Troubleshoot Why so many Chrome processes are running ?

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Too much Chrome processes running
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Close Chrome
Hello
I just noticed that there are 15 Chrome processes working, while I have only one page open on my browser.
I don't know if it could slow down my Internet navigation:unsure:
What can I do to correct this ?
Thanks
Chrome1.PNG

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Googled, then have first response:

"That's Chrome's sandbox in action.
Chrome runs some of its components as separate processes. There's one main process, a GPU renderer process and then (roughly) a single process for every tab, extension and plugin. (Actually, a few tabs can be run in a single process under certain circumstances.)
It's how Chrome's sandbox works. Sandboxing is a technique used to increase program's immunity against malicious actions of untrusted code (such as code of websites you're visiting). Running independent pieces of code in separate processes makes these pieces of code unable to affect Chrome's core, which is the most privileged part.
Extra processes don't necessarily use that much resources. Some of the memory is shared between them and dormant processes use negligible amount of CPU time. Nothing to worry about here."

Here: Why does Chrome has so many processes running, when I have just opened the application?

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I have 7 Chrome processes with 1 page open on Windows 10 Build 1803. Chrome version is
Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit)

It will take 5 pages on Chrome in order to have 15 Chrome processes in Task Manager.

Thanks @SumTingWong :)

Googled, then have first response:

"That's Chrome's sandbox in action.
Chrome runs some of its components as separate processes. There's one main process, a GPU renderer process and then (roughly) a single process for every tab, extension and plugin. (Actually, a few tabs can be run in a single process under certain circumstances.)
It's how Chrome's sandbox works. Sandboxing is a technique used to increase program's immunity against malicious actions of untrusted code (such as code of websites you're visiting). Running independent pieces of code in separate processes makes these pieces of code unable to affect Chrome's core, which is the most privileged part.
Extra processes don't necessarily use that much resources. Some of the memory is shared between them and dormant processes use negligible amount of CPU time. Nothing to worry about here."

Here: Why does Chrome has so many processes running, when I have just opened the application?

Thanks @Prorootect for your detailed technical explanations(y)

Press key combination Shift+Esc while in Chrome. It will open Chrome's task manager; then you can see for what each process stands for.
Thanks @Marko :) for this very helpful trick(y)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.