Advice Request Why I'm wondering NOT installing KSC-free

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JeanCraie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
On my first thread i was asking which antivirus to install : i got a wide majority of Kaspersky answers.

But making little research outside of this forum, i stumbled on very worrying informations:

Ghacks said:
Kaspersky Security Cloud Free requires registration and enables remote management of connected devices automatically. Users who dislike the functionality may select Free Antivirus instead which comes without it.
[...] Secure Connection is a VPN service that users of the software may connect to. The free version is good for 200 Megabytes of data per day and lacks paid options such as the selection of regions to connect.
[...]Features such as privacy protection, a built-in firewall, family sharing, kids protection, or safe money are reserved for paying customers.

To start with something, for sure, i never used any type of cloud tech ever in my life, and this will remain like this for a few more years. For me that's completely useless in my personal everyday habits.

1- Can anobody give me practical reason for "remote management" ? (I'm just using my computer and bluetoothing audios, and that's it.)

2-people replying on my thread never mentioned there were no firewall on the free version, and even less mentioned it is not compatible to ZA. Can i at least install Comodo Firewall ? (os armor alone doesnt seem to be satisfying enough without firewall)

- Without the need of remote management nor cloud, what are the advantages of K. Cloud Free vs K. Antivirus Free ?
3- what backgound processes are useful to disable in K. Cloud Free, and on which circumstances it becomes interesting to disable them?
4- What are the other advantages that K. Cloud Free has compared to K. Antivirus Free ? (faster updates maybe, butt what else?)

I really dont need to have Kaspersky being permanently connected to my laptop for no reason, and the others complaints of KSN users reporting gigabytes of data being uploaded dont seem very optimistic....

And no, i JUST dont want avira nor avast.
For sure, i really like the fact Kaspersky would protect you from the @#$#%$$^ the two latter mentioned wont detect. But why KCF comes bloated with useless functions and lacking important features is worrying me as well.

Thanks for your attention :)

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
1.- Cloud management it's optional, it can be done via "My Kaspersky" service: My Kaspersky, You still have direct management via KSCF GUI.

2.- Yes, free version uses Windows FireWall, but some users go to combos with Comodo FireWall without issues, installing Kaspersky 1st... and then making exclusions.

In KSCFree You can still tweak main protection modules, in KFA You can't.

3.- You may disable in Performance: Idle & RootKits scan. Other users disable also browser script injection.

4.- Same updates schedule and av engine.

It's true that KSCF has a few extra features compared to KFA, but I think They are not so bloated, in essence, are the same, but in KSCFYou can tweak and need a registration in "My Kaspersky" (up to 3 free assigned to the same account I think...)

Great combos:
  • KSCF + NVT OSA
  • KSCF + VoodooShield
  • KSCF + NVT OSA + VoodooShiel (a bit paranoid :) )

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Unless you really need to monitor and control outbound connections for some reason a third party firewall isn’t quite necessary. Some people prefer to, as it can offer post infection protection, but a lot of times the cost benefit for an average user isn’t worth it.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
To start with something, for sure, i never used any type of cloud tech ever in my life, and this will remain like this for a few more years.
Do not worry, you still won't. Kaspersky merely uses the name cloud, but it is far from it. The cloud version essentially means, that you can change all settings, unlike in Free version, but you have to pay with telemetry. Besides, the registration can be tedious, it took me 3 attempts, till I succeeded.

I really dont need to have Kaspersky being permanently connected to my laptop for no reason, and the others complaints of KSN users reporting gigabytes of data being uploaded dont seem very optimistic....
KSN is actually the only real cloud protection it offers and by disabling it, you will loose the ability to be protected against zero day malware asap.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you feel more comfortable with Kaspersky Free Antivirus, use it. The protection is the same. You don't need a fancy firewall, it is often just a headache and not worth the minimal extra protection it provides. Windows firewall does the job.

JeanCraie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
Thanks fellas :)

That's helpful your answer Harlan,
But regarding,
1.- Cloud management it's optional, it can be done via "My Kaspersky" service: My Kaspersky, You still have direct management via KSCF GUI.
If i disable Cloud management, there wont be remote control then if i understand it well?
Do i lose any protection potential (i mean appart from KSN) ?

