Wifi Hotspot Software Recommendation

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Can anyone recommend me good paid & free wifi hotspot software?
List paid & free separately.

Win 10 64

Reactions: Logethica

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I remember reading that baidu also has a programme that allows you to use your laptop as a hotspot, link here

However I don't know how good it is and if it's even safe to use, as you know opening your computer up as a hotspot means more security issues in your system, I just wouldn't recommend it unless you really really need it

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
This one has been working very well for me:

Wifi HotSpot: Freeware Software Download

Just make sure you watch out for the PUP(s) offered with the installation process. VirusTotal results show PUP presence in the installer. But if you deselect the PUP during installation, then the program itself is clean, no malware:
Antivirus scan for 6bd0b03abd9a43ee4d157973b2de578b32feebc03c2f4cab02caf644adb69824 at 2016-01-08 03:46:34 UTC - VirusTotal
The info on this mention "Create Wireless HotSpot Without Logging In To Your PC"...what does this mean?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I remember reading that baidu also has a programme that allows you to use your laptop as a hotspot, link here

However I don't know how good it is and if it's even safe to use, as you know opening your computer up as a hotspot means more security issues in your system, I just wouldn't recommend it unless you really really need it
I tried the one mentioned above by me under Shadow Defender & worked good....OSToto Hotspot (former name 160WiFi)
Simple & easy to use, WPA2 Protection, Custom SSID & Password, NAT, etc...so whats the risk with this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
The info on this mention "Create Wireless HotSpot Without Logging In To Your PC"...what does this mean?
I have never used this feature, so I really can't say how it works. I would guess it may have to do with how it's loaded in the autorun entry, which is in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, but I don't know if that makes it load before you actually log on. The other entry I have in this is WinPatrol, for example. Maybe some more knowledgeable user reading this could tell us if using this entry will have this effect.

I tried the one mentioned above by me under Shadow Defender & worked good....OSToto Hotspot (former name 160WiFi)
Simple & easy to use, WPA2 Protection, Custom SSID & Password, NAT, etc...so whats the risk with this?
I have tried PC Faster before, but it was not effective overall, and the hotspot feature in particular never worked for me. If this works for you and you want to use the program, it's not risky - it's not malware. It's a Baidu product, and it's not very different from using other products that gather user info for advertising. The only important detail to consider, if you want to use this, and if it actually works, is that you will have a program running that does other things besides providing a hotspot for you, so you'll have some quite unnecessary overhead in case you don't appreciate the other features - which in my experience are not worth the trouble.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.