Why so many Bitdefender license giveaways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
illumination said:
Malware Man said:
illumination said:
Jack said:
Malware Man said:
I'm lucky enough to have won one of them and am now using Bitdefender instead of CIS.
It's just the PR department over at Bitdefender doing their job. 20, 30 or 100 keys is not that much for a big company like Bitdefender.
I guess, you can join a sweepstakes and win a key.

PS: Comodo Internet Security is better than Bitdefender!

I have to agree with the last "PS" statement Jack..

I wonder if BD still uses Virtual Box to secure its web browser "safe browsing", i was turned off by the use of a 3rd party app, not to mention the bugs, and Fp's that as mentioned before, BD has a bad habit of deleting, leaving you missing safe files.. I understand a user can go into AV settings and switch the actions of the scanner to quarantine, but most average users will not, the will leave default settings..

Then of course there was the whole Dash Board incident that literally turned me off by the the way the BD company handled the problem, telling customers we apologize for the "encounters" you are having of signing into someone else's credentials, allowing you to see and take someone else info..

this was pretty serious, and instead of taking the servers off line, they left it up and running until they managed a fix... This is not a company i would want to trust to secure my system, just personal opinion...
Oh dear, that does not sound very good at all. I have heard a lot of bad things about Bitdefender, I am just wondering why they are rated number one if so many people have problems with them and saying it sucks. I just don't get it. Kaspersky is rated number two but I really think it's a lot better then Bitdefender, i'd take it any over it. But I am giving Bitdefender my best shot. It's not like I paid for it, so I have nothing to lose. I have a feeling I will not be keeping it for a whole year. It's scanning speed is outrageously slow.

It really depends on where you are seeing Bitdefender is rated number 1, there are many discussions on this whole rating system in this forum, and the opinions of most members on this.. Bitdefender AV has high detection rates, there is no doubt, but the other issues are what turn me away from it..

Well people on here told me about the whole toptenreviews site. Apparently the vendors pay to get rated high and the vendor that pays the most get's first place. So since Bitdefender is first place on that site they most of paid a fortune to be put number one. So I don't believe nothing on that site anymore. Don't even go there anymore haha. I believe there is another site that rates Bitdefender number one and that is AV comparatives? Correct me if I am wrong. I do know they are rated pretty high on it, if not first. I don't know what other sites that compare antiviruses there are.

I

illumination

Malware Man said:
illumination said:
Malware Man said:
illumination said:
Jack said:
It's just the PR department over at Bitdefender doing their job. 20, 30 or 100 keys is not that much for a big company like Bitdefender.
I guess, you can join a sweepstakes and win a key.

PS: Comodo Internet Security is better than Bitdefender!

I wonder if BD still uses Virtual Box to secure its web browser "safe browsing", i was turned off by the use of a 3rd party app, not to mention the bugs, and Fp's that as mentioned before, BD has a bad habit of deleting, leaving you missing safe files.. I understand a user can go into AV settings and switch the actions of the scanner to quarantine, but most average users will not, the will leave default settings..

Then of course there was the whole Dash Board incident that literally turned me off by the the way the BD company handled the problem, telling customers we apologize for the "encounters" you are having of signing into someone else's credentials, allowing you to see and take someone else info..

this was pretty serious, and instead of taking the servers off line, they left it up and running until they managed a fix... This is not a company i would want to trust to secure my system, just personal opinion...
Oh dear, that does not sound very good at all. I have heard a lot of bad things about Bitdefender, I am just wondering why they are rated number one if so many people have problems with them and saying it sucks. I just don't get it. Kaspersky is rated number two but I really think it's a lot better then Bitdefender, i'd take it any over it. But I am giving Bitdefender my best shot. It's not like I paid for it, so I have nothing to lose. I have a feeling I will not be keeping it for a whole year. It's scanning speed is outrageously slow.

It really depends on where you are seeing Bitdefender is rated number 1, there are many discussions on this whole rating system in this forum, and the opinions of most members on this.. Bitdefender AV has high detection rates, there is no doubt, but the other issues are what turn me away from it..

Well people on here told me about the whole toptenreviews site. Apparently the vendors pay to get rated high and the vendor that pays the most get's first place. So since Bitdefender is first place on that site they most of paid a fortune to be put number one. So I don't believe nothing on that site anymore. Don't even go there anymore haha. I believe there is another site that rates Bitdefender number one and that is AV comparatives? Correct me if I am wrong. I do know they are rated pretty high on it, if not first. I don't know what other sites that compare antiviruses there are.

There are a few, but consensus of this subject has proven most here do not depend on the finding of these sites.. I would like to add, that with Bitdefender, it is my personal opinion of them, and one should take with a grain of salt, it is always best to try solutions out for yourself, instead of depending on reviews and personal opinions.. I will how ever lead you towards a thread to read.

Bitdefender Dashboard Bugs

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
illumination said:
Malware Man said:
illumination said:
Malware Man said:
illumination said:

There are a few, but consensus of this subject has proven most here do not depend on the finding of these sites.. I would like to add, that with Bitdefender, it is my personal opinion of them, and one should take with a grain of salt, it is always best to try solutions out for yourself, instead of depending on reviews and personal opinions.. I will how ever lead you towards a thread to read.