KSN is actually the only real cloud protection it offers and by disabling it, you will loose the ability to be protected against zero day malware asap.
How long does it take for Kaspersky to update Zero-day findings into it's Cloud Free database? Anyway i may want to disable ksn, particularly on days when i'll be using some mobile data plans or limited vpn, supposing i use KSN which is not too likely :D
Apart from public wifi spot man in the middle situations, i dont see any likely realistic situations where zero-day exploits are at stake. That's actully in the same type of thing that "are you attracting mosquitoes" existential questions ahah.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
If i disable Cloud management, there wont be remote control then if i understand it well?
Do i lose any protection potential (i mean appart from KSN) ?
We can say here that You "can't disable that remote control", for the mere fact of needing account registration in "My Kaspersky" also, You have that feature there, if You don't want it, just don't use it...

The default automatic schedule of signatures if every 2 hours, but it's difficult to say about Zero-Day threats in KSN, since every few minutes Your Kaspersky is syncing with the cloud, so sometimes only a few minutes, few hours, depending on the threats... KSN is one of the powerful layers of Kaspersky protection, if You disable it You will reduce Your protection...

JeanCraie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
We can say here that You "can't disable that remote control", for the mere fact of needing account registration in "My Kaspersky" also, You have that feature there, if You don't want it, just don't use it...

The default automatic schedule of signatures if every 2 hours, but it's difficult to say about Zero-Day threats in KSN, since every few minutes Your Kaspersky is syncing with the cloud, so sometimes only a few minutes, few hours, depending on the threats... KSN is one of the powerful layers of Kaspersky protection, if You disable it You will reduce Your protection...
I'll require that sort of protection depends how where and when lol. So no bandwidth messing for me at the moment.

I also found some "KSCF vs KFA" convos on some video comments sections:
Computer Solutions
As of now it's a catch 22, Kaspersky free cloud has a slight higher detection rate then Kaspersky free. But scored lower than Kaspersky free when it came to detecting "Phishing URLs", the reason for this is unknown. For now stick with Kaspersky free cloud and add an additional Web Protection browser extension to solve the problem with phishing links.

Khoa
Kaspersky is extremely good at everything except PUPs and adwares, which is a known issue for years despite all tweaking. PCs protected by KIS are very frequently full of chinese adawares and toolbars but no dangerous malwares => need extra protection for PUPs such as using Windows defender browser protection (extension), emsisoft browser protection or unchecky

Danny
The whole KSC is cloud-based, so you will have to accept, that you can't really do anything to keep your privacy (Where in Kaspersky Free AV you can decide wether or not you want to share data)

Khoa
Kaspersky free DOES NOT allow modification of the settings (very few settings can be changed) while KSCF allows changes to almost every option. In other words, KSCF is kaspersky antivirus (paid) without safemoney (banking protection) KSCF requires an account to function. Kaspersky free doesn't require an account clearly, KSCF >>>> KFA

Danny
Yeah but KSCF will not allow you to opt-out of the data collection as easily as KFA

Khoa
true, but the European version allows it afaik. It's a trade-off :D

How does this opt-out work for the European version? does this exist by the way?

Last edited:

JeanCraie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
Between CF and NVT OSA, which is better?.

CF is a nightmare at uninstalling whenever you need to major update your system. to answer your question: would go instead for OSA.

Some config proposal:

A) paranoid: Kaspersky+OS+VS
(regarding VS, but the latter got a bit too much false positives and bumping notifications)
bear in mind one is anti-exec, other one is post-exploit.

B) for less worrying about configs, may i suggest :
Kasperksy (av only or cloud, not decided yet) + OSA + Malwarebytes' WindowsFirewallControl ?

C) if you dont mind anoying uninstalling, or not updating to future major release:
Kaspersky + Cruel CF, and that's it.

And back to my latest question:
Does the EU version of KSCF allow you to opt-out of the data collection (GRPS and marketing only, at least, any guess?)

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
OSA is really a companion software to improve script protection, it is not a full default-deny setup (unless you tweak it heavily). Comodo Firewall is built to provide default-deny protection.
Everybody could tell you their personal preference. I prefer OSA and safe, simple, habits...and crossed fingers. Depends if you have the energy to set up and use default deny.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.