with computers but is actually a doctor before giving him a few thousand million dollars....

If it was that easy, we all be trillionaries. Programmers would actually get a laid (...It took me 26 years to get a wife...), but is that THAT simple?

I don't think so.
7024.PHPInfection_5F00_SourceCode1.jpg

I understand the code. Most of us do. But does the guy who is "good with computers" understand this code? I don't think so. So why do they ridicule computer science and its scientists? Why do they think it's so simple...Why? It's just so...unnerving...

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
I'am programmer too, and i hate too this type of movies where their connect a USB per example and get all the 150 TO database in one second with a black white window with some file names (lol x2).

From my opinion, they did that because their know nothing in computer and not have the time to understand how a computer is working etc.
Their need just something that look good for beginners that will not know what we know us, and will think that is real.

Btw, it's because of all of that, that lot of users came with the idea of "one click to hack a facebook account".

Everything seems very easy, impossible things too..

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I hate it in movies when the scene plays out like this (whilst trying to hack into a technical company called 'Horizons').

FBI Agent: "Can you hack into their server kid?"
13 yr old kid: "Yeah, easy"

[Enter Password: _]

Kid types
[Enter Password: horizons]

Kid: "I'm in!"

[Intruder Detected!]

Kid: Ah nuts, there's a firewall."

Kid types

[Disable firewall_]

[Firewall Disabled]

Kid: "yes!"
FBI: "What did I tell you, he's one of the best hackers in the world!"

Still, at least they used nmap in the Matrix movies ;)

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I'am programmer too, and i hate too this type of movies where their connect a USB per example and get all the 150 TO database in one second with a black white window with some file names (lol x2).

From my opinion, they did that because their know nothing in computer and not have the time to understand how a computer is working etc.
Their need just something that look good for beginners that will not know what we know us, and will think that is real.

Btw, it's because of all of that, that lot of users came with the idea of "one click to hack a facebook account".

Everything seems very easy, impossible things too..
I've spent my entire life working with computers and yet I don't know what's the green window called where every line of code appears green...I've too so much to learn, and I've a M.S in computer science...not to mention I've read fifty books about computer science, excluding my text books in high school.

I know the "facebook password generator" hack that generates "user's password". This is...so ridiculous. How can an outside client know a Facebook user's password? Doesn't the hacker actually have to hack the database and then put those "passwords" to his program? And isn't that illegal according to the ToS of FB? So ridiculous, they mock the I.T industry.

D

Deleted member 21043

While I understand your side of the argument, at the end of the day it is just a movie and it's meant to be there for entertainment. If they really showed you how to hack someone with a real professional, that could end up very bad considering someone could snapshot, zoom in (or whatever you did to get that above image showing the code used in the "film") and then everyone would be hacking each other (or hacking the individual where the value is already there, or showing a understanding of how you really do hack someone).

I am a programmer and I am not that fussed about it, in fact, I don't even mind what they put on there. It's just for entertainment and I am usually focused on the fighting/action areas and the interesting parts. It's like in James Bond Quantum of Solace (sorry if I got the wrong film name, or below description of what I am talking about, been a long time since I watched it), at the beginning he goes after the hard drive with SO MUCH "data" of the agents, but then it's for Entertainment. I doubt it could store "so much" data that it would completely "put everyone in danger", or that they would store anything from little amount that won't matter if stolen on it in the first place because that would be a risk I doubt any special agency would do, however at the end of the day it is just a film for entertainment and if this wasn't the case it would make it so much harder to write a storyline and have it done as good as it was.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I hate it in movies when the scene plays out like this (whilst trying to hack into a technical company called 'Horizons').

FBI Agent: "Can you hack into their server kid?"
13 yr old kid: "Yeah, easy"

[Enter Password: _]

Kid types
[Enter Password: horizons]

Kid: "I'm in!"

[Intruder Detected!]

Kid: Ah nuts, there's a firewall."

Kid types

[Disable firewall_]

[Firewall Disabled]

Kid: "yes!"
FBI: "What did I tell you, he's one of the best hackers in the world!"

Still, at least they used nmap in the Matrix movies ;)
Oh how much I hate those...I love how the password is "admin" to the inner, core source-code of a mega-multi corporation that controls all the world...this is so ridicuclous, don't they know how to install Lastpass?...Matrax had sense, it wasn't too much senseless, but not even that was realistic, and when it was released, the age was of Assembly.

Reactions: Cowpipe

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
While I understand your side of the argument, at the end of the day it is just a movie and it's meant to be there for entertainment. If they really showed you how to hack someone with a real professional, that could end up very bad considering someone could snapshot, zoom in (or whatever you did to get that above image showing the code used in the "film") and then everyone would be hacking each other (or hacking the individual where the value is already there, or showing a understanding of how you really do hack someone).