Thank you, I will check out that thread. I don't trust those sites either. I have tried out almost every suite listed on them. My favorites are CIS & KIS. So I don't care what places they are in. I will rank them with my opinions. I like testing them out myself. :)

I

illumination

Malware Man said:
illumination said:
Malware Man said:
illumination said:
Malware Man said:

Thank you, I will check out that thread. I don't trust those sites either. I have tried out almost every suite listed on them. My favorites are CIS & KIS. So I don't care what places they are in. I will rank them with my opinions. I like testing them out myself. :)

That is the best way :)

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
illumination said:
Malware Man said:
illumination said:
Malware Man said:
illumination said:

That is the best way :)
Considering I have tried out a lot of them and watch reviews on them to. I've seen video reviewers give Kaspersky a terrible rating, but I would give it a good rating. It's been then Bitdefender IMO. Those Russians are very good with viruses. ;)

D

Deleted member 178

What is funny , is that Emsisoft (with BD engine as 2nd engine) perform better than BD in term of responsiveness (and of course detection); not to say that few testing labs include them in their tests. weird...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Dashke said:
BitDefender has good detection, I agree with that. But I think that they don't have so many users so they are selling software for a few dollars so they gain customers. Although, they are getting a lot of money for re-branding and renting engine.

I believe what keeps BitDefender going on revenue is their re-branding and renting engine. You can check just about any security forum and users are complaining about all of the bugs in their products. The free license giveaways are not helping them since many users will simply uninstall their products and not even use the full license subscriptions before they expire.

It didn't take me long to uninstall BitDefender after it started automatically deleting my safe file without any warnings. Thank goodness I had backups on external drive. The false positives are ridiculous especially when it detects digitally signed files by trusted vendors.

Thanks.:D

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Littlebits said:
Dashke said:
BitDefender has good detection, I agree with that. But I think that they don't have so many users so they are selling software for a few dollars so they gain customers. Although, they are getting a lot of money for re-branding and renting engine.

I believe what keeps BitDefender going on revenue is their re-branding and renting engine. You can check just about any security forum and users are complaining about all of the bugs in their products. The free license giveaways are not helping them since many users will simply uninstall their products and not even use the full license subscriptions before they expire.

It didn't take me long to uninstall BitDefender after it started automatically deleting my safe file without any warnings. That goodness I had backups on external drive. The false positives are ridiculous especially when it detects digitally signed files by trusted vendors.

I'm thinking about uninstalling it. I feel safer with CIS. At this point if anyone wants my key I'd probably give it to them because I don't think I will be keeping it for a whole year. I still have 364 days left and it already blocked my connection on me a couple times. Maybe someone out there who really wants Bitdefender for whatever reason can have it, lol

D

Deleted member 178

Malware Man said:
- Maybe someone out there who really wants Bitdefender for whatever reason can have it, lol
- I wonder if anyone is foolish enough to trade for Emsisoft? :lolz:

trading license in this forum is not allowed.

Thanks for your cooperation

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Malware Man said:
- Maybe someone out there who really wants Bitdefender for whatever reason can have it, lol
- I wonder if anyone is foolish enough to trade for Emsisoft? :lolz:

trading license in this forum is not allowed.

Thanks for your cooperation

I know that, I was just being sarcastic and joking. I know no one would that foolish to trade for a Emsisoft one anyways.

D

Deleted member 178

You know it but other visitors reading your post will think it is possible here.

ONT209

Level 1
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
Bitdefender only has maximum detection rates but there is nothing for Advanced Users.....disgusting silent security feature.

Also read this

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Antivirus-Selection-Guidelines

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
ONT209 said:
Bitdefender only has maximum detection rates but there is nothing for Advanced Users.....disgusting silent security feature.

Also read this

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Antivirus-Selection-Guidelines

Yeah, I installed it already. Lasted 2 days with it. I feel the dual engine antiviruses are so much better then Bitdefender (Gdata, Emsisoft, etc)

I will check that link out now, thanks! :)

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
Littlebits said:
Dashke said:

It didn't take me long to uninstall BitDefender after it started automatically deleting my safe file without any warnings. Thank goodness I had backups on external drive. The false positives are ridiculous especially when it detects digitally signed files by trusted vendors.

trouble here Littlebits is that there are probably millions of users out there that would not know that their new fandangled freebie security software is the source of their new woes, hopefully they all head over to MT and join up :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
softwareFREEk said:
trouble here Littlebits is that there are probably millions of users out there that would not know that their new fandangled freebie security software is the source of their new woes, hopefully they all head over to MT and join up :D

I believe you are exactly correct. I read a novice users post on another forum. He didn't have any known malware but he decided to try BitDefender because of the giveaway. He then goes on about all the infected files BitDefender finds and removes from his system. (Probably just false positives). Then he finds many of his files and programs are missing or corrupt and claims the infections must have did it. (no its was BitDefender). Then he says that the infections cause his system to run very slow and kept having random errors. To make the story short, he removed BitDefender and went back to his previous AV and all problems went away except for his deleted files were gone for good.

So it is true many users will never know what is causing their new problems and issues.

Enjoy!!:D

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I have heard a lot of bad things about Bitdefender, I am just wondering why they are rated number one if so many people have problems with them and saying it sucks. I just don't get it. I have a feeling I will not be keeping it for a whole year. It's scanning speed is outrageously slow.

They have a high rating maybe because of the excellent signatures and virus shield.

Scan speed might increase as a week or so goes by..., keep scanning to see if it speeds up!

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
They have a high rating maybe because of the excellent signatures and virus shield.

Scan speed might increase as a week or so goes by..., keep scanning to see if it speeds up!

Lol this was quite a long time ago. I don't bother with bitdefender now. I have HitmanPro with their engine anyways. My pop came to me yesterday with ransomware. Guess his lucky AV? It was bitdefender. He got sucked into buying it. I scanned with HitmanPro and it picked it up using the bitdefender engine but yet his bitdefender didn't pick it up. Not to mention his slow browsing speeds and sluggishness even after the malware was removed.

Excuse spelling errors, if any. I'm on my iPad and auto correct may act up ;]

Reactions: Abhishek Singha

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The answer for this question is already act by @Jack, its up to the strategic decision on how many keys will be given.

For the meantime, thread closed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.