Why Illegal Downloads Aren’t Worth It In The Long Run

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
It’s never been easier to access free media online. However, if you download free software from illegitimate sources, it may not be worth it in the long run.
Illegal downloads have proliferated since the internet moved from dial-up to higher speed broadband. However, if you download free software or media from illegitimate sources, it may not be worth it in the long run.

With popular shows such as Game of Thrones clocking-up record numbers of illegal downloads as people rush to avoid spoilers which may arise from the release disparity between the UK and the US, pirating has never been more prevalent than it is right now. And it’s not just TV shows, of course – illegal copies of video games, music, films, and computer software are all available to download from thousands of locations around the internet.

However, before you reach for that download button, there are some things you may not have considered when it comes to illegal copies of your favourite media.

GOT clocked-up record numbers of illegal downloads as people rushed to avoid spoilers. (Image source: HBO.com)

Security
When you download free software from an illegitimate source, you have no idea what’s coming along for the ride. Malware can use the permissions you grant when installing dodgy software to circumvent your antivirus software and infect your computer.

From there, you can have your identity stolen, or your computer and files held to ransom. To compound the issue, you will have absolutely no come-back against, or assistance from, the producer of the software.

On top of this, there’s no way of knowing if the software will function as it’s supposed to. The leaked version may be an early alpha or beta build, and may be missing bug fixes and features which are present in the finished version. In addition, there will be no ongoing support for the product from developers, meaning that security will continue to be a growing concern as time goes on.

The Cost to the Producer
There’s a school of thought – a thread of fundamentalist libertarianism, if you’re interested – which advocates that all ideas and artistic creation should be available to everyone for free, and that IP protection and copyright laws stifle inspiration and creativity.

While this is a noble ideal, the thought that an artist, filmmaker, or software developer doesn’t deserve to be remunerated for their product in the same way a shoemaker or baker does is nothing short of preposterous. People who subscribe to this way of thinking are essentially suggesting that anyone creating these sorts of works should just do it for the love, and presumably work a second “real” job to earn money to pay their bills.

Whether developing software or making music – people deserve to be paid for their work, and illegal downloads deny them that.

Final Thoughts
Whether you are heading online to download free software, movies, video games or music illegally, there are a ton of risks which come with it – from security concerns, such as ransomware or spyware, and defective functionality, to depriving the creators payment for their work. Illegal downloads may not have a monetary value, but that doesn’t mean there’s no cost attached.

And don’t forget that illegal downloads, as the name clearly explicates, are illegal – and, while prosecutions are relatively rare, they do occur, and can carry steep penalties.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I don't illegally download software and games anymore. What I have are free, giveaway/promo products and few software that I actually buy. I do however download many movies, shows from torrents. Because I'm poor thats why, geo restriction is mostly an excuse because there's VPNs. :whistle::censored: I do feel bad however, I hope I get richer someday and I won't have to illegally download. :X3:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I do however download many movies, shows from torrents.

One example:
Google Play Movies occasionally have 99p movie rentals. Sign up to Play Store newsletters.
Visit play.google.com/settings
upload_2018-3-16_19-29-10.png
There's currently 75% OFF select Movies rentals.
Code:
https://play.google.com/store/movies/collection/p3_details_03248495761652179530_5297958180
Valid in US, CA, AU, JP, KR, DE, FR and GB.
upload_2018-3-16_19-25-17.png

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
One example:
Google Play Movies occasionally have 99p movie rentals. Sign up to Play Store newsletters.
There's currently 75% OFF select Movies rentals.
Code:
https://play.google.com/store/movies/collection/p3_details_03248495761652179530_5297958180
Valid in US, CA, AU, JP, KR, DE, FR and GB.
View attachment 182535
Thanks Spawn. Looks like cheap enough for me. For now.

Reactions: harlan4096

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Blah! Piracy is priced in these days. I pay an extreme $16-18 for a 2D movie at crappy AMC. Why? Because they already baked in what they will lose from piracy. Plus these movies are subsidized using my state taxes (California) and I don't ever see the money flowing back to me... I'm good. The universe is always aiming for a balance. If movies, software, games, shows were accessible at a reasonable price, there would be no demand for this.

The truth is I already pay for services that allow me to access the same damn movie/TV show legally (U-verse, Netflix, Prime & DirecTV). But I have to sit through commercials and download some phony proprietary anti-piracy DRM software and be subjected to a ridiculous amount of tracking on those websites and by the time the movie finally finished buffering I'm greeted by that FBI warning even though all I do is perfectly legal. How disrespectful. Meanwhile, one click on some shady Russian site or an open-source streaming program that was named after a movie snack and I can watch the movie immediately at whatever resolution I want. My point is not that piracy is okay. My point is that the software and delivery methods pirates provide are FAR FAR more sophisticated, more advanced and more catered to consumers enjoying them. The delivery methods legal distributors provide are not concerned about customer experience but rather designed to ensure that there is no way that people can pirate the material and that often leads to an inferior experience.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.