Advice Request Why so many people say to avoid Avast? What's the issue?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
To Fix in most cases the UI not loading, try a clean install with Avast Offline installer, 9 times out of 10 that solves that issue, Online installer sometimes doesn't download a file right it seems

Avast antivirus is light in performance part I do like

Ads not sure on

Scan speed nice and fast

Defender slower, takes ages to do full scan

not sure 100 percent if wanna stay with it

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
Did find something else out with Avast 19.1.2360, in other to have Behavior shield advanced threat protection need the following on for it to work, otherwise disabled it seems

Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analytics

Source Avast forum new version topic, 9th page

Reactions: JB007 and stefanos

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The "Failed to load GUI" was too common since the release of Win10 1709 I think, It was pretty common. That was the main reason I moved away from Avast. Even if the main protection of Avast might still be active but if end user can't open the GUI he/she will feel the system is not protected. It's just psychological/human nature.
2019 edition of Avast is super fast and I mean like Webroot/Eset fast, just try it. No issues so far on secondary system.
PS I don't select all the components while installing Avast. I don't install the web shield (slows down web considerably), software updater, wifi scanner, and other gimmicks.

Allan Fibecker

Mar 6, 2017
Maby have problem with telemetry . But is one very good antivirus, light, with strong protection
In my opinion, Avast Free, is the best freeware solution for MacBook. I don't know, if there're any workarounds to avoid the telemetry issue, which was my main reason to change from Windows to MacBook Pro Mojave. Way toi expensive, but I don't feel confident, when Microsoft keeps every keystroke on their own database. I don't get, how that is legal for paid software : /

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
If you go for free AV suites here is always going to be some goading from the company to get some cash out of you, many AV's don't offer a free version at all - There are good offers around for the pay version.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Doesn't mean you should willfully put another piece of software to mine data on you...
Their mobile app was awful when I last used it about a year ago. Way too many adverts for all sorts of things that had nothing to do with Avast. Also caused slowdowns. And it wouldn't matter what they did to make amends for past behaviour, they've lost my trust permanently. I will never use their products again.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.