Why Windows Connects to Akamai CDN ?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Can anyone explain the technical infos as to why certain Windows processes connect to Akamai Content Delivery Network (CDN) ?

For example, Windows Explorer (file system - explorer.exe) and Settingsynchost.exe ?

I know blocking Windows Explorer from network access doesn't break anything - at least not that I can tell. Others I am not sure of as I haven't tested.

There is scant infos regarding Windows-Akamai CDN online other than Azure (which I don't use as I'm on W8.1 Home). Extensive web search turns up very little technical infos... and what infos there is turns out to be incorrect (on Wilders thread).

Any feedback on this topic would be great help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: harlan4096
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Akamai ? The official secret backdoor of the NSA ?

We know that gov agencies have private backdoor in Windows or other big softwares. May Akamai be one of them...?

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
the reason, well is a big mystery if someone can install a packet filter to route those connections will be fine, the only thing i know is that microsoft use akamaih to spread and deliver updates... but for explorer and other process i dont have any idea... may be they use their CDN for backend connections.. we all know that microsoft send info related to many stuff to their servers

H

hjlbx

Thread author
the reason, well is a big mystery if someone can install a packet filter to route those connections will be fine, the only thing i know is that microsoft use akamaih to spread and deliver updates... but for explorer and other process i dont have any idea...

@gricardo21

That's what I'm trying to figure out. For example, disable settings sync on W8.1, but Settingsynchost.exe keeps on connecting to Akamai.

Maybe Windows apps, Windows Error Reporting, all Telemtry, etc go via Akamai CDN. Not sure.

o_O

And I think @Umbra is trying to goad me into making a rant by mentioning Akamai = M$-Gov't backdoor... :D

Reactions: kiric96

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
go via Akamai CDN
yep, that is the only answer i can figure out, at least in windows 8/10 even if you disable some cloud services, they will remain there connected to akamaih but the traffic will be lower than before. one day i noticed that my pc was downloading (and eating my broadband) from akamaih domains after i terminate the connection an error in windows update just appeared

L

LabZero

Thread author
Akamai make a mirror copy of the content of the MS's server and saves various copies on several servers of its network. Although the URL remains the same, the user is automatically redirected to one of the Akamai servers, selected according to the type of files requested and the geographic location of the user.

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
One thing for sure that:

Akamai CDN is partner from many big companies like Microsoft to deliver the cloud platform which why its invisible to many users.

In the case from processes connect to Akamai, still an indefinite however according to FAQ of Akamai it just sends only the web content and none of any information from a user gathered.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
according to FAQ of Akamai it just sends only the web content and none of any information from a user gathered.

Thanks @jamescv7. I suspect what Akamai states is not entirely correct... maybe their FAQ answers are obsolete.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.