Why you don't need Avira Browser Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avira Browser Safety strong point is the detection capabilities taken from their labs but the rest of other features are quite unnecessary.

PUA is a very long story and definitely Avira itself may 'probably' influenced like Ask toolbar partnership way back before; unfortunately because of many criteria in terms of flagging that specific threat; hence it may considered biased/one sided.

I should agree on the article regarding on alternatives to ABS cause not only to provide strong protection but undisputed gathering of threats without any hesitation.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
ABS >>>> hphosts + adguard filters + disconnect + stevenblack
resource usage: ABS > uBO with all above filters :) (lighter I mean). UBO with some filters is lighter but with too many filters is not light

the lightest but great alternative for ABS is norton safe web

I tried to open 23 tabs simultaneously, norton just used maximum 2% of CPU in my laptop while avira sometimes peaked ~10%

if you can use norton if you want because it doesn't slow you down and doesn't consume resource

I removed hphosts and other filters from uBO because they increase RAM usage of uBO and slow down the browsing speed. Blocking is not so effective
That's the whole hpHosts right? Not the hpHosts Ad and Tracking in uBlock?
Why so many hosts files/domain blocking filters?
How efficient are they and how effective in blocking compared to default?

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I like that you see this, not many do, google is attaching itself with octopus like tenticles to a lot
of the places and services that are trending or generate relevent traffic. I see it too. Earlier this week I
posted in my profile I had now got rid of all contacts in Gmail (It took 3mos to complete) seeing I use encrypted
Email. I could have done it quicker by closing the acct and creating a new one but I wanted to maintain my contacts
and be respectful, but I digress. Now that Google acct is for android devices only. I am also moving away from all services and sites that "Primarialy" rely on google services or its platform. Sadly, VT is one of them. And not just google, this goes for all the Big Data collecters.
Just goes to show how competent and efficient Google are.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
That's the whole hpHosts right? Not the hpHosts Ad and Tracking in uBlock?
Why so many hosts files/domain blocking filters?
How efficient are they and how effective in blocking compared to default?
I added hphosts malware, fraud, hijack and phishing only. I didn't add exploit and ad/tracking. I think it's not a good idea to add the full hphosts because it's huge (~20Mb)
I don't think ad & tracking hphosts can block any malware/phishing link

the default filters are very poor and outdated. most of the blocked links in my video were blocked by hphosts phishing and malware
1 link was blocked by Malware Domain and nothing. That was it

hphosts are the most efficient filters. However, they are so extensive and may cause slow down.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
the default filters are very poor and outdated. most of the blocked links in my video were blocked by hphosts phishing and malware
1 link was blocked by Malware Domain and nothing. That was it

hphosts are the most efficient filters. However, they are so extensive and may cause slow down.
Don't you only need phishing and malware if that's the case or were you referring to all the filters? My question also included hosts/host-like filters other than hpHosts.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Don't you only need phishing and malware if that's the case or were you referring to all the filters? My question also included hosts/host-like filters other than hpHosts.
yeah I think. I wanted to see if the other filters can add anything to the protection

sorry I still don't fully understand your question

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
I like ABS

It has blocked sites for me that Chrome has missed.

The perfect example is the ATMSO PUP download test, Chrome without ABS will let you download it no problem, ABS blocks the download page.

But it should also be pointed out that I'm a knowledgeable yet highly risky user.

I will click on anything!!!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The perfect example is the ATMSO PUP download test, Chrome without ABS will let you download it no problem, ABS blocks the download page.
But why would you want your browser extension to block amtso test files? Their purpose is to allow you to test various protection modules of your AV. It makes little sense for a browser extension to block them.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
yes, I have Chrome too, plus Bitdefender that block malicious URL... plus ublock0 for the tracker... no need of ABS.

If it thinks cozy.io is malicious, no way.

Reactions: shmu26 and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.