Why the video memory increased when I upgraded from 2 to 4GB RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Few months ago, I upgraded my PC's RAM from 2 to 4GB. I was surprised to see the video memory increased from less than 900MB to 1696MB!

About my PC's RAM:
Two 2GB DDR3 1066Mhz RAM in two RAM slots.

Also my friend is a gamer, I recommended him to try this and it worked for him. The RAM Specifications is the same as mine.

Can I know why this happened?

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
You must have an video card that is integrated with your motherboard so they share RAM.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Heffed is right with integrated GPU's. You should be able to change how much memory dedicated for graphics in the BIOS.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
the more ram you have the more the IGP will be able to use. bigger amount of ram doesn't mean better performance. It won't use 1,65GB for the IGP.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
MetalShaun said:
Heffed is right with integrated GPU's. You should be able to change how much memory dedicated for graphics in the BIOS.

Only if the bios allows that. Windows ultimate gives you the possibility to change the amount of ram the IGP should use at free will. could you tell me what IGP you have Win

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
MetalShaun said:
Valentin N said:
MetalShaun said:

Only if the bios allows that.

I think thats a given.

okey. in the bios of my ex ex laptop I can see gpu but I can't change anything so it's not enough to see it in the bios if it doesn't allow you to do so.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
In WinAndLinuxTutorials' case the Bios automatically adjusts the amount of ram for the IGP based on the total amount of ram in the system. This is why you cannot change it yourself, it's designed to take a percentage of the ram for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.