Why I use avast! and why I think you should use avast!

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date

Which avast! do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Why I use avast! and why I think you should use it:

1.) Very lightweight in RAM and CPU usage
2.) Excellent Signatures
3.) DeepScreen is a feature in avast! which scans heuristically files that are rarely downloaded and or not on the signatures
4.) Blocks malicious website AND file before you can even download it
5.) The free version is ENOUGH essential protection
6.) Compatible with most Anti-Exploits and Anti-Malwares that you run along-side it
7.) Silent/Gaming mode for you guys who want not to be disturbed but still protected whilst gaming or simply wanting peace
8.) Reasonable prices for premium products
9.) Many features
10.) Choose what actions are taken in what scenario

Please look at the files attatched

Attachments

• actvprotec.PNG
    actvprotec.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 483
  • toolsavst.PNG
    toolsavst.PNG
    34 KB · Views: 426

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Frankly I use Avast IS 2016 because they gave me a free license.I have not used it in a very long time so with the release of version 2016 I decided to try it.So far so good on hardened mode Moderate

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Is Secure Virtual Machine working now? Did it do something to your computer already?

Reactions: kev216 and Kent

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Why I don't use avast:

1) As default it's bloated
2) on my last test "DeepScreen" is useless
3) Hips module need to improve
4) Web plugin have adds in the past
5) do you know we have premium product? you can pay, pay pls payy pay mm pay men
6) Not rly great signatures in a real scenario
7) You need an account

mostafa96

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 2, 2015
the only thing that prevent me from using it is that NG doesn't work on windows 10 till now wahich i think it's the best module is avast + it's bloated can be ignored by custom install

Reactions: kev216

aseu2k15

Level 1
Verified
Nov 26, 2015
On 2012 to 2013 I am an avast! free user, but more program update I think avast! become bloated. So, I uninstall it to find more simpler and lighter one.
And...
5) do you know we have premium product? you can pay, pay pls payy pay mm pay men
This one :D This is really annoying to me.

But I can admit, avast! is one of the top AV on the market :)

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
the only thing that prevent me from using it is that NG doesn't work on windows 10 till now wahich i think it's the best module is avast + it's bloated can be ignored by custom install
NG = Secure Virtual Machine
According to @Secondmineboy above and others, it is already working.

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
I use the free version because I don't have Avast IS license yet.
As a novice user, when I decided Microsoft security essential wasn't enough, I searched for the AV vendor with the biggest market share Antivirus and Compromised Device Report: January 2015. As superficial as this sounds, "name recognition" meant it was a safe bet.
And after trying Avast free for 3 or 4 months, and spending 2 months on MT learning about Avast and other AVs, I can safely say Avast free is one of the best free options. Most reviews put it in the same league with Avira free, Panda free cloud and Bitdefender free as the best free AV. I believe Avast free has a clear edge over Avira free, Panda cloud and Bitdefender free. Among free options, only Qihoo 360 may have superior technical features.

Reactions: kev216 and XhenEd

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have Avast Premier,Its not hard to find bargin pricing on E-Bay,I really like the tweaks,Its a bullet proof program,I think you can't go wrong,2 years for 3computers,9dollars and 27 cents.Just landed it gl all

Last edited:
Reactions: kev216 and Davidov

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Used Avast! Free for about a week and then removed and back to CIS. Avast! is a good and nice program. User-friendly. Quite light on resources as well. I removed it because I got used to CIS pop-up after "dating" for close to one mth. Avast! Free nth much to explore for me.

Used Avast! Mobile as well. Din like it cuz alot of separate apps to be installed.

KokoKid

Level 4
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
I absolutely LOVE avast! Premier

I got it for around 60~70% off, which means I only paid 40 bucks :)

I am currently using Avast Hardened Mode, Agressive. TBH if you don't have hardened mode you're unprotected IMO.
Interface is great, interaction is nice, the only problem are the advertisments that promote other products non-security related. Just right now I got a popup from avast! saying that we found 40 issues with your PC, download avast! cleaner now!

