Advice Request Why is there no 2FA on Bitdefender Central?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Would you like to see 2FA or other security meassures?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darlene

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 14, 2015
I wonder why there is no 2FA (mobile authentication or hardware tokes) or other extra security measures build into Bitdefender Central.

With extra security measures I mean:

- A log section for every login attempt (information about location/IP, browser type and version, ...)
- Notifications for suspicious login activities
- Some sort of lock-down mode

If your password get compromised (simply a keylogger), the person could wipe all data remotely form all the devices associated with the bitdefender account trough the anti-theft feature.

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
But no keylogger has a chance because you're using BitDefender! :D
Okay, serious now: Kaspersky and Emsisoft does it on the same way: simple login with e-mail adress and password. I will contact Emsisoft and Kaspersky for improving the login.

edit: a two-step-verification would be a nice one. enter your e-mail + password at login section and after clicking on "Login" you need to click on two of five or six numbers of your security-key generated in bd central. Like this one, shown on the screen below.
dibakey_eingeben.png

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yeah i noticed that also but someone here advised me to use a gmail,outlook or Facebook account for Bitdefender so i can have 2 step authentication. You might want to do that.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Kind of ironic isn't it linking crap like FB to access a Cadillac like Bitdefender ;)
makes me scratch my head.

Reactions: Darlene and SHvFl

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I wonder why there is no 2FA (mobile authentication or hardware tokes) or other extra security measures build into Bitdefender Central.

With extra security measures I mean:

- A log section for every login attempt (information about location/IP, browser type and version, ...)
- Notifications for suspicious login activities
- Some sort of lock-down mode

If your password get compromised (simply a keylogger), the person could wipe all data remotely form all the devices associated with the bitdefender account trough the anti-theft feature.

Well, if you installed BD and you login into BD Central and some form of malware compromise your PW, that simply shows no-confidence vote to BD software. If thats the case then why should we even buy BD when BD can't even protect you :D:D.

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I don't use BitDefender (anymore), but having an option to enable 2FA should be on every site possible.
Two layers of security is better than one, especially if it's as simple as putting in a 6-digit code every now and again when you login.

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
Yeah i noticed that also but someone here advised me to use a gmail,outlook or Facebook account for Bitdefender so i can have 2 step authentication. You might want to do that.
It was me. :D

On a further note... I think its because that these companies themselves may believe there's no need for two-Factor Authentication. If there's a Password Manager (as is the case in Kaspersky and BitDefender), having a long-enough password would help. If for whatever reasons you don't have the Password Manager it's your loss...supposedly. And they are that confident that their systems won't be compromised. Maybe it's an open invitation for hackers to attempt to access the Password Database, and the Security Researchers understand what the hackers do, and how they do it.

Or it's just something that's too technical, costly and complicated for these companies to incorporate at the present time. Similar to why Banks don't? Maybe there's some technical problems at their end that prevent it?

Every website that has a login, must put reasonable effort for having 2Factor Authentication. I'm glad @MalwareTips does... I hope Two Factor Authentication becomes a standard procedure in the near future.

Darlene

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 14, 2015
The only official bitdefender response on this question is: twitter

In my opinion it does not make sense, if 2FA is optional, why would it slowdown the user experience?

The 2FA discussion is on the bitdefender forum for quite a while, but no response so far.

@FrankS Let me know what the response form emsisoft and kaspersky was :p

Last edited:

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Emsisoft will not add 2FA. If my serial number is stolen, Emsisoft generates a new one for me and will delete the stolen one. :D
I contacted the Kaspersky-Support before two minutes.

Reactions: Darlene

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Kaspersky responded with the standard procedure: The Kaspersky customer service has forwarded that improvement to Russia.

Reactions: Darlene

orphyone

Level 1
Verified
May 11, 2017
Every website that has a login, must put reasonable effort for having 2Factor Authentication. I'm glad @MalwareTips does... I hope Two Factor Authentication becomes a standard procedure in the near future.
I know this old post but for Payment Card Industry (PCI) DSS 3.2 requires MFA now, I believe they are getting around this requirement by using Avantgate for Payment processing perhaps? Regardless, it's 2018 (greeting from the future!) and still nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.