Advice Request Why use Glasswire Free? Are there any advantages?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I want to know what advantages can Glasswire give me with Windows Frewall. I am using the free version but i am thinking this does not really improve the PC security . I like the graphic interface but maybe is superfluous. What do you think ?

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I want to know what advantages can Glasswire give me with Windows Frewall. I am using the free version but i am thinking this does not really improve the PC security . I like the graphic interface but maybe is superfluous. What do you think ?
I don't use Glasswire free anymore, I could not see how it improved security. It tells you what happened AFTER it happened, but you can't block anything in real time. I also found it very heavy on the system.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Tiny stopped working on my Windows 10 machine a year ago and is not being developed any longer. Tried Glasswire and Netlimiter 4 and settled for Fort Knox paid.

See Post #5. The installer on the dev's website is out of date so unable to use on 1709 and newer. The GitHub member in above link modified the installer and it works perfectly on 1803. Other members use it. Check out the site.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thanks oldschool, that was a good article and I will give that modified version a try. Anyone hear if he stopped developing Tiny?

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I am using glasswire and ilke the graphic interface because show me evvery thing happen, but i dont like have limited versions of anything. I have now windows firewall control by binisoft ¿Is this good or Tiny is better? i heard Free firewall are good. I really trust on windows FW but like some more graphic.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I am using glasswire and ilke the graphic interface because show me evvery thing happen, but i dont like have limited versions of anything. I have now windows firewall control by binisoft ¿Is this good or Tiny is better? i heard Free firewall are good. I really trust on windows FW but like some more graphic.

I have never used WFC but I understand you can only use without notifications unless you already had a user account. They are no longer available since Malwarebytes bought WFC, though it's still updated by the original dev.. Many people love it. All I can say is I love TW. It controls and hardens Windows Firewall. Easy to use, has learning mode and whitelisting can be done by various means. For a casual user like myself it is excellent as I am no PC geek.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Glasswire free is not a firewall. It is just a network traffic monitor that you can use in addition to the built-in Windows Firewall.

I use Glasswire Pro and am very happy with it. It makes setting rules a point and click experience, and the traffic monitoring lets you know what is going on and maybe helps you notice something you might otherwise miss. Nice dashboard!

Don't notice it impacting system performance in any way. But you may have a different experience if you are running a really old system. My PC is 4 years old, with Intel Core i3 (CPU Mark score in 42nd percentile), 8 GB RAM, and SSD drive.

Last edited:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Yes, the Free version is nice to look at but.... it adds nothing substantial to WF.

Yes I agree. Windows Firewall has a terrible UI for creating and editing rules manually. Very time consuming.

Glasswire Pro does all that for you! It's too bad that they discontinued the perpetual Pro license model, and went subscription only. Guess they needed money for development. It is a top notch product, and support is very responsive. But, in my opinion I think they are charging too much now. I'm glad I got it before they switched to subscriptions. Hopefully they will offer some deals again!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Firewall has a terrible UI for creating and editing rules manually. Very time consuming.
To my limited understanding -

It's not terrible, it was just never implemented for the modern OS users.​
Since Windows Vista (2007), Windows Firewall with Advanced Security interface relies on the Microsoft Management Console component from Windows 2000 (according to Wikipedia), so it never really had a consumer-friendly UI for anyone.​
The Windows Firewall status page in Control Panel is basic information, then again most of Windows Security in Windows 10 is install-and-forget.​
Average Windows users are simple-beings and won't use any complicated software *cough* EMET.​

Source: Scraped together from Bing searches.

In my opinion, GlassWire Free is just a fancy-UI network monitoring tool. Also available for Android, looks nice, but Skins cost money.

I've seen some using Update - Simplewall - A tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Thanks oldschool, that was a good article and I will give that modified version a try. Anyone hear if he stopped developing Tiny?

I emailed F. Dossena about TW: We both agree the dev appears to have dropped off the radar completely - not on any forums, etc. He could be dead but who knows? TW still functions fine on Windows 10 since MS hasn't really changed the FW in quite sometime. If they do then push will come to shove and back to CF I'll go.

Reactions: Weebarra

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
To my limited understanding -

It's not terrible, it was just never implemented for the modern OS users.​
Since Windows Vista (2007), Windows Firewall with Advanced Security interface relies on the Microsoft Management Console component from Windows 2000 (according to Wikipedia), so it never really had a consumer-friendly UI for anyone.​
The Windows Firewall status page in Control Panel is basic information, then again most of Windows Security in Windows 10 is install-and-forget.​
Average Windows users are simple-beings and won't use any complicated software *cough* EMET.​

Source: Scraped together from Bing searches.

In my opinion, GlassWire Free is just a fancy-UI network monitoring tool. Also available for Android, looks nice, but Skins cost money.

I've seen some using Update - Simplewall - A tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform

I used the Sphinx Windows 10 Firewall Control Windows 10 Firewall Control: Sphinx Software for several years, and found it be be a quite manageable front-end for the Windows Firewall. The free edition allows you to set outbound rules for applications, but not Windows system applications. That is how I learned to get under the hood in Windows Firewall and manually block a few chatty Windows processes. Only the paid products give you full control through the UI.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Any reason why not many users are using comodo firewall nowadays? I thought of switching back since it's seems to be very up to date

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Any reason why not many users are using comodo firewall nowadays? I thought of switching back since it's seems to be very up to date
Not everyone needs what is offered. Many stopped using after version 4 was released, myself included.

IMO, it's prime days have passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.