VERY low on resources. Malwarebytes uses around 100,000k ~ 200,000k (right now it says 165MB) Memory usage, avast! uses only 20,000 max. That's around a tenth of malwarebytes! Really light.

Would recommend. Will probobly try Comondo Internet Security after my 1 year license expires :)

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Why I don't use avast:

7) You need an account
1) Does "bloated" really matters if ,like some have stated, the product is still light?
3) Do you mean the default hips setting? Because I think you can improve it by changing some settings. Though I haven't much experience with the HIPS in Avast. If recall correctly, I think the HIPS is in the lowest setting.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I absolutely LOVE avast! Premier

I got it for around 60~70% off, which means I only paid 40 bucks :)

I am currently using Avast Hardened Mode, Agressive. TBH if you don't have hardened mode you're unprotected IMO.
Interface is great, interaction is nice, the only problem are the advertisments that promote other products non-security related. Just right now I got a popup from avast! saying that we found 40 issues with your PC, download avast! cleaner now!

VERY low on resources. Malwarebytes uses around 100,000k ~ 200,000k (right now it says 165MB) Memory usage, avast! uses only 20,000 max. That's around a tenth of malwarebytes! Really light.

Would recommend. Will probobly try Comondo Internet Security after my 1 year license expires :)

I don't understand why people consider RAM usage as SYSTEM impact.

System IMPACT has also CPU Usage, how many times the disk read write is there. And believe me these two has the most impact specially when you are not on SSD.

If you have enough RAM then if the Antivirus is using more ram it has minimum impact. Imagine it need to check against some signature which is not loaded in RAM. That means it need to go to harddisk and do the check. When it accesses the Harddisk it creates a huge impact.

Also Hardened mode aggressive means you are just putting default denial. So you try to install any unknown software it will block it whether it's good or bad does not matter. If you think blocking all means the best security then just don't install anything new.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I totally agree with @Anupam one of the main reasons I left Symantec in the past was due to it using to much disk. In the present, I haven't had any issues with ESET and Kaspersky, both perform great on performance; my computer boots so fast and it is not running on an SSD. I have tons of software that uses more RAM than Kaspersky and ESET together, so that's not something to worry about in my case, I even run my Pale Moon inside a RAMDISK, same with my user TEMP files. Both Kaspersky and ESET have 0,0 to 0,1 CPU usage which is nothing to be honest. DISK and CPU usages should be always low if you mind running any AV with nice performance. If you are not on the 512MB/1024MB/2048MB RAM life, 100MB of RAM usage is a very reasonable number.

KokoKid

Level 4
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
I don't understand why people consider RAM usage as SYSTEM impact.

System IMPACT has also CPU Usage, how many times the disk read write is there. And believe me these two has the most impact specially when you are not on SSD.

If you have enough RAM then if the Antivirus is using more ram it has minimum impact. Imagine it need to check against some signature which is not loaded in RAM. That means it need to go to harddisk and do the check. When it accesses the Harddisk it creates a huge impact.

Also Hardened mode aggressive means you are just putting default denial. So you try to install any unknown software it will block it whether it's good or bad does not matter. If you think blocking all means the best security then just don't install anything new.
I've ran programs in hardended mode :) I install several programs every week :)

I never realized that ram and system impact are not the same thing, thank you ;)

Reactions: kev216 and Anupam
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Frankly I use Avast IS 2016 because they gave me a free license.

This is a major reason :D

RmG152 said:
Why I don't use avast:

7) You need an account

those are good reason too :D

now my reason:

few years ago Avast was that :

lccZ6Zj.png

i installed it on a friend's spare computer and we had a new version of sub7 (one of the first RAT) ; avast missed it so i said bye bye. :D

Later, i tried a newer version (maybe v7 or v8), lot of cool features but way too inter-dependent, disable one, many others don't work anymore. so i said bye bye again... :D

i didn't tried the latest one, since i don't like to use "free version" but rather full featured ones (premier in that case), but i dont have the license and i will not pay for it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.