I am a programmer and I am not that fussed about it, in fact, I don't even mind what they put on there. It's just for entertainment and I am usually focused on the fighting/action areas and the interesting parts. It's like in James Bond Quantum of Solace (sorry if I got the wrong film name, or below description of what I am talking about, been a long time since I watched it), at the beginning he goes after the hard drive with SO MUCH "data" of the agents, but then it's for Entertainment. I doubt it could store "so much" data that it would completely "put everyone in danger", or that they would store anything from little amount that won't matter if stolen on it in the first place because that would be a risk I doubt any special agency would do, however at the end of the day it is just a film for entertainment and if this wasn't the case it would make it so much harder to write a storyline and have it done as good as it was.
I agree with you, but it's been so overused. They don't really necessarily need to show how to hack, but they should keep those scenes minimum...Star Wars for example. It was meant for entertainment, but only if the entertainment was a little more realistic. I don't mind if they over-simplify our jobs, but...they do it too often. Too often.

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Reminds me of this:

Main character asks his IT friend to hack into a system (I forgot why).
MC: Aww come on, hurry up!
IT guy: Hey, you can't hack into something with one click! *presses a button* ...okay, I'm in.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Reminds me of this:

Main character asks his IT friend to hack into a system (I forgot why).
MC: Aww come on, hurry up!
IT guy: Hey, you can't hack into something with one click! *presses a button* ...okay, I'm in.
LOL. I hope the movie was sarcastic, although...

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I've spent my entire life working with computers and yet I don't know what's the green window called where every line of code appears green...I've too so much to learn, and I've a M.S in computer science...not to mention I've read fifty books about computer science, excluding my text books in high school.

That would be in most cases a reference to the green phosphor displays that were associated with early computers, the ones that use phosphor P1 :) It became the symbol of computer culture in the mid 80s being by far the most popular phosphor compared to amber or white and of course, nowadays, despite the fact that most of us use the Windows Console or Linux console with page white text, they still change the font to green because it looks more 'technical'.

If you notice "ghosting" (sort of shadowy trails on text), then the film screen is trying to simulate the original monochrome monitors (which suffered heavily from this), if not, it's probably some props guy/girl who's knowledge of computers stops at changing the page background color on Microsoft Word.

Reactions: avast! Protection

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
That would be in most cases a reference to the green phosphor displays that were associated with early computers, the ones that use phosphor P1 :) It became the symbol of computer culture in the mid 80s being by far the most popular phosphor compared to amber or white and of course, nowadays, despite the fact that most of us use the Windows Console or Linux console with page white text, they still change the font to green because it looks more 'technical'.

If you notice "ghosting" (sort of shadowy trails on text), then the film screen is trying to simulate the original monochrome monitors (which suffered heavily from this), if not, it's probably some props guy/girl who's knowledge of computers stops at changing the page background color on Microsoft Word.
I viewed it a long time ago at Kaspersky/ESET/Malwarebytes or either Emsisoft blog. It was Assembly code, the blogger was reverse-engineering a malware. Dah, only if I could get the picture.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I get a heart attacking just attempting to understand this...
tumblr_n8pufsbFa51tognpro1_1280.png

To whoever wrote this code : Never, ever write any code or I shall Fus Ro Dah you off a cliff.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
What is freaking hexval...
Oh...HEX VALUE....
And why is buff spammed?
I hate C.
C++ for the win...

Not particularly difficult to understand. That style of obfuscation is fairly friendly compared with system.reflection :) Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that code C++ not C ?

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Not particularly difficult to understand. That style of obfuscation is fairly friendly compared with system.reflection :) Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that code C++ not C ?
Nope. It is not in C++. Or if it is, the author is a really, really, really bad programmer that should be murdered to avoid further confusion. I still have never used System.reflection, but I think it is a rather complex affair.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Nope. It is not in C++. Or if it is, the author is a really, really, really bad programmer that should be murdered to avoid further confusion. I still have never used System.reflection, but I think it is a rather complex affair.

:oops: No idea why I thought it was C++ ... If it was C++ I wouldn't have a clue what half of it did :p The formatting is certainly a mess and I can imagine some of the stricter compilers might spit half of it back out in that state!

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
:oops: No idea why I thought it was C++ ... If it was C++ I wouldn't have a clue what half of it did :p The formatting is certainly a mess and I can imagine some of the stricter compilers might spit half of it back out in that state!
C++ or not, this code gives me headache whenever I start looking at it. I only understand the == operator...

Reactions: dbz and Cowpipe